British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

SGB Premiership Confirmed Teams 2021

36 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

All have responsibility for it as well as those above 

Doesnt matter who made the decisions just that the wrong ones were made. We wont know the reasons and influences

No matter how much deflection Sheffield fans attempt it wont make it right. What you should be doing us condemning it rather than trying to justify it...

I think you need to read exactly what I write.

It said in the Speedway Star that a group of Promoters were set the task of setting up the Rising Star scheme.

Because they were set the task I would have imagined they were the one's to set the criteria, I have not said they definitely would have, there is a difference.

The past you asked if I was embarrassed by Josh Bates inclusion.

And I said no as he fitted the criteria.

I did say from the very start when someone posted on the Wolves 2020 thread that one of the Thompson twins would be the Sheffield Rising Star, and mention that I had seen a list with Josh Bates on the list.

I did state that I was surprise to see him on the list, and in a PM to Bagpuss I even used the word shocked.

So if I used words like surprised and shocked, which I would leave up to you to guess whether or not I would have included Josh Bates in the Rising Stars scheme.

Fact is your Promoter is on the group of Promoters who responsible for setting up the scheme, and maybe you need to ask him who was responsible for setting out the criteria for qualification, but I would imagine those who are responsible for the scheme set the criteria.   

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

They’re not the kind of riders the scheme should have been for. 

I can agree with arguments against Bates, but Bacon deserves a shot at the "rising star" scheme! He's improved every year & never had a Prem team spot - he clearly is still improving!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spin king said:

I think you need to read exactly what I write.

It said in the Speedway Star that a group of Promoters were set the task of setting up the Rising Star scheme.

Because they were set the task I would have imagined they were the one's to set the criteria, I have not said they definitely would have, there is a difference.

The past you asked if I was embarrassed by Josh Bates inclusion.

And I said no as he fitted the criteria.

I did say from the very start when someone posted on the Wolves 2020 thread that one of the Thompson twins would be the Sheffield Rising Star, and mention that I had seen a list with Josh Bates on the list.

I did state that I was surprise to see him on the list, and in a PM to Bagpuss I even used the word shocked.

So if I used words like surprised and shocked, which I would leave up to you to guess whether or not I would have included Josh Bates in the Rising Stars scheme.

Fact is your Promoter is on the group of Promoters who responsible for setting up the scheme, and maybe you need to ask him who was responsible for setting out the criteria for qualification, but I would imagine those who are responsible for the scheme set the criteria.   

Surprised and shocked but not that it's wrong. Instead you've just said he meets the criteria so fair enough.

I would be condemning ths criteria. I also mentioned previously that when I get the chance I will ask Chris why face to face

Perhaps there was no real choice, perhaps Sheffield threatened to withdraw from the league. However unlikely it cant be ruled out. We are likely to never know the real decision process. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, bigcatdiary said:

Its ludicrous.

It is ludicrous BUT you should know "that's British Speedway", Once world class but now.........

On 2/27/2021 at 9:04 AM, old bob at herne bay said:

Not a lot to get excited about there then... just six teams with one rabbit per team, to be 2 rabbits per team next season ?? Or maybe the last season of the present league structure ??

7/6 admission with a 3d.programme with a league match and a full second half would seem to be reasonable value for money. 

If we were running a full length season surely 6 teams just doesn’t work. Home and away twice gives only 10 meetings a season.

Championship has more appeal. 

i thought it was the championship league i was looking at . 

well . its finally happened. poor elite league as they used to call it line ups . .BRRAAPPPP . more like BARFFF .

championship is a far better product.......    just ..

• Haha 1

It’s less than ideal and I’ve always criticised the product and people who put it on when necessary but I think the fact that we are going to have any speedway at all in 2021 is by far the most important thing. A six team league is a fair way short of satisfactory but it is what it is for 2021. Needs to be two or three teams bigger for next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s less than ideal and I’ve always criticised the product and people who put it on when necessary but I think the fact that we are going to have any speedway at all in 2021 is by far the most important thing. A six team league is a fair way short of satisfactory but it is what it is for 2021. Needs to be two or three teams bigger for next year. 

championship teams , be prepared to have the guts ripped out of your league in 2022.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

championship teams , be prepared to have the guts ripped out of your league in 2022.

Not really, all it would take is Swindon restarting and one Champ team wanting some TV exposure and it’s back to eight.

You really should cut out all this ‘us and them’ stuff, it benefits nobody. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, jenga said:

It will just mean more doubling up surely?

Maybe a weaker top league to incorporate Swindon back and (possibly) entice up one of the Championship teams..

Where now we have, in the main, heat leaders doubling up, you will probably have more second strings doing the same..

The Championship teams will still have their riders but more will double up..

Edited by mikebv

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

It will just mean more doubling up surely?

Maybe a weaker top league to incorporate Swindon back and (possibly) entice up one of the Championship teams..

Where now we have, in the main, heat leaders doubling up, you will probably have more second strings doing the same..

The Championship teams will still have their riders but more will double up..

Not painting a very good picture there Mr. Rembrandt. :unsure:

3 hours ago, Lefty said:

Not painting a very good picture there Mr. Rembrandt. :unsure:

I think the plan could be to get to 'Championship' level for the top league of say 12 teams, then maybe a 12 team league of slightly better than the current NL, made up of stand alone clubs and 'Colts' teams from some of those in the top league.. 

Let's be honest we are nearly there now with none of the riders who are competing being truly 'Elite', with only a very few able to even get considered to have the opportunity to compete at the highest levels in Poland or Sweden.

If each team next year in the top league had two Rising Stars, with the 'best 24' in the top league, and 24 pretty much newcomers in the 2nd tier, I am sure it could put many clubs on a more financially even footing.. 

Fixed race nights would still allow plenty to double up so lots of meetings for those lads who have only a slim chance of getting fixed up in either Sweden or Polands top division..

The NL operating model has proven itself as a success when it comes to giving clubs who may have gone out of business by staying in the 2nd tier, (or already had) a chance to become profitable and has provided plenty of decent, value for money entertainment..

Maybe some within the BSPL have noticed that and seen an opportunity?

A league that would sit between the current NL and the Championship standard wise might just be where the second tier can thrive and be a true 'stepping stone' to the top league.. 

Some do talk of a lowering of standards driving punters away, however when the worlds best rode here, double digit % drops in annual crowd levels were not unusual, so, I would suggest, those who still attend now are 'bomb proof' as far as following the sport goes, so a couple of years of 'reset" where every club can be secure of coming back to the tapes the next year, might not be a bad idea..

There is a world out there who would know hardly any of those who ride at GP level, never mind UK standard, so, using the Eurosport coverage, "names" and reputations could be built by those who appear in front of the cameras each week..

We who follow the sport may know they are not "top level" but the vast majority of those watching at home wont..

And they are the ones that need their interest pricking..

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Not really, all it would take is Swindon restarting and one Champ team wanting some TV exposure and it’s back to eight.

You really should cut out all this ‘us and them’ stuff, it benefits nobody. 

swindon won't be returning :nono:

No and it won't sadly reality needs to set in :blush: