British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2021

On 7/17/2021 at 8:18 PM, Fozzie4388 said:

Scunthorpe's Programme is one of the best around. For £1 you get all you need the racecard for the meeting you don't need to spend £3 on a interview you read on the internet 3 days beforehand

IMO a race card for £1 is all you need for speedway nowadays, I get a programme at Berwick each week turn to the race card section and never bother with the hackaty hack in-between. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, screm said:

IMO a race card for £1 is all you need for speedway nowadays, I get a programme at Berwick each week turn to the race card section and never bother with the hackaty hack in-between. 

Different clubs have different income streams. Some clubs who only rent their facilities only have income from Sponsorship, admissions, programme sales and advertising while all catering , bars and car park income goes to the stadium owners along with (in many cases) a hefty rental fee!!

9 hours ago, iainb said:

It's just a point I'm trying to make that the club are doing nothing to "cash in" on their success and get a bit of extra money in the coffers... you generally see quite a lot of folk at Leicester wearing other club merchandise, so I would suggest there is a market for it.

But the fact remains & something you don’t seem to accept despite being told a number of times now is the club are not responsible for the merchandise . The club make nothing from the sale of merchandise so have no interest in what they do & don’t sell. 

Contact Jbea designs regarding your issue with the lack of merchandise or will that not suit your agenda of a vendetta against the club.

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Of course it wouldn't... Even if that was the case why wasn't there a range out for Christmas 2019? Or ready for the 2020 season? The club did nothing!

I've seen people walking around wearing 2020 GP T-shirts with the original (cancelled) calendar on the back!

In fact you can still get one for £4 and they're probably still making a profit.

https://speedwaygpmerchandise.com/2020-helmet-tour-t-shirt/

you can still get one ?????? if youre into child sizes

theyre all childs sizes for £4

37 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

But the fact remains & something you don’t seem to accept despite being told a number of times now is the club are not responsible for the merchandise . The club make nothing from the sale of merchandise so have no interest in what they do & don’t sell. 

Contact Jbea designs regarding your issue with the lack of merchandise or will that not suit your agenda of a vendetta against the club.

Nobody has mentioned that about the merchandise. Why on earth are the club not responsible for their own merchandise? Why would they not be interested in promoting their success?

I have no vendetta against the club, don't be so melodramatic, I just point things out that I think could and should be done better. Hoping that somebody might take the ideas on board and start promoting the club. But all I get are responses from people on why stuff can't or shouldn't be done. I don't know if you've noticed but there's room for another few thousand people in the stadium but I suppose you enjoy it there being only 25% full?

What I don't understand is why a certain number of people on here think the club is totally beyond constructive criticism.

Edited by iainb

2 minutes ago, davieb1 said:

you can still get one ?????? if youre into child sizes

theyre all childs sizes for £4

Saw a young lad wearing one last night funnily enough... he was with his dad, I thought to myself I wonder if you realise you're dad is a cheapskate lol :rofl:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, iainb said:

Nobody has mentioned that about the merchandise. Why on earth are the club not responsible for their own merchandise? Why would they not be interested in promoting their success?

I have no vendetta against the club, don't be so melodramatic, I just point things out that I think could and should be done better. Hoping that somebody might take the ideas on board and start promoting the club. But all I get are responses from people on why stuff can't or shouldn't be done. I don't know if you've noticed but there's room for another few thousand people in the stadium but I suppose you enjoy it there being only 25% full?

What I don't understand is why a certain number of people on here think the club is totally beyond constructive criticism.

It's something that has been prevalent at many clubs in this sport for years I'm afraid. If you continue to ask pertinent questions you will very likely get the next  old chesnut 

"Well if you don't like it don't come".Yet they  still can't understand the damage that is caused by their comments.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

Because the costs of making & selling your own merchandise is astronomical money that simply the club do not have. I would much rather the Bates invested 10k  in signing a rider who could help the team then on club merchandise .

The bates tried it once at Sheffield & lost alot of money so now there sub let the selling of club merchandise to Jaybea designs for both Leicester & Sheffield. 

I just feel like everything you post on here is negative & some of the ideas you have to help are good  but can i ask why you have never offered your help/ideas  to the club ?

You have in the past criticised the track prep/staff i know  for a fact they would love your help & input at the next meeting or on a work party up there ? 

13 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

Because the costs of making & selling your own merchandise is astronomical money that simply the club do not have. I would much rather the Bates invested 10k  in signing a rider who could help the team then on club merchandise .

The bates tried it once at Sheffield & lost alot of money so now there sub let the selling of club merchandise to Jaybea designs for both Leicester & Sheffield. 

I just feel like everything you post on here is negative & some of the ideas you have to help are good  but can i ask why you have never offered your help/ideas  to the club ?

You have in the past criticised the track prep/staff i know  for a fact they would love your help & input at the next meeting or on a work party up there ? 

Why on earth would you sign a rider for £10k, nobody buys riders any more, that's just money going out of the club. Clubs need to be bringing money in. Making and selling your own merchandise shouldn't be astronomical you can get a custom t-shirt done for around a fiver and sell them on for £20, that's a healthy profit by my reckoning. Not to mention exposure for the sponsors and some promotion/publicity as people wear them around the city. You could probably get them done cheaper we do live in a city with many hosiery factory's.

Why would a club sub out their merch and have no say in what should be produced and when, perhaps they do have a say in which case Jaybea should be doing more. They even sub out some of their production of team shirts to a Polish company by the looks of it. Why wouldn't you as a club be saying, right we need a load of League Championship merchandise to cash in?

I comment as and when I see fit both positive and negative. Just recently I have praised the signing of Ans Andersen, the speed at which some of the matches have been completed and even acknowledged when there have been some good races. In fact I'm the ONLY one on here singing the praises of the club actually winning the bloody LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP... while the rest of you want to keep it a secret!!!!!! I support he club by paying my £17 week in week out, I follow the club away and was there in Glasgow on that historic night... with about 40-50 others.

But no, let's keep the double a secret, let's not make any merchandise, let's not promote the club, we don't need any more fans, we've got a nice comfortable amount coming through the turnstiles that does us just nicely thank you very much, even though 75% of the stadium is empty. Everything in the garden is rosy.

A lot of the problems I see are sport wide, it just happens that Leicester is the track I go to most often, so it gets mentioned on the Leicester thread.

I have criticised the track in the past, as many many people have, I don't think I've ever criticised any of the staff. I will openly admit and it will come as no surprise that I am no track preparation expert, I have never prepared a track in my life... I have though, seen hundreds of Speedway meetings over the years and know what a well prepared Speedway track looks like. We could probably go on for pages discussing track preparation, all I know is from my experience, is that generally what the riders like and what produces good racing for the fans are often 2 very different things, most riders would love a track that enables them to make a start and clear off at the front, why wouldn't they, it's easy money. Imo the track has not been the same since Glyn Taylor's services were dispensed with. I have no idea who does the track now and what their credentials are, where they have come from and how many tracks they had prepared before they came to Leicester.

I will continue to make posts, both positive and negative, you may agree or disagree with them, that's fine, it used to be a free world.

ATB

Iain

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Why on earth would you sign a rider for £10k, nobody buys riders any more, that's just money going out of the club. Clubs need to be bringing money in. Making and selling your own merchandise shouldn't be astronomical you can get a custom t-shirt done for around a fiver and sell them on for £20, that's a healthy profit by my reckoning. Not to mention exposure for the sponsors and some promotion/publicity as people wear them around the city. You could probably get them done cheaper we do live in a city with many hosiery factory's.

Why would a club sub out their merch and have no say in what should be produced and when, perhaps they do have a say in which case Jaybea should be doing more. They even sub out some of their production of team shirts to a Polish company by the looks of it. Why wouldn't you as a club be saying, right we need a load of League Championship merchandise to cash in?

I comment as and when I see fit both positive and negative. Just recently I have praised the signing of Ans Andersen, the speed at which some of the matches have been completed and even acknowledged when there have been some good races. In fact I'm the ONLY one on here singing the praises of the club actually winning the bloody LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP... while the rest of you want to keep it a secret!!!!!! I support he club by paying my £17 week in week out, I follow the club away and was there in Glasgow on that historic night... with about 40-50 others.

But no, let's keep the double a secret, let's not make any merchandise, let's not promote the club, we don't need any more fans, we've got a nice comfortable amount coming through the turnstiles that does us just nicely thank you very much, even though 75% of the stadium is empty. Everything in the garden is rosy.

A lot of the problems I see are sport wide, it just happens that Leicester is the track I go to most often, so it gets mentioned on the Leicester thread.

I have criticised the track in the past, as many many people have, I don't think I've ever criticised any of the staff. I will openly admit and it will come as no surprise that I am no track preparation expert, I have never prepared a track in my life... I have though, seen hundreds of Speedway meetings over the years and know what a well prepared Speedway track looks like. We could probably go on for pages discussing track preparation, all I know is from my experience, is that generally what the riders like and what produces good racing for the fans are often 2 very different things, most riders would love a track that enables them to make a start and clear off at the front, why wouldn't they, it's easy money. Imo the track has not been the same since Glyn Taylor's services were dispensed with. I have no idea who does the track now and what their credentials are, where they have come from and how many tracks they had prepared before they came to Leicester.

I will continue to make posts, both positive and negative, you may agree or disagree with them, that's fine, it used to be a free world.

ATB

Iain

Iain the questions you ask are valid questions & may i suggest you ask those questions to the club & jaybea designs instead of the consistent moaning on here.

I can assure you the club have zero say in what Jaybea sell . They sold the merchandise rights to Jaybea due to the costs & time connected to producing the items just like at around 90% of other clubs speedway is not the main source of income to the owners/promotors so on a day to day basis they have to run their other business that then in turn props up the speedway clubs so having the time to source & then deal with companies is at a premium . I don’t not know of many clubs that produce their own merchandise most of them are subbed out to other companies & Jaybea are recognised at one of the best hence why are represent so many clubs. I know all of this because I asked the same question you have regarding the clothing in 2019 along with the poor quality & got a nice reply from the club informing me of this.

When i refer to the 10k that is not to buy a riders contract more the riders loan fee to their parent club. 

35 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

Iain the questions you ask are valid questions & may i suggest you ask those questions to the club & jaybea designs instead of the consistent moaning on here.

I can assure you the club have zero say in what Jaybea sell . They sold the merchandise rights to Jaybea due to the costs & time connected to producing the items just like at around 90% of other clubs speedway is not the main source of income to the owners/promotors so on a day to day basis they have to run their other business that then in turn props up the speedway clubs so having the time to source & then deal with companies is at a premium . I don’t not know of many clubs that produce their own merchandise most of them are subbed out to other companies & Jaybea are recognised at one of the best hence why are represent so many clubs. I know all of this because I asked the same question you have regarding the clothing in 2019 along with the poor quality & got a nice reply from the club informing me of this.

When i refer to the 10k that is not to buy a riders contract more the riders loan fee to their parent club. 

You can suggest all you like... can you tell me what I am allowed to comment on, on this discussion forum? Should I run my posts by you first for moderation?

You're not going to like this but what a ridiculous thing for the club to do to just sell the merchandise rights with no say on what is or isn't produced. In most other industries that produce merchandise this is a major income stream. 

Interesting what you say about the club not being the main source of income for the promoter at 90% of Clubs, that is probably one of the main reasons why the sport is in the state it's in. I wonder what the game plan is for the promoters of a club? Is it benefactor,  self satisfaction, play thing, profitable business, love of the sport? I've always thought that some kind of fans cooperative would be a better operating model for minor sports clubs. 

I've been attending speedway since the late 70's and have watched it deteriorate year on year for every year since then. I was at BP on opening night and have watched the crowds decline since then. The current promotion will inevitably leave the club at some point in the future along with the messiah. yet I'll still be there... undoubtedly with less people standing around me. 

Edited by iainb

Is there a reason why you haven't mentioned or put your ideas and thoughts to the Leicester promotion? They might have very good reasons why they do or don't do things, but at least you'd get an answer from the horses mouth rather than speculation on here... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

You can suggest all you like... can you tell me what I am allowed to comment on, on this discussion forum? Should I run my posts by you first for moderation?

You're not going to like this but what a ridiculous thing for the club to do to just sell the merchandise rights with no say on what is or isn't produced. In most other industries that produce merchandise this is a major income stream. 

Interesting what you say about the club not being the main source of income for the promoter at 90% of Clubs, that is probably one of the main reasons why the sport is in the state it's in. I wonder what the game plan is for the promoters of a club? Is it benefactor,  self satisfaction, play thing, profitable business, love of the sport? I've always thought that some kind of fans cooperative would be a better operating model for minor sports clubs. 

I've been attending speedway since the late 70's and have watched it deteriorate year on year for every year since then. I was at BP on opening night and have watched the crowds decline since then. The current promotion will inevitably leave the club at some point in the future along with the messiah. yet I'll still be there... undoubtedly with less people standing around me. 

I am not asking you to check with me what you post nor have I asked you to. I have just become tired of your posts about the same thing time after time & simply said if these things are bothering you so much then make your points to the club directly , give them your idea’s & help them fulfil them for the better of the club. Some of points you raise are valid questions . Maybe you would consider chairing a supporters committee that could meet with the club once a month to raise concerns & opinions of the paying supporters ? The supporters club are about as much good as a chocolate tea pot & are almost ran by the clubs owners with their committee as mere puppets , so asking these hard questions to the club are impossible because the club will just withdraw the free tickets they are given every week & take their 50/50 draw off them if the supporters club stir the hornets nest too much.

Let’s not kid ourselves most promotors they run speedway for the love of the sport & for beneficial tax reasons of their main source of income. There is a reason why hardly any speedway club makes a profit .

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

Is there a reason why you haven't mentioned or put your ideas and thoughts to the Leicester promotion? They might have very good reasons why they do or don't do things, but at least you'd get an answer from the horses mouth rather than speculation on here... 

I haven't but I will do... Anyway I thought that's what these discussion forums were all about. I'll let you know what the reply is and we can discuss it some more.

2 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

Some of points you raise are valid questions . Maybe you would consider chairing a supporters committee that could meet with the club once a month to raise concerns & opinions of the paying supporters ? The supporters club are about as much good as a chocolate tea pot & are almost ran by the clubs owners with their committee as mere puppets , so asking these hard questions to the club are impossible because the club will just withdraw the free tickets they are given every week & take their 50/50 draw off them if the supporters club stir the hornets nest too much.

Let’s not kid ourselves most promotors they run speedway for the love of the sport & for beneficial tax reasons of their main source of income. There is a reason why hardly any speedway club makes a profit .

Blimey... this sounds like a coup :rofl:

I just wonder why the Bates got involved with Leicester (Don't get me wrong, I'm glad somebody has) when they already had an interest in Sheffield... was it to give Josh a team place?

Isn't Damian Bates also on the BSPL Management Committee? Maybe he's got too many fingers in too many pies to give them his full attention, a bit of plate spinning going on maybe?

The Bates family have various other successful business ventures outside of Speedway  and as the Lenny the Lion has indicated own & run both Sheffield and Leicester for their Love of the sport .

This passion for Speedway  goes right back to the early 80s when both Damian and Mark were mascots at Sheffield often going out on track before meeting along  with dad Paul a sponsor to many riders over the years.

The Bates family prefer to have very good promotors and key staff working for them with the likes of Stewart Dickson,Julie Reading,Peter Mole,Alan Jones and Karen Hudson key to the clubs operations. This means that the Bates family can operate their other businesses and not have to worry about all the administration and logistics of running a Speedway club.

With regards to Iain B comments about outsourcing of merchandise and catering at Leicester that is not unusual at all, Even the mighty Leicester City and Tigers have outsourced their conference & banqueting so they can focus on the score product the sport .

I personally think the variety of products offered by Jaybea to be good but do think the catering is lacking especially in the summer the bottom bar should be open after meetings so fans can socialise more if they wish 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1