British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
W9 Lion

Leicester Lion Cubs 2021

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

To be fare to ‘ Ghosty ‘ he/she makes a good point. We are expecting a complete novice new to the NDL , who may race once a fortnight if he’s lucky to then race against a rider who turns out twice a week in the championship and perhaps once a week against Grand Prix standard riders?

Trying to get new fans is hard enough when you say our rider ‘X’ also rides for another team in a higher/ lower division ?

Theres an imbalance there that you simply cannot explain to non speedway folk with any sense of credibility.

Obviously the "plan" to create positions in CL teams so riders were forced to move up and out of the NDL has been scrapped rather than expanded (because it was poorly thought out once again) but there still could have been dare i say it "sensible restrictions" placed upon team building in both NDL and CL. Its been seen time and time again when a 2/3 point reserve takes to the track with a 10+ heatleader and surprise surprise the racing is processional. If the Upper cap of averages was limited it would force the level of riders to be closer together and just might create better racing and development of riders. 

If the cap was a 10 point average then only two riders would have been ineligible from the NL (Gilkes & Thompson) if it was 9 those two plus Kinsley and Jenkins would be forced to move on. Hardly dramatic but would keep rider ability levels closer together. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Obviously the "plan" to create positions in CL teams so riders were forced to move up and out of the NDL has been scrapped rather than expanded (because it was poorly thought out once again) but there still could have been dare i say it "sensible restrictions" placed upon team building in both NDL and CL. Its been seen time and time again when a 2/3 point reserve takes to the track with a 10+ heatleader and surprise surprise the racing is processional. If the Upper cap of averages was limited it would force the level of riders to be closer together and just might create better racing and development of riders. 

If the cap was a 10 point average then only two riders would have been ineligible from the NL (Gilkes & Thompson) if it was 9 those two plus Kinsley and Jenkins would be forced to move on. Hardly dramatic but would keep rider ability levels closer together. 

Which would the lead to average fixing so not an answer at all ( yes, it has gone on ).

The NDL is supposed to be a ‘ development ‘ league not a ‘ boost your earnings ‘ league so, if your good enough , move up a league and give another ‘ novice ‘ a chance of a team place in the NDL. There’s riders already declared in the NDL AND Championship who say their disappointed to not yet have a Premiership place, which is ridiculous. We only have a small amount of NDL teams so a small amount of places to develop , so let’s use them wisely.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 2:57 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Both Gilkes & D Thompson are still very inexperienced having ridden only 1 season at Champ level, so they are clearly still "developing" is that not what the NDL is for?

Just because a rider is good doesn't mean he shouldn't race in NDL imo. I guess you could argue any U21 rider should be allowed to stay in the NDL (if they want to)?

On 1/7/2022 at 12:08 PM, PowerfulPierre said:

I take your point regarding the credibility of the sport, but riding in all 3 leagues didn't do Ellis Perks any harm and he arguably won us the league with his heroics up in Glasgow. I'll settle for Dan being given opportunities to build on what he's already achieved. This will hopefully be a massive year for him coming on!

Racing in all 3 leagues would certainly suit the rider in question, but I think it's a shame if some riders can't get a team or only have one team, while others have 3. My other thought is, if you're good enough for the Prem you're too good for the NDL!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 2:57 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

I think the RS system worked too well, most of the reserves are now second strings, so to keep the RS system would mean moving up the next bunch on prospects, who are far weaker & Champ sides don't want to weaken their league!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I think the RS system worked too well, most of the reserves are now second strings, so to keep the RS system would mean moving up the next bunch on prospects, who are far weaker & Champ sides don't want to weaken their league!

But that was how the RS system was billed, as a non stop conveyor belt. It was obvious too many that it wouldn't happen/work and that it was just capitalising on a particular year with a stronger crop of riders than usual. If a system for succession is put in place then stick to it and do something to actually help it succeed. As ever the great 5 year masterplans get dropped after a year or two because they are flawed, ill conceived and poorly regarded by the idiots who introduced them in the first place. 

• Like 3

On 1/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, szkocjasid said:

Racing in all 3 leagues would certainly suit the rider in question, but I think it's a shame if some riders can't get a team or only have one team, while others have 3. My other thought is, if you're good enough for the Prem you're too good for the NDL!

But the PL no 8s may not get any rides.

Not sure how much Dan (mainly) and Joe (to a lesser extent) will benefit from another season at this level. It might well be additional laps but I can’t see either of them having to ‘race’ for many points. Hopefully their home performances will not lead any complacency that could be carried forward to Championship level. I don’t know what the third tier pays but presumably it justifies the time and expenses incurred at this level?

12 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Not sure how much Dan (mainly) and Joe (to a lesser extent) will benefit from another season at this level. It might well be additional laps but I can’t see either of them having to ‘race’ for many points. Hopefully their home performances will not lead any complacency that could be carried forward to Championship level. I don’t know what the third tier pays but presumably it justifies the time and expenses incurred at this level?

Last season, both riders went through a tough patch with low scores and, in my opinion, the scarcity of NL fixtures at the time did not allow them any confidence re-building rides. Extra track time is always welcomed by both.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:00 PM, ljriley90 said:

Do ndl riders get points money or expenses for making it to tapes

They get points money and travel expenses.  Neither of which make the racing profitable in any way especially with the current prices of diesel.

Some riders I have been involved with this has been £10 a point and 10p a mile.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 1:02 AM, rcgods said:

They get points money and travel expenses.  Neither of which make the racing profitable in any way especially with the current prices of diesel.

Some riders I have been involved with this has been £10 a point and 10p a mile.

Thanks for the info

Interesting developments. Max James has had a brand new kevlars made up in the Leicester Lion Cubs branding so who is he coming into replace ? 

He already had a Lions set now had the Cubs ones made specifically  .

Edited by Lenny Lion

18 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

Interesting developments. Max James has has a brand new kevlars made up in the Leicester Lion Cubs branding so who is he coming into replace ? 

He already had a Lions set no had the Cubs ones made specifically  .

Who knows :rofl:  seriously though probably going to happen after the Belle Vue away fixture, leaves 3 league fixtures (plus play offs) and maintains a nice clean 3.00 average to start next season on.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 4:54 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Who knows :rofl:  seriously though probably going to happen after the Belle Vue away fixture, leaves 3 league fixtures (plus play offs) and maintains a nice clean 3.00 average to start next season on.

If that's 7 in total max will get an average as playoffs count towards them. No team can make changes after the 28th of August as that's the cut off date. Decision is do Leicester drop mickie Simpson as he moves to reserve at next meeting as max Perry goes to number 2. Do team James take the opportunity and get an average for next season. Its 4 meetings and it kicks in cups playoffs league all are officially counted. 

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Thanks 1