British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Heedthebaw

Berwick Bullets 2021

18 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep I get and respect that but there also comes a point where you have to step out of your comfort zone and push yourself to see how good you can be. 

I fully agree. I don't really know why Kyle hasn't been able to kick on like others around him. He has been raised from a young age to be a professional speedway rider, has secured astonishing sponsorship deals over the years and yet has been unable to unlock the talent he clearly possesses at a consistent higher level. I fear that unless he starts to burn bright soon he might burn out of love for the sport.

2 minutes ago, OML said:

If you "increase" the limit to 39 or 40, you are weakening the league by a further 2 or 3 points. The league's average at the end of every season has to be 42 points (less a few 3-2's and 5-0's), 7 riders x 4 rides x 1.5 points per heat (6 points divided by 4 riders per heat). If you want to keep the league at the same standard next season as this, the limit has to be 42, anything lower weakens the league further, anything higher increases the standard. Its basic maths, but people, especially those who set the rules, don't seem to understand this.

In terms of weakening the product i am 100% in agreeance with you. I was highly against the reduced limit from the start as it was clear that lesser riders would appear, averages would be inflated and the product would ultimately become poorer (which of course is what the powers that be wanted as the NDL was a serious threat to the viability of the CL). 

What would be nice to see though is some actual consistency, if the limit was cut due a long term (poorly thought out) plan then at least stick with it and take accountability when it fails or admit that it was gotten very much wrong and back track. The constant yo-yoing on team building points limits does nothing for anyone except leave a few riders lumbered with inflated averages.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OML said:

If you "increase" the limit to 39 or 40, you are weakening the league by a further 2 or 3 points. The league's average at the end of every season has to be 42 points (less a few 3-2's and 5-0's), 7 riders x 4 rides x 1.5 points per heat (6 points divided by 4 riders per heat). If you want to keep the league at the same standard next season as this, the limit has to be 42, anything lower weakens the league further, anything higher increases the standard. Its basic maths, but people, especially those who set the rules, don't seem to understand this.

That depends on how many teams in the league. 42 is the starting point for a league of the same size. Assuming riders can't be magiced out of nowhere then the average has to go down if the league expands, but can go up if it contracts.

11 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In terms of weakening the product i am 100% in agreeance with you. I was highly against the reduced limit from the start as it was clear that lesser riders would appear, averages would be inflated and the product would ultimately become poorer (which of course is what the powers that be wanted as the NDL was a serious threat to the viability of the CL). 

What would be nice to see though is some actual consistency, if the limit was cut due a long term (poorly thought out) plan then at least stick with it and take accountability when it fails or admit that it was gotten very much wrong and back track. The constant yo-yoing on team building points limits does nothing for anyone except leave a few riders lumbered with inflated averages.

The limit in every league should always be 42 by default, unless they have a reason to change it, such as wanting to weaken it, as in the case of the NL. By knocking it down to 36(?) They have achieved this, but to retain the league at that standard it needs to go back to 42 the following season. If they keep it at 36 for several seasons, they are weakening it further every year til it gets to the point where teams will be full of woblers. Then they'll wonder why people won't pay £12 to watch stand alone meetings anymore.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OML said:

The limit in every league should always be 42 by default, unless they have a reason to change it, such as wanting to weaken it, as in the case of the NL. By knocking it down to 36(?) They have achieved this, but to retain the league at that standard it needs to go back to 42 the following season. If they keep it at 36 for several seasons, they are weakening it further every year til it gets to the point where teams will be full of woblers. Then they'll wonder why people won't pay £12 to watch stand alone meetings anymore.

Again in complete agreeance but that was the planned ethos of the league according to the powers that be. A massively reduced 35 point limit forcing teams to track new blood and pushing those at the higher end of the average scale up into the Rising Star spots that have been so kindly created for them (with all the pay restrictions that come with it).

The belief being that there will be a steady stream of riders progressing through the bulging youth ranks and all league ready each season ready to take on and learn from those who trod the path before them. 

The reality is already obvious that riders far from ready have been tracked this season whilst others have seen their averages rise far beyond expected levels due to lower levels of opposition and that will continue year on year with basically anyone with a bike getting team place. For those who can host double headers its feasible (if not ideal) but for standalone ventures its wildly unviable.

22 minutes ago, arnieg said:

That depends on how many teams in the league. 42 is the starting point for a league of the same size. Assuming riders can't be magiced out of nowhere then the average has to go down if the league expands, but can go up if it contracts.

You are correct in as much as if there is a shortage of riders of a sufficient standard to fill the spaces, then that is a valid reason to adjust the average. But then the average should go back to 42, if possible, the following season. By putting it up for an over supply of riders, fine if all the teams can afford it, but it potentially  brings other problems with it, such as we're currently seeing with very little difference between the PL/CL

16 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Again in complete agreeance but that was the planned ethos of the league according to the powers that be. A massively reduced 35 point limit forcing teams to track new blood and pushing those at the higher end of the average scale up into the Rising Star spots that have been so kindly created for them (with all the pay restrictions that come with it).

The belief being that there will be a steady stream of riders progressing through the bulging youth ranks and all league ready each season ready to take on and learn from those who trod the path before them. 

The reality is already obvious that riders far from ready have been tracked this season whilst others have seen their averages rise far beyond expected levels due to lower levels of opposition and that will continue year on year with basically anyone with a bike getting team place. For those who can host double headers its feasible (if not ideal) but for standalone ventures its wildly unviable.

Absolutely, we'll have Tom Wooley on an 11 point average and reserves who can't even slide a bike. And Mildenhall complaining they can't pay their accross the board £5 a point on a crowd of 50 people. But what do we know...

• Like 2

are we certain there will be seven-man teams? There was an interesting experiment with six-man teams last year which worked reasonably well.

3 hours ago, George Dodds said:

are we certain there will be seven-man teams? There was an interesting experiment with six-man teams last year which worked reasonably well.

That is one way round the shortage. We were going to trial it on the Isle of Wight this year but as you know, riders were warned off from riding with us. Rob Peasley devised the format, and whilst it reduces travel costs for one rider it does has some very good points. 

Best team I can predict if 2021 team building rules remain in place:

Berwick (34.65)
Kyle Bickley 8.97
Greg Blair 7.48
Ben Rathbone 4.00
Mason Watson 3.87
Keiran Douglas 3.71
Elliott Kelly 3.62
Danny Smith 3.00

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Best team I can predict if 2021 team building rules remain in place:

Berwick (34.65)
Kyle Bickley 8.97
Greg Blair 7.48
Ben Rathbone 4.00
Mason Watson 3.87
Keiran Douglas 3.71
Elliott Kelly 3.62
Danny Smith 3.00

Sure luke crang will be back

I’ve got a feeling we could be lining up something like this if averages allow ….. 

1. Kyle Bickley

2. Ben Rathbone

3. Luke Crang

4. Mason Watson 

5. Greg Blair

6. Kieran Douglas

7. ??? 

8 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

I’ve got a feeling we could be lining up something like this if averages allow ….. 

1. Kyle Bickley

2. Ben Rathbone

3. Luke Crang

4. Mason Watson 

5. Greg Blair

6. Kieran Douglas

7. ??? 

Points limit would have to be a minimum of 37.5 to allow that team! I honestly think the NDL will have a lower limit again, a mistake in my view!

On 11/5/2021 at 7:35 PM, Great Central said:

That is one way round the shortage. We were going to trial it on the Isle of Wight this year but as you know, riders were warned off from riding with us. Rob Peasley devised the format, and whilst it reduces travel costs for one rider it does has some very good points. 

Berwick did it to fill the gap left by eastbourne's demise using two teams from their rider pool.  Four tactical rides (nominated by team managers ) and a nominated heat 15. Needed minor tweaks but basically a decent option as long as team managers are on the ball.