British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2021

Eastbourne have said they were interested in having an NDL outfit for the 2021 and running a 'second team'.

That would be quite a boost to the sport as a whole and for up-and-coming riders in the South East.

Not sure if they would want to join the league but some open meetings at that level could be attractive and help bring riders on.

I suppose it would depend on how big the league was.

Quite a few riders around, I would imagine, who might enjoy riding for the Eagles, especially when they could see a progression route.

There is something worthwhile about 'growing your own'.

By the way, the news of a possible NDL team was given in the club's online magazine Flying High 3, before anyone accuses me of day dreaming.

Edited by Richard Weston
  • Thanks 1

Any increase in numbers in the National league is a boost for producing more quality young riders.

there is a rumour that a new track wishes to join.... hope this is true  

Edited by Gunner85

4 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Any increase in numbers in the National leagues a boost for producing more quality young riders.

there is a rumour that a new track wishes to join.... hope this is true  

Did you see Flying High 3 - part one of a feature on 2nd leg of KO Cup final in 1985 which Eagles fans fondly remember. You can access it through club website for free.

1985 was the season that I only missed two home matches at Thornton Road.

Fond memories of the Gunners

1 hour ago, Gunner85 said:

1985 was the season that I only missed two home matches at Thornton Road.

Fond memories of the Gunners

I went there twice, against Glasgow in 1981 and Wimbledon in 85.

3 hours ago, Islander15 said:

The return of Kelsey?

Why not, if he wishes to ride? He is popular with the fans.

Eastbourne have published provisional NDL dates. Seems it will be up to the authorities to decide whether they want an Eagles second team in NDL. Kent doing it so cannot see any reason why not.

10 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Eastbourne have published provisional NDL dates. Seems it will be up to the authorities to decide whether they want an Eagles second team in NDL. Kent doing it so cannot see any reason why not.

The more teams the better, for the likes of Mildenhall and the IOW. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

More Kent v Eastbourne meetings,and Spooner looking for a team place? :D:t:

Plenty of the 2017/2018 riders not riding anywhere else or not riding at all. Eastbourne NDL appears to be a success track but no progression elsewhere (barring Edwards who would have made it anywhere and Brennan who was raised for Speedway). 

Great to see the Lakeside backed Seagulls are planned to run in the MSDL also so the NDL team be it challenges or league fixtures will need a new name also....

Edited by Sings4Speedway
wrong

National league speedway at Eastbourne could be another forward thinking idea in the long term and create a production line of riders if they can get the mini academy track back up and running in the car park. They could then fill the bottom reserve slots with those from the academy.

in terms of the 2021 NL team, who would people like to see? Personally I would like to see Jake knight back as watching him round Arlington I’m sure defies the laws of physics! Could also see Nathan Abblit because he is an Eastbourne Asset now plus members of the 2020 Plymouth NL team like Andrews, Atkins or Davies as they won’t have a NL slot now? Can’t see either Brennan or Edwards riding in the NL next year if the points limit is stupidly being reduced, and even if they are, they probably could do with riding bigger continental tracks?

14 hours ago, TwoFourSpeed said:

National league speedway at Eastbourne could be another forward thinking idea in the long term and create a production line of riders if they can get the mini academy track back up and running in the car park. They could then fill the bottom reserve slots with those from the academy.

in terms of the 2021 NL team, who would people like to see? Personally I would like to see Jake knight back as watching him round Arlington I’m sure defies the laws of physics! Could also see Nathan Abblit because he is an Eastbourne Asset now plus members of the 2020 Plymouth NL team like Andrews, Atkins or Davies as they won’t have a NL slot now? Can’t see either Brennan or Edwards riding in the NL next year if the points limit is stupidly being reduced, and even if they are, they probably could do with riding bigger continental tracks?

Getting the academy track back and into shape would be a big bonus (despite being one of the biggest travesties in the sport when it was originally torn up).

Otherwise I think you are right with Knight. Spooner maybe Luke Harris and Richard Andrews. Then fill the rest with 3 pointers....hopefully those who are ready and not just fitting faces.

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Spooner maybe Luke Harris and Richard Andrews. Then fill the rest with 3 pointers....hopefully those who are ready and not just fitting faces.

The lower the points limit the more chance of 3.00 riders being signed up regardless of if they are ready for it or not!

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The lower the points limit the more chance of 3.00 riders being signed up regardless of if they are ready for it or not!

Obviously nobody knows if a rider is ready to make the step up as that can be decided by many baffling factors but promotions do have a responsibility to track riders with sufficient ability and skill sets. Often this is overlooked as the rider is just young, fast and has no consideration of consequences