British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2021

4 hours ago, justathought said:

LEICESTER Speedway can update supporters with the latest fixture picture.

Stewart Dickson’s Watling JCB Lions will tackle Poole on Saturday, September 18 in the Knockout Cup Semi-Final first leg on home shale (7pm).

The return fixture in Dorset has been confirmed for Wednesday, September 29 with a place in the final against Birmingham, Edinburgh, or Glasgow on the line.

And in an exciting move, the club will host a feast of racing with a doubleheader on Saturday, September 25. They will face Kent Kings at 6 pm, featuring former Grand Prix stars Scott Nicholls and Troy Batchelor, and then a National Development League clash between the clubs will follow.

This also frees up Saturday, October 9 for a new fixture at Leicester.

The club will announce in week commencing September 13 the pricing structure for the doubleheader against Kent.

Supporters who have purchased an online ticket for the Kent fixture on September 18 will be contacted during week commencing September 13 to ascertain whether they want to switch their ticket to the new date v Kent or use it for the Poole KOC match.

Fans are reminded the next meeting at the Paul Chapman and Sons Arena, (Beaumont Park) is this Saturday against a strong Edinburgh side (7 pm).

And in the absence of any official notification, for those of you planning to go to Glasgow on Sunday 19th, the start time has been put back to 18.00hrs instead of the 15.00hrs first advised.

Any Kent fans thinking of attending the double header, be advised that if you park in the supermarket car park there is a 4 hour restriction enforced by camera, so factor in time getting to and from the stadium and cross your fingers it's all over quick enough for you to watch both matches without getting a parking fine

7 hours ago, iainb said:

Any Kent fans thinking of attending the double header, be advised that if you park in the supermarket car park there is a 4 hour restriction enforced by camera, so factor in time getting to and from the stadium and cross your fingers it's all over quick enough for you to watch both matches without getting a parking fine

I find it more sensible to park on the industrial estate for double headers.

• Like 2

Is there only 1 entrance to lions speedway, had a quick look tonight and can only see the one at the lions club ? 

21 minutes ago, ekimba said:

Is there only 1 entrance to lions speedway, had a quick look tonight and can only see the one at the lions club ? 

The entrance at the clubhouse is the only entrance for spectators. That entrance is actually the bar & car park, the stadium is a futher 5 minute walk up the hill, just walk through the car park & up the path. When you reach the stadium buy your tickets from 1 of the 2 hatches & then show it at the gate.

Thanks Steve much appreciated 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, PowerfulPierre said:

And in the absence of any official notification, for those of you planning to go to Glasgow on Sunday 19th, the start time has been put back to 18.00hrs instead of the 15.00hrs first advised.

I did spot this change. You have to be eagle eyed these days to make sure that clubs are not making fixture changes without any kind of official announcement.

We had already planned to go to this restaging. Yes, we mustn't forget that some of us went to Scotland for the original fixture that was rained off (after we'd crossed the border) on the strength of a forecast. Having paid for a hotel, we carried on and actually saw the match at Edinburgh (30 miles from Glasgow) without weather problems. But hey, that goes with the territory for the travelling fan, eh? We decided to head north again on the 19th but for all sorts of reasons we have to make the round trip on the day. A tough trip in a van but an afternoon start just about made it feasible. And then Glasgow pushed the start time back to 18:00. Well there can good reasons for such a change, I suppose, so I wrote an impassioned plea to the Glasgow management 3 days ago.

I'll let you know when I get even an acknowledgement.......

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I did spot this change. You have to be eagle eyed these days to make sure that clubs are not making fixture changes without any kind of official announcement.

We had already planned to go to this restaging. Yes, we mustn't forget that some of us went to Scotland for the original fixture that was rained off (after we'd crossed the border) on the strength of a forecast. Having paid for a hotel, we carried on and actually saw the match at Edinburgh (30 miles from Glasgow) without weather problems. But hey, that goes with the territory for the travelling fan, eh? We decided to head north again on the 19th but for all sorts of reasons we have to make the round trip on the day. A tough trip in a van but an afternoon start just about made it feasible. And then Glasgow pushed the start time back to 18:00. Well there can good reasons for such a change, I suppose, so I wrote an impassioned plea to the Glasgow management 3 days ago.

The sport is lucky to have people like False Dawn as a paying spectator. For the sake of speedway, I hope that your enthusiasm does not diminish should you encounter more late postponment of meetings.If it helps, I have contacts at the Met Office and they have assured me that over the next two weeks, there will definitely be some weather.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Was explained tonight due to dust issues on Sunday with a 3pm start has been put back to 6

10 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

The sport is lucky to have people like False dawn as a paying spectator. For the sake of speedway, I hope that your enthusiasm does not diminish should you encounter more late postponment of meetings.If it helps, I have contacts at the Met Office and they have assured me that over the next two weeks, there will definitely be some weather.

Thank you for your kind words. If my enthusiasm diminishes, I'll no longer be around.
51 years, man and boy and counting......

I too have a contact in the Met Office. He told me it's going to be sunny on the 19th.
Weather permitting.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, PowerfulPierre said:

Where abouts in the city centre will you be based? I might be able to pass that way on the way to the track dependent on where you are

Thank you so much for your kind offer PP, very much appreciated. I got a good hotel deal in Sheffield for the Saturday night so I'll drive straight there. It also takes a bit off the drive on Sunday when the Monarchs are at Newcastle.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

Just spotted a tweet posted on the Lions website highlighting that they are selling 2022 calendars, which obviously includes pictures of riders....... from this season! Wonder how many of the photos will be relevant come next March?

Well that’s it for another season. Although no trophies won this year, a good home record with some entertaining races and well contested meetings plus a few wins on the road have made it worthwhile if not memorable. 
As a wrap up to the season what do Lions fans see as the highs, lows & lessons to be learned going forward? (Also hopes and aspirations for 2022)

31 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Well that’s it for another season. Although no trophies won this year, a good home record with some entertaining races and well contested meetings plus a few wins on the road have made it worthwhile if not memorable. 
As a wrap up to the season what do Lions fans see as the highs, lows & lessons to be learned going forward? (Also hopes and aspirations for 2022)

Being an Eastie fan, would have loved your season, but as an outsider seem to have just slightly underperformed all round all season really, I had you down as champions earlier on, and even maybe at the playoffs stage. A slight improvement all round next year will surely put you in the frame again. 

Edited by gazzac

Speedway clubs should produce calendars that run March/April - March/April and use the photos from press and practice imo ......

• Like 1