British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2021

On 3/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, Trackerman48 said:

Birmingham will be lucky to get all the races in before the cut off time. 

Been no problem in the last few years.

• Like 1

With Eastbourne allegedly running all NL fixtures as double headers..... so £24 a meeting (no concessions ) I can see that helping to spread to exit of supporters from the stadium ....and provide a good track surface for the novice riders to ride. ( not too grippy) 

What’s the cost of car parking nowadays at Arlington ? 

12 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

With Eastbourne allegedly running all NL fixtures as double headers..... so £24 a meeting (no concessions ) I can see that helping to spread to exit of supporters from the stadium ....and provide a good track surface for the novice riders to ride. ( not too grippy) 

Parking has been free for the last 4 or 5 seasons.

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Hi Old Bob,

I remember you well from my past days on the old Lakeside forum.

Are you tempted to make a visit to Arlington this season?

55 minutes ago, M.D said:

Hi Old Bob,

I remember you well from my past days on the old Lakeside forum.

Are you tempted to make a visit to Arlington this season?

The old Lakeside forum was quite lively at times. Didn't Cookie shut it down in the end.

Yes he (or at least the club) did. It restarted as a private concern and was indeed quite lively. Cookie never missed a chance to express his contempt for on line fora. He couldn't accept that most members just wanted the club to do well. He seemed to consider supporters online to be some kind of menace, despite the fact that most were ardent fans of the Hammers, not to mention paying customers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Yes he (or at least the club) did. It restarted as a private concern and was indeed quite lively. Cookie never missed a chance to express his contempt for on line fora. He couldn't accept that most members just wanted the club to do well. He seemed to consider supporters online to be some kind of menace, despite the fact that most were ardent fans of the Hammers, not to mention paying customers.

Yeah I had a few run ins with Cookie going back with Eastie over my "involvement" with a rider and my 'internet presence', he got a bit better with me at Lakeside but I think by then he knew me better and thought he could trust me.

He did never trust or like fans on the internet who could have a say, really good bloke when you got to know him and as I said, he did change his views. Shame he's not involved in the sport These days..

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The old Lakeside forum was quite lively at times. Didn't Cookie shut it down in the end.

It wasn’t shut down. Stuart disconnected it from the club website. I think this would have been the start of the 2009 season . Stuart explained the situation at the fans pre season forum. Some of the comments were getting out of hand and a small handful, who it seems rarely if ever went anymore were quite abusive, depending on your point of view.

Stuart said that while he was working hard to find sponsors he didn’t want potential sponsors looking at the club website and finding these ( in his opinion ) unfair comments from supposed fans so he disconnected it. Fans could still have their say but it would not have a link to the clubs website. Sometime after this someone started a separate forum but both kind of withered on the vine because a lot of the genuine fans got fed up with being shouted down and left. 

Cooke was blamed by the vociferous minority, but it was Stuarts decision. Whether certain people liked the decision or not it was Stuart’s club and he was entitled to run it as he thought fit. He put a lot of money into to club after Ronnie Russell left and IMO didn’t deserve the nastiness he had from a few ex-fans.

Edited by E I Addio

I seemed to have derailed the thread somewhat but I did love my Lakeside days..

Eastbourne to have a strong season in both leagues, in Knight we have a stand out number one and in Ablitt we will have a top local prospect that will go on to make the grade in the sport.

The Eastbourne conveyer belt for speedway riders is moving once more..

50 minutes ago, M.D said:

I seemed to have derailed the thread somewhat but I did love my Lakeside days..

Eastbourne to have a strong season in both leagues, in Knight we have a stand out number one and in Ablitt we will have a top local prospect that will go on to make the grade in the sport.

The Eastbourne conveyer belt for speedway riders is moving once more..

Variety is the spice of life!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Variety is the spice of life!

It is,

But look at what Eastbourne speedway are doing as a club.

Their social media is spot on, the communication to the fans is around the best and open to the fans

If you ask them a question through various social media channels they will always give you an honest reply and quickly

They have stuck by and all English side for this season and with entering a team in this league are showing riders that there is a clear pathway to the first team.

I think that Eastbourne is pretty much the best run club in British speedway and will only get better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M.D said:

It is,

But look at what Eastbourne speedway are doing as a club.

Their social media is spot on, the communication to the fans is around the best and open to the fans

If you ask them a question through various social media channels they will always give you an honest reply and quickly

They have stuck by and all English side for this season and with entering a team in this league are showing riders that there is a clear pathway to the first team.

I think that Eastbourne is pretty much the best run club in British speedway and will only get better.

Hopefully you are right, but planning to run seven double headers hasn't gone down well with the Arlington regulars i know. Being a 10 meeting ticket holder, i have the option to leave, if it's dragging on too long. 

Fond memories of the Lakeside Fans Forum. I still have nightmares wondering whether the light bulb in the back straight gents toilets was removed after the last meeting  ? 

Was never, or ever will be, a fan of Mr J Cook  ..... (I will leave it there) but Eastbourne have moved on and are now under new leadership.  May well be tempted to visit Arlington in the summer .. some very tasty riders in the Championship this season  Crump, Craig Cook and Nicholls to name but a few. Eastbourne

The frequent double headers at £24 an evening may well put off some ...it will make for a long old meeting with modern speedway's frequent delays, and suggest all tracks need to invest in a good supply of spare fence panels.