British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2021

11 minutes ago, HGould said:

Very premature comments really

Loss of form or injury to any rider can quickly change a picture.

Morris; Howarth and Douglas remaining fit will be vital and has not always been the case.

The manipulation to get the Thompsons as 1 Star Riders has given scope to build to 39 points but if either of those got injured it would certainly mean a weak tail.

Certainly strong at home with Twins excellent there but with a strong top 4 and lesser strength Away still vulnerable to a couple of the stronger Teams from 1-7.

Poole and Glasgow not out of it yet and no one would really fancy trips to Scunthorpe; Edinburgh; Redcar or Eastbourne in a 2 leg tie.

Having such a strong top four means good guests if they are absent and even RR for the top two in particular will still be a decent option..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HGould said:

Morris; Howarth and Douglas remaining fit will be vital and has not always been the case.

The manipulation to get the Thompsons as 1 Star Riders has given scope to build to 39 points but if either of those got injured it would certainly mean a weak tail.

Certainly strong at home with Twins excellent there but with a strong top 4 and lesser strength Away still vulnerable to a couple of the stronger Teams from 1-7.

Poole and Glasgow not out of it yet and no one would really fancy trips to Scunthorpe; Edinburgh; Redcar or Eastbourne in a 2 leg tie.

Don’t think there was manipulation to get the Thompson’s as 1 star riders,it was just the usual back of a fag packet rule,with no idea how to run it.As we will find out later in the season.There will be more” manipulation” no doubt.

Leicester look brilliant now it has to be said.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Leicester look brilliant now it has to be said.

Hans probably earning the easiest money in his career now in GB.Providing he gets paid.!!!

• Like 1

As a Leicester fan this is a great signing, I've always liked Hans and the way he goes about his Speedway.

He may well help us defend our league and cup titles but really outside of anybody already in the know... who cares? Will he put bums on seats? I can't imagine he's cheap.

Still a great signing, can't wait to see him in action!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

As a Leicester fan this is a great signing, I've always liked Hans and the way he goes about his Speedway.

He may well help us defend our league and cup titles but really outside of anybody already in the know... who cares? Will he put bums on seats? I can't imagine he's cheap.

Still a great signing, can't wait to see him in action!

He is very Professional and a good signing.

• Like 1

i dont think it will be kennedy as last rider but jake knight 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Not sure how it was manipulation? Any rider that hadn't rode in the Championship was given a 1* rating. Even if they'd been given a 2* a 39 point limit would still be in place.

In no world would the Thompson's be given a 3* along with Flint, Bickley etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The signing of Hans shows ambition and a complete disregard for Leicester’s finances. It’s no secret that they’ve struggled to pay riders on time in the past and there’s nothing in the way things are this year to suggest that will change.

I know the press release says the owners will bail them out but what an example to set by the vice chairman? He supports, from his own pocket, a move that basically hands the title to his team and bankrupts them at the same time. 

The other clubs can write off 2021 but they’ll have  the visit of Anderson to boost crowd numbers and, although they can expect to lose at hone, at least they’ll have decent crowds and lower wage bills.

Meanwhile, Leicester will run up 60+ borefests which will see their crowds drop. Great business move, Mr Bates. 

4 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

The signing of Hans shows ambition and a complete disregard for Leicester’s finances. It’s no secret that they’ve struggled to pay riders on time in the past and there’s nothing in the way things are this year to suggest that will change.

I know the press release says the owners will bail them out but what an example to set by the vice chairman? He supports, from his own pocket, a move that basically hands the title to his team and bankrupts them at the same time. 

The other clubs can write off 2021 but they’ll have  the visit of Anderson to boost crowd numbers and, although they can expect to lose at hone, at least they’ll have decent crowds and lower wage bills.

Meanwhile, Leicester will run up 60+ borefests which will see their crowds drop. Great business move, Mr Bates. 

I wouldn’t say Hans signing has disregard for the club’s finances, Leicester have had good amounts of fans coming to watch the racing which always goes up during the summer when the football & Rugby are having their summer break it’s not unusual to have an extra 800 fans on a nice summer Saturday night.

Leicester are also fortunate to have some very good sponsors who help support the club along with a strong supporters club with 50-50 draws nearly always being over the £350 mark meaning that riders don’t have to pay for tyres.

Looking at the league table Leicester do still have some catching up to do to go above Glasgow and I can foresee Poole being strong challengers for the title as well.

I understand that Hans was very keen to ride in the Championship but his options for clubs was quite limited by overseas commitments with Denmark on Wednesday & Friday and Polish league on Sunday so only left Saturday clubs as an option 

• Like 1

I bet Hans isn’t cheap but it will be good for teams to test themselves against the best septet in the  league, I just hope it’s not win the League at all costs  , the key for Leicester is keeping the twins fit 

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

You come across as very bitter towards Leicester and the ambitions shown by the club. Didn't you also say that the Lions would rue the signing of two 2 ponit riders (the Thompson Twins) under Dickson's team building philosophy? They are currently averaging over 9 points between the in their first season in the Championship.

32 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

You come across as very bitter towards Leicester and the ambitions shown by the club. Didn't you also say that the Lions would rue the signing of two 2 ponit riders (the Thompson Twins) under Dickson's team building philosophy? They are currently averaging over 9 points between the in their first season in the Championship.

Not that I can remember but I might be mistaken. And, if I did, then I was wrong. I’ve taken an interest in Joe and Dan since I first saw them ride 125s or maybe 150s at Northside four or five years ago, maybe even longer, and have always been impressed by the Thompson family set up. Their dad has put many hours and many pounds into supporting them, and they all deserve to succeed. 
As far as Leicester is concerned, I stand by my views on financial profligacy. But they are only my views, nothing more. 

13 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Plus the 1.54 points Leicester are currently under the 39 point limit (as they have a 1* Rising Star).

Current averages:

Douglas 8.59

Morris 8.41

Howarth 6.99

Bates 6.05

Proctor 5.42

Dan Thompson 2.00

Total 37.46

Bates 6.05 + Proctor 5.42 + 1.54 = 13.01

Hans Anderson would come in at 9.00, leaving 4.01 for the other rider

Is Hans Anderson a swedish version of the Danish rider Hans Andersen who rides for Peterborough 

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No one will be able to get close to that team and the league is over for this year. A shame as it looked like it was very close at the top but basically replacing Proctor with Hans plus the mooted one makes the league a foregone conclusion. 

Congratulations to Leicester on the title.

With Matt Ford's permission too!!!:rofl: