British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StevePark

Newcastle "BTS" Gems 2021

On 2/22/2021 at 12:57 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

The point you make about Josh and the team building limit is quite valid. Riders need to be careful, too good a run of form in a short season could easily see averages increase by 3-4 points, now not knocking Josh just using him as an example but if he ends the season on an 8.5 average will he truly get signed up as a number 1 next year? If not and he doesn't land a CL spot he could just as quickly be frozen out of the sport as he got into it. If the team building average is set low then it needs to stay low for the next few seasons at least but riders must be prepared that success via artificially inflated averages will come at a cost to some.

As per Connor Mountain!

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

As per Connor Mountain!

Perfect example of a good British rider making his way nicely in the sport with good steady progress and could potentially end up being cast aside rather than making the grade of PL heat leader i believe he could achieve. 

On 2/22/2021 at 12:04 AM, Dandelion said:

BRILLIANT NEWS!! Not only does this mean that we must be riding in the league itself rather than the trophy, it means the Max can be more involved within the club, which can only be a good thing. Nice to see Danny, Josh and Archie all getting team places, being Newcastle born and bred and good to see club asset Joe getting a team place. Wonder if Josh out performs Joe in the Gems how long Joe will last as the Diamonds' number 7? A lot of pressure and friendly rivalry in the team, which is good.

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Josh Embleton 4.83

4. Joe Alcock 4.36

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

Total: 22.33

Left: ?.??

The main question is now. What is the points limit, and how much do we have left to play with for the final 2 riders. Personally would like to see Jamie Halder back, but not sure whether that'll happen, all will come clear soon I'm sure.

P.S. THJ, you got any clues? ;)

I know Max Clegg has been named but I'm not sure if that's a good idea for him or the league.  I'd rather see someone like Jack Smith or Joe Lawler pushing for a CL place. I guess the old Stoke assets come into the equation but it would be great to see Harry McGurk in one of the 2nd string roles.

3 minutes ago, enotian said:

I know Max Clegg has been named but I'm not sure if that's a good idea for him or the league.  I'd rather see someone like Jack Smith or Joe Lawler pushing for a CL place. I guess the old Stoke assets come into the equation but it would be great to see Harry McGurk in one of the 2nd string roles.

Lawlor at Leicester? Smith has really gone off the boil.  I agree and dont see many benefits for Clegg. The Stoke links have plenty of push for both team places but im not sure how long Alcock will remain protected. 

On 2/24/2021 at 11:09 PM, enotian said:

Chances are at least one McGurk will be off to Belle Vue and with both Berwick and Edinburgh looking for top 5 riders to fill up their NDL sides it will be interesting to see who we pull out of the bag.

Get Blair signed up before Berwick do!

9 hours ago, mac101 said:

Ryan Terry daily signed 

Pretty happy with that tbh, might not be the youngest and biggest talent, but he's a decent little rider, plenty of national league experience and will do a decent job imo. Also his partnership with Josh Embleton from Leicester will be good. Welcome Ryan, looking forward to seeing you ride Brough :t:

Am I right to assume that Wallinger will be the last signing?

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Joe Alcock 4.36

3. Ryan Terry-Daley 5.44

4. Josh Embleton 4.83

5. David Wallinger 3.87

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

Total: 34.64

Unless if Kelsey Dugard (Who now lives up here does he not?) comes in on a 3.35 or something stupid like Paul Burnett comes in from his Stoke days, I don't see what other logical rider there is. What average is Greg Blair coming in on? Can we steal him from Berwick?

Hope it's an interesting name whatever it is... A returning Jason King or Derek Sneddon on an assessed 4.00 average :D Haha

6 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Joe Alcock 4.36

3. Ryan Terry-Daley 5.44

4. Josh Embleton 4.83

5. David Wallinger 3.87

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

Unless if Kelsey Dugard (Who now lives up here does he not?) comes in on a 3.35 or something stupid like Paul Burnett comes in from his Stoke days, I don't see what other logical rider there is. What average is Greg Blair coming in on? Can we steal him from Berwick?

Hope it's an interesting name whatever it is... A returning Jason King or Derek Sneddon on an assessed 4.00 average :D Haha

That team is as I believe this league should be several up and coming riders and a couple of experienced ones to pass on advice and encouragement and score a few points. A very similar thing to scunthorpe in 2005 with Wayne Carter as the experience and a load of young lads with limited experience. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

That team is as I believe this league should be several up and coming riders and a couple of experienced ones to pass on advice and encouragement and score a few points. A very similar thing to scunthorpe in 2005 with Wayne Carter as the experience and a load of young lads with limited experience. 

Exactly... "Older" riders should be allowed to ride in this league, despite what everyone argues... Put a team of teens together and it'd be carnage, and who are they gonna learn things like setups from???

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

1. Max Clegg 10.14

2. Joe Alcock 4.36

3. Ryan Terry-Daley 5.44

4. Josh Embleton 4.83

5. David Wallinger 3.87

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

As not Dave wallinger stopped riding?

19 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

As not Dave wallinger stopped riding?

I haven't heard anything along them lines? I hope he hasn't like

11 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

I haven't heard anything along them lines? I hope he hasn't like

Just thought I had seen some where he said he was because of work, but not 100% sure

• Like 1

So they’ve decimated the points limit to get young riders in yet riders like RTD who will be a career NL rider gets signed up. Now the rumour is Wallinger will join him! 

Either there’s no problem with riders being in the NL long-term and we support all Brits. Or the rules should properly facilitate the upward movement of young British riders when they are ready and deserve to move upwards. Whilst not taking away team places from other Brits and foreign riders being on low averages. 

• Like 1

I think your all jumping the gun as Wallinger isn’t planning on riding as he’s committed to Drew Kemps backup team and has not been approached by Newcastle to ride or anyone else.

But if he did join us, then that’s fine by me. The lad has been Mr. Unlucky with injuries and being mucked about ( by the BSPA ) and if he had an injury free run he’d do a good job for the team as he rides the track well.