British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

SGB Premiership Confirmed Teams 2021

On 3/9/2021 at 7:45 AM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Surprised and shocked but not that it's wrong. Instead you've just said he meets the criteria so fair enough.

I would be condemning ths criteria. I also mentioned previously that when I get the chance I will ask Chris why face to face

Perhaps there was no real choice, perhaps Sheffield threatened to withdraw from the league. However unlikely it cant be ruled out. We are likely to never know the real decision process. 

Fair play you did say you would speaking Chris Louis, and it would be interesting to see what he says on the matter.

To be fair I think if I say shocked and surprised I would have thought most people would have guessed that I would not have had either Josh Bates or Tom Bacon on the scheme.

Maybe they looked at how little riding that both riders have done for the last 3 seasons, both have had a couple of serious injuries,.

Did Sheffield put threaten to pull out of the league, well this is British speedway so anything is possible, but to be honest I very much doubt it there will have been sponsorship money given, season tickets and riders already signed.

For me I think that the scheme in the Premiership is flawed.

If you include riders like Josh Bates and Tom Bacon then rather than 4 categories make 5 categories .

I also don't understand how Teams all have to build to 35.5 for their top 6 regardless to whatever category your Rising Star comes from.

For me I would have allowed the following;

5 Star (Josh Bates and Tom Bacon) top 6 limit of 35.5

4 Star; Top 6 limit of 36.5

3 Star; Top 6 limit of 37.5

2 and 1 Star Top 6 limit of 38.5

And I would also question why the job of setting up and controlling  the scheme was not left to Neil Vatcher, he is after in charge of the British Youth Speedway and has no allegiance to any of the clubs in the Premiership, rather than a group of Promoters.     

• Like 4

Hello... Just wondering where Lewis Bridger's 4.02 average has came from, not really sure what the rules are and if it's been announced anywhere?

8 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Hello... Just wondering where Lewis Bridger's 4.02 average has came from, not really sure what the rules are and if it's been announced anywhere?

At a guess:

Most recent average - (2017 with Berwick) 6.59 divided by 1.6 to convert to PL gives 4.12 less 2.5% British rider discount is 4.02

It has been mentioned on many other threads that the conversion factor is still 1.5

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 10:18 PM, spin king said:

Fair play you did say you would speaking Chris Louis, and it would be interesting to see what he says on the matter.

To be fair I think if I say shocked and surprised I would have thought most people would have guessed that I would not have had either Josh Bates or Tom Bacon on the scheme.

Maybe they looked at how little riding that both riders have done for the last 3 seasons, both have had a couple of serious injuries,.

Did Sheffield put threaten to pull out of the league, well this is British speedway so anything is possible, but to be honest I very much doubt it there will have been sponsorship money given, season tickets and riders already signed.

For me I think that the scheme in the Premiership is flawed.

If you include riders like Josh Bates and Tom Bacon then rather than 4 categories make 5 categories .

I also don't understand how Teams all have to build to 35.5 for their top 6 regardless to whatever category your Rising Star comes from.

For me I would have allowed the following;

5 Star (Josh Bates and Tom Bacon) top 6 limit of 35.5

4 Star; Top 6 limit of 36.5

3 Star; Top 6 limit of 37.5

2 and 1 Star Top 6 limit of 38.5

And I would also question why the job of setting up and controlling  the scheme was not left to Neil Vatcher, he is after in charge of the British Youth Speedway and has no allegiance to any of the clubs in the Premiership, rather than a group of Promoters.     

This Rising Star thing is a joke; its just wrong...

If they wanted to strengthen the top league all they had to say was that any rider must have attained an average of 6 or above in the Championship before they would be considered in the Premiership which would have resulted in a minimum average of 4 for a reserve in the Premiership keeping the conversion rate at 1.5... That would still leave scope to bring new foreign riders straight into the team on their 4's or 5's or whatever...

Also that they had to maintain that 6 or 4 average in that respective league to be considered the following year for the Premiership and then set the build level for Premiership teams to 45 points rather than trying to drag young kids into a league that they may no be ready for...

I would much rather see these young riders learning their apprenticeship with track time at a level where they will be competitive at and scoring points rather than the possibility of relying on points coming from other riders falling off or having engine failures...

The same could done between the Championship and NDL where the rider must have achieved an average of 6 in the NDL before they could be considered for a Championship team with a conversion rate of 3.0 meaning the NDL rider would come in on a 2.00 to the Championship team and again that they must maintain those averages in either league before they can be considered for selection. Let Championship teams build to 40 points and NDL teams to 35...

Newcastle have Barker and Vissing in their team and these two have been known in the past to be able to lets say "ride with some aggression and be rather physical in races" some may even use the phrase "dirty riders" but lets just stick with "Physical" and they also have Joe Alcock as their rising star and I hate to say it but he may be at more risk of getting injured off one of his own riders than one of the opposition. I don't want to see anyone get hurt but IMHO I think it could be a challenge to far for some of these younger more inexperienced riders who don't have the track craft or skill with the associated required track time to learn the skills to get themselves out of trouble... Hope I am proved wrong... However

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 3

Well if Richard Lawson is not the last rider to sign for Kings Lynn I will eat my hat.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 5:19 PM, rearingtogo said:

Well if Richard Lawson is not the last rider to sign for Kings Lynn I will eat my hat.

Hope it tastes good. ☺️

• Haha 2

Would you like to add fries and a drink for only 99p? 

Any sauces or dips for the hat? 

how hungry are you :rofl:

Personally I find it disgusting that a decent British rider is overlooked, to fit a European rider in. Kings Lynn should be ashamed of themselves.

6 minutes ago, hyderd said:

Personally I find it disgusting that a decent British rider is overlooked, to fit a European rider in. Kings Lynn should be ashamed of themselves.

You would think that in a global pandemic that can still restrict travel, it would have been the more sensible option too...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hyderd said:

That's King's Lynn's fault how?? 

The other 5 teams should be ashamed too then

2 hours ago, hyderd said:

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but for some context Riss is a club asset who rode the previous couple of seasons, plus as Daniel says every other team has signed a foreign rider who fills a Lawson size hole. Plus do we even know if he wants to do PL after being let go by Sheffield? So not the greatest comment from you in isolation really. 

• Like 1