Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TonyE

Vaccine surpluses

Recommended Posts

Due to 'over-ordering' it seems that UK will be in a position to help other countries out i.e. give them that we we do not need.

This, in my opinion, is true 'Foreign Aid' and perhaps the cost of doing so should be met from that budget.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Surely it is a long time in the future before surplus becomes a reality, given the global supply issues. I assume the "over ordering" is a result of ordering from multiple manufacturers, to cover against one or more being unable to supply, or prove less effective.

If the UK does give the surplus vaccines to poorer countries that is a good gesture (i agree this is "foreign aid") though conversely, i guess they may cancel some orders once it is apparent the uk does not need them? (Or if orders are not cancellable, then the uk would simply be avoiding them going to waste)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, waiheke1 said:

Surely it is a long time in the future before surplus becomes a reality, given the global supply issues. I assume the "over ordering" is a result of ordering from multiple manufacturers, to cover against one or more being unable to supply, or prove less effective.

If the UK does give the surplus vaccines to poorer countries that is a good gesture (i agree this is "foreign aid") though conversely, i guess they may cancel some orders once it is apparent the uk does not need them? (Or if orders are not cancellable, then the uk would simply be avoiding them going to waste)

How is vaccination going in NZ?

Have they done the whole 5 million population?

Oh, no, just read in The Guardian that NZ is planning to take a whole year starting from three days ago!

Poor show.

Edited by DC2

Share this post


Link to post

Israel has administered at least one dose of the vaccine to over half its 9.3 million population.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DC2 said:

How is vaccination going in NZ?

Have they done the whole 5 million population?

Oh, no, just read in The Guardian that NZ is planning to take a whole year starting from three days ago!

Poor show.

They might argue it's less critical in NZ given there's almost no cases of COVID. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

They might argue it's less critical in NZ given there's almost no cases of COVID. 

Are they happy to open up to uk tourists now then?

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Are they happy to open up to uk tourists now then?

Since when has the UK been open to tourists?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Since when has the UK been open to tourists?

May 17.

New Zealand?

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, DC2 said:

How is vaccination going in NZ?

Have they done the whole 5 million population?

Oh, no, just read in The Guardian that NZ is planning to take a whole year starting from three days ago!

Poor show.

You are seriously having a dig at NZ because our vaccination programme will be completed around 5 months after the UK ? When we currently have THREE cases compared to the UKs circa 1.5MILLION?  Would it even be ethical for us to push to get a greater chunk of the works vaccine supply more quickly, at the expense of those that need it? 

As Humph points out, we clearly have less of an urgency. We were never going to be able to complete on time for this winter, so next summer is fine. No huge rush given it is essentially about kickstarting international tourism, rather than immediate health mitigation. 

I doubt in any case that completion of the vaccination programme will mean we open immediately to UK tourists - it will be gradual, starting with low risk neighbours like Aussie, the PI and then likely some parts of Asia.

 

Apologies if my original post came across as a dig at the UK - It was not intended as such, merely pointimg out that it would be some time before the Uk has vaccine surplus in reality.

 

Share this post


Link to post

No, I wasn’t having a dig at NZ, I was asking a question.

It’s all well and good being Covid free but if your economy relies on tourism you have to vaccinate and open up.

No idea if NZ relies on tourism to the extent that Spain does?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, DC2 said:

No, I wasn’t having a dig at NZ, I was asking a question.

It’s all well and good being Covid free but if your economy relies on tourism you have to vaccinate and open up.

No idea if NZ relies on tourism to the extent that Spain does?

So when you said "poor show" that wasn't a dig?

Nz's 2nd biggest export earner was tourism. However, that has been partly offset by cashed up kiwis returning home, and massively increased domestic tourism. 

So our economy has taken a hit, but because the virus has been -for now- effectively eliminated, it means the domestic economy can largely function unimpeded - sports events and concerts with no restrictions on attendance, hospitality industry open etc

Very few kiwis would trade where we are right now i suspect. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Well, yes, in that sense it’s a dig at any first world country that isn’t vaccinating quickly.

What’s NZ’s excuse?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, DC2 said:

Well, yes, in that sense it’s a dig at any first world country that isn’t vaccinating quickly.

What’s NZ’s excuse?

We haven't received enough vaccinnes to vaccinate the population because there is a global shortage? 

And there is no compelling health reason to accelerate vs the planned schedule.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy