British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2021

Just now, gazzac said:

They have given Danno a 2 year deal to give him stability, perhaps Eastbourne doing their usual and thinking long term as well as the here and now, and he has agreed to be one of the mentors for the really young riders as they get into the development leagues. I also expect he would have been thinking he was without any rides this season, at least now has a good chance of moving up and on over the next 2 years.

Exactly, Verge is signed on a 2-year deal. And, if he is an Eastbourne rider, he would not be a guest if he was brought in. A guest is only when a rider is contracted elsewhere and Verge isn't so Eastbourne could use him for any missing rider. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

t so Eastbourne could use him for any missing rider. 

No they can't.  His average is too high.    A missing rider 2-5 can only be replaced by a 3.00 rider or R/R.     

(A missing No.1 can be replaced by a guest from another NDL team).

• Like 3

They could keep releasing and resigning riders into and out of their 1 -7 weekly :drink::D

23 minutes ago, Petecc said:

They could keep releasing and resigning riders into and out of their 1 -7 weekly :drink::D

Not weekly, because a change has to stay in place for 14 days.  They could make a change every 14 days, but would soon run out of new riders to bring in, and of course once you remove a rider from the 1-7 he can't be reintroduced, unless he was removed due to injury.

My suspicions are that Verge was in the initial planned 1-7 prior to the IOW riders and Atkins becoming available. Eastbourne being a club that always seeks to gain the best chance of success switched the team around and dropped Verge down to "squad member" but on a two year deal so basically you are in next year and will be first choice replacement if anything happens to Atkins or Andrews throughout the year. There does seem to be some confusion caused to some riders signed on as squad members but its getting laps that counts this season.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

My suspicions are that Verge was in the initial planned 1-7 prior to the IOW riders and Atkins becoming available. Eastbourne being a club that always seeks to gain the best chance of success switched the team around and dropped Verge down to "squad member" but on a two year deal so basically you are in next year and will be first choice replacement if anything happens to Atkins or Andrews throughout the year. There does seem to be some confusion caused to some riders signed on as squad members but its getting laps that counts this season.

I think that's probably right on all counts and do think without this Danno would have had to sit out this year waiting for an injury to someone, or a team change somewhere. Interesting thing with him is I've only seen him a couple of times when Kent visited and have no idea really of what level he can get to, he always looked like an accident waiting to happen on our tight track (he will have so many mentors  to sort that out), unlike Atkins who will be very good, and Andrews whos probably somewhere near his top level ( not a dig as I really liked the bloke when he rode for us last). If one club can find out what his potential is it'll be Eastbourne with its current ethos. 

• Like 1

As I remember Richard Andrews was not the best of riders but high on the entertainment ladder when last an Eagle and became very popular.

However he did sometimes endanger himself and had some injuries. I would be surprised if Danno Verge does not feature in the team sometime this year.

With an inevitable gain of 14 average points up for grabs every meeting (84-70) some of the second strings or reserves may well exceed Danno's starting average

and be available to replace. The only real risk is when doubling up and that only applies to Atkins and appears to have been  allowed for in the fixture list.

You can bet that Danno is already inked in for a team place for 2022. 

Why isn’t danno verge not mentioned in the stars seagull preview.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 3:59 PM, Dickie Head said:

Why isn’t danno verge not mentioned in the stars seagull preview.

Been released as the penny has just dropped that there is no squad system this year

There was never going to be a squad system in the NL. Danno went out in all good faith to get the essential ferry sponsorship, paid for a block of tickets, obtained some other very valuable sponsorship and now has to go back to all of them and say what??

Some of his sponsors were new to the sport and may now be lost forever due to this happening. I sincerely hope not. 

• Like 2

Cruel luck for the Seagulls first match losing Henry Atkins after only 2 rides when it looked likely he would join Jake Knight on a Maximum but well done team for still getting an away point.

It was possibly the first time any of them had been to Beaumont Park  so it was some achievement.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hunters said:

Cruel luck for the Seagulls first match losing Henry Atkins after only 2 rides when it looked likely he would join Jake Knight on a Maximum but well done team for still getting an away point.

It was possibly the first time any of them had been to Beaumont Park  so it was some achievement.

It was a super fightback - they didn't let their heads drop. Nathan Ablitt was a little star.

Rotten luck for Henry. Hope it’s a quick fix meantime I wonder if Danno’s phone has tinkled this morning.

4 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

Rotten luck for Henry. Hope it’s a quick fix meantime I wonder if Danno’s phone has tinkled this morning.

Depends on the shoulder diagnosis, if it's a recurrence of an old injury and keeps doing it, its normally an operation to rectify it, might be able to ride with it heavily strapped but never a good solution. ( I know from motocross days).

If that is the case or a likelihood I would be sure Danno's phone was tinkled this morning. 

6 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

Doubt it !! They’ll use RR as everyone can take a ride !!