British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StevePark

Newcastle "BTS" Gems 2021

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

So they’ve decimated the points limit to get young riders in yet riders like RTD who will be a career NL rider gets signed up. Now the rumour is Wallinger will join him! 

Either there’s no problem with riders being in the NL long-term and we support all Brits. Or the rules should properly facilitate the upward movement of young British riders when they are ready and deserve to move upwards. Whilst not taking away team places from other Brits and foreign riders being on low averages. 

I have no issues with David personally believe his in the pits experience would be good for a young development side. Also hope that IOW supporters don't become bitter towards the league and its riders remember it's your club who have refused to ride thus taking away 7 team spots.

26 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

I have no issues with David personally believe his in the pits experience would be good for a young development side. Also hope that IOW supporters don't become bitter towards the league and its riders remember it's your club who have refused to ride thus taking away 7 team spots.

Wallinger would be good value on his low average but I don’t think he’ll ride.

By the looks of the latest IOW press release they are extremely bitter with the BSPA and Mildenhall but If IOW wanted to run in a more ‘ professional ‘ division they should have considered moving up. It is a shame they’re not running but it’s they’re decision.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Absolutely not bitter. Just look at my footer and you’ll know I’m hardly against the NL :rolleyes:  I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy. No disrespect to Wallinger or Newcastle here, as I said it’s the rules and club’s of course should be allowed to make whatever decisions they choose to within those rules. 

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Islander15 said:

So they’ve decimated the points limit to get young riders in yet riders like RTD who will be a career NL rider gets signed up. Now the rumour is Wallinger will join him! 

Either there’s no problem with riders being in the NL long-term and we support all Brits. Or the rules should properly facilitate the upward movement of young British riders when they are ready and deserve to move upwards. Whilst not taking away team places from other Brits and foreign riders being on low averages. 

Personally I just want to see Brits fill team places in all the leagues first, then fill up spaces with foreigners, a riders age shouldn't go against him!  

While I have nothing against a "career NL" rider racing in the NL, I'm guessing it's not what the powers that be envisioned the league becoming! It just goes to show a low points limit doesn't guarantee riders with the most potential will get signed up, just riders on low averages will get signed up!

• Like 2

Bit surprised with this one tbh... thought he was nailed on at eastbourne. Happy to see kelsey ride though, good luck to the gems in 2021 :t:

11 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Bit surprised with this one tbh... thought he was nailed on at eastbourne. Happy to see kelsey ride though, good luck to the gems in 2021 :t:

Might be slightly telling that Eastbourne have let him sign on a full transfer. Will certainly be interesting to see him back and how he applies himself

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Might be slightly telling that Eastbourne have let him sign on a full transfer. Will certainly be interesting to see him back and how he applies himself

Dugard is a surprise , the lad appears to have a little bit of talent but it also appears his commitment has been lacking in the past. He’s also working as Barkers mechanic ? Well I hope that works out for him !

On paper it’s not a bad side. Clegg should be unbeatable around our track, I expect Josh and Archie also to be good at home and give support to Terry-Daley, if Dugard settles in quickly ( he hasn't got much option) then we’ll be fine at home, which is where it counts.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, Ringitsneck said:

On paper it’s not a bad side. Clegg should be unbeatable around our track, I expect Josh and Archie also to be good at home and give support to Terry-Daley, if Dugard settles in quickly ( he hasn't got much option) then we’ll be fine at home, which is where it counts.

Personally I think the team looks pretty weak on paper, they just have to hope the other 7 teams are equally as weak!

14 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Personally I think the team looks pretty weak on paper, they just have to hope the other 7 teams are equally as weak!

Teams don’t ride on paper, and we have all seen times when a side was written off before the start and it did quite well, Newcastle being one of them !

Clegg should go through the season pretty much unbeaten home and away! But there’s not even a third heat leader there, let alone a second heat leader. Howeber Embleton and Alcock will probably get dialled in at home pretty quickly to provide some useful back-up and hopefully RTD can too to pack in for the 3-3s behind the league’s numerous big hitters. With the league generally so weak otherwise, I actually think it’s a decent bottom 3. Dugard has been around long enough to hold his own at number 2 and beat the countless newbies. Whilst Freeman looks one of the better 3.00 riders, especially at home. So I think the Gems will do just fine. They might not win by much very often but it looks like a side that should have a useful home record as a minimum. 

Not sure anyone will be too bothered about the Gem's results.  I think those interested realise it's about rider development and will be happy to see three local lads progress.  We love a local hero up here you know (some old fart once even wrote a terrible tune about it ;)).

However, if they come off the back of some Diamonds home defeats I can imagine you'll not need to worry about social distancing....

50 minutes ago, enotian said:

Not sure anyone will be too bothered about the Gem's results.  I think those interested realise it's about rider development and will be happy to see three local lads progress.  We love a local hero up here you know (some old fart once even wrote a terrible tune about it ;)).

However, if they come off the back of some Diamonds home defeats I can imagine you'll not need to worry about social distancing....

As long as it is genuine improvement and not just the 3.00 riders beating the other 3.00 riders that they beat in the NJL anyway. 

• Like 2

Interesting listening to all the N.L. Riders ( new and experienced ) chatting in the pits at the weekend. It appears not much notice being taken of cutback style pay rates for this season at some clubs. New riders being offered more than there more established team mates, ( that doesn’t make harmony in a team ) , some clubs not paying travelling expenses , was never much anyway but with a new northern bias there’s now some expensive trips to be made. 
Just goes to show that it’s not a level playing field even at the bottom of the ladder.

Gems lads who took part looked sharp, Alcock unrecognisable in red, Archie good in parts ,shame about the fall ( chain induced ), Dugard fast at times, Danny a little rusty from the gate.

Those new Anlas tyres lasting 3 rides didn’t go down well and that was at N.L. level.

Looking forward to the season getting under way properly now.

Edited by Ringitsneck
Spelling