British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StevePark

Newcastle "BTS" Gems 2021

Taken from Newcastle Speedway Facebook Page:

Max Clegg will lead the Newcastle "BTS" Gems side into the 2021 National Development League season, at the most important time in British Speedway, as it's vital for the development of young British talent with the new Rising Star scheme now in place which the top two leagues have implemented.

Coming on board with Clegg is new asset, Joe Alcock, and the home town triumvirate of Josh Embleton, Archie Freeman and Danny Smith, while the club have confirmed that advanced conversations are being held to complete the side with the last two riders soon to be announced.

Club owner, Rob Grant said: "Newcastle will operate double-headers on many Sundays, with Championship matches running first then followed by the National Development League, and with the earlier regular start time of 4pm at all our meetings, this will allow better value with 30 heats a-night, and highlights Newcastle's emphasis on developing British youngsters in readiness for rising into the Championship in seasons to come.

"We at Newcastle are very much making a natural path to run from the Northern Junior League through to National Development League, and then hopefully to the Championship with the Diamonds, and this will also help Newcastle develop their own asset base and create a good foundation to work from in the future."

• Like 1

BRILLIANT NEWS!! Not only does this mean that we must be riding in the league itself rather than the trophy, it means the Max can be more involved within the club, which can only be a good thing. Nice to see Danny, Josh and Archie all getting team places, being Newcastle born and bred and good to see club asset Joe getting a team place. Wonder if Josh out performs Joe in the Gems how long Joe will last as the Diamonds' number 7? A lot of pressure and friendly rivalry in the team, which is good.

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Josh Embleton 4.83

4. Joe Alcock 4.36

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

Total: 22.33

Left: ?.??

The main question is now. What is the points limit, and how much do we have left to play with for the final 2 riders. Personally would like to see Jamie Halder back, but not sure whether that'll happen, all will come clear soon I'm sure.

P.S. THJ, you got any clues? ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dandelion said:

BRILLIANT NEWS!! Not only does this mean that we must be riding in the league itself rather than the trophy, it means the Max can be more involved within the club, which can only be a good thing. Nice to see Danny, Josh and Archie all getting team places, being Newcastle born and bred and good to see club asset Joe getting a team place. Wonder if Josh out performs Joe in the Gems how long Joe will last as the Diamonds' number 7? A lot of pressure and friendly rivalry in the team, which is good.

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Josh Embleton 4.83

4. Joe Alcock 4.36

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

The main question is now. What is the points limit, and how much do we have left to play with for the final 2 riders. Personally would like to see Jamie Halder back, but not sure whether that'll happen, all will come clear soon I'm sure.

As I understand it 12.67 left  plenty of points available for a fairly strong team. 

8 hours ago, Dandelion said:

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Josh Embleton 4.83

4. Joe Alcock 4.36

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

A very positive start. Max will be a big draw in the NL, Archie really impressed me in 2020 and after his efforts for Leicester Cubs I am a big fan of Josh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

As I understand it 12.67 left  plenty of points available for a fairly strong team. 

If its 35 then the team could be very top heavy. It currently totals 25.33 so only 9.67 left, even with a 3 pointer like Ryan Mac i have fears for the worst number 5 in league history and a point under the limit.

About five years ago, I commented that Clegg was too good for the NL: he certainly is now. He should have moved on a long time ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Islander15 said:

Good news!

Maybe they’ll finish with Phillips and another 3 pointer. 

I very much doubt it, but that's just a guess.

The other issue i see is how much benefit is there for Clegg to be in the NL side when its double headers. He will have already taken 4 + rides and then be facing another 5 maybe 6 with RR in play in the NL fixture. I know he will be unbeatable when running at home but its going to take a serious toll on his machinery as well as his focus. Not to mention if it all goes pear shaped in the main meeting the talisman would be missing for the second half. Without Clegg the team could have had 2 x 7-8 point riders and likely a bigger points return overall.

Well if the limit IS 35 points, I'll take this team to watch every Sunday evening thank you very much :)

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Joe Alcock 4.36

3. David Wallinger 3.87

4. Josh Embleton 4.83

5. Leon Flint 8.80

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

Total: 35.00 exactly

Don't see it anywhere that Leon is with Armadale again? But if he is I'm sure there's many other options with the 8.80 left... James Sarjeant for example? Two big hitters will help the kids (And Wallinger) along nicely. Tom Perry (8.50) would be a welcome addition for me as I've always enjoyed watching him, but I'm not sure if he rides anymore??? He will bring a lot of experience to the side at this level too.

Edited by Dandelion

3 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Well if the limit IS 35 points, I'll take this team to watch every Sunday evening thank you very much :)

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Joe Alcock 4.36

3. David Wallinger 3.87

4. Josh Embleton 4.83

5. Leon Flint 8.80

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

Total: 35.00 exactly

Don't see it anywhere that Leon is with Armadale again? But if he is I'm sure there's many other options with the 8.80 left... James Sarjeant for example? Two big hitters will help the kids (And Wallinger) along nicely

Suggest you buy a new calculator  :rofl:   

(presume you mean the limit will be 38.00 exactly?)

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Suggest you buy a new calculator  :rofl:   

(presume you mean the limit will be 38.00 exactly?)

Whoops :blush: No, I've just been using the same spreadsheet for the NL teams as I have the CL teams and not moved the sum total cell to include all 7 riders, only the top 6 (Yes, I'm sad enough to make a spreadsheet this year, because there doesn't seem to be anywhere that displays all the teams, not even the official speedway gb website!!)

FINE!! 9.67 left for the last rider. How about Jack Smith and Kieran Douglas.

1. Max Clegg

2. Archie Freeman (Ryan MacDonald)

3. Josh Embleton

4. Joe Alcock

5. Jack Smith

6. Kieran Douglas (Archie Freeman)

7. Danny Smith

As I say, all will be revealed