British Speedway Forum

I see the Government have said today that if the data allows at the time sports venues  can reopen on May 17th. That is with a limit related to the capacity of the venue. I take that as good news for Speedway, as only some of our announced fixtures needing to be rearranged.

The only thing that could allow an earlier start is for Speedway to be included in some test event capacity.......

• Like 1

Both realistic and manageable, but we may yet be overtaken by events.

It should be relatively straight forward for most teams to simply postpone the first couple of meetings. I imagine that the 1000 or 50% limit will mean that we continue to have admission by pre-purchased ticket.

Aside from unforseen setbacks the biggest unknown is how much of a relaxation there will be on international travel restrictions.

• Like 1

Very good news

Some events last Autumn were pilot events so we may see a bit of action before May 17.

• Like 1

Be careful...what’s the interpretation of .?...” If successful, "up to 10,000 people or 25% of total seated capacity, whichever is lower" will be allowed in stadiums for sporting events, but not before 17 May.“

If a speedway club has only enough seats for 150-200 ( about the norm at a lot of tracks ) then 25% of that is not viable.

Im sure there will be other twists and turns but I hope that is not a hardened fact type statement.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Be careful...what’s the interpretation of .?...” If successful, "up to 10,000 people or 25% of total seated capacity, whichever is lower" will be allowed in stadiums for sporting events, but not before 17 May.“

If a speedway club has only enough seats for 150-200 ( about the norm at a lot of tracks ) then 25% of that is not viable.

Im sure there will be other twists and turns but I hope that is not a hardened fact type statement.

50 % or 4000 capacity.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You are discussing the wrong part of the statement.

League Speedway will be governed by the 50% or 4000, whichever is lower. Which would be fine for most except a 'bumper' bank holiday crowd

Cardiff would be a different matter ... perhaps July will be under different rules ?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Thanks 1

Every venue will have a maximum capacity set by the Health & Safety exec.

Clubs will know exactly what that is and plan accordingly.

So pleased that Poole have not scheduled any home meetings til end May - the only question being will any of their 3 scheduled early May away meetings be able to take place?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

You are discussing the wrong part of the statement.

League Speedway will be governed by the 50% or 4000, whichever is lower. Which would be fine for most except a 'bumper' bank holiday crowd

Cardiff would be a different matter ... perhaps July will be under different rules ?

Welsh rules

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Who has ever seen a published figure for the "capacity" of any UK speedway stadium    ???  (NOT the Rugby Stadium in Wales)

I was absolute shocked by this but Dale Allitt a couple of weeks ago said King's Lynn's capacity was 10,465. This is not a typo, 10,465 :o:o