British Speedway Forum
Badge

Ian St John RIP

Another great player gone.

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HAPPY memories of Saint and Greavesie ... ahead of its time

Whilst he was a great player,  I'm sure that's what we all remember him for.

Sad news indeed...another legend gone.

• Like 1

Really sad to hear this. I loved Saint and Greavesie back in the day.

R.I.P. + Ian.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Badge said:

Whilst he was a great player,  I'm sure that's what we all remember him for.

For me it's the reverse,  I remember him for his talents on the pitch and the joy and pleasure he brought to football supporters everywhere he played, not to mention match of the day.  A fantastic footballer and apparently a nice bloke too.

Hardly ever saw his TV programme with Greaves.

RIP Saints 

• Like 1

Great player and by all accounts a really nice man.

RIP YNWA

Great story back in the day when a visiting preacher visited Liverpool and asked the  congregation "what would you do if Jesus came to Liverpool" to which some wag replied we would have to move S t John  to Centre Forward

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sad to hear this news I remember distantly watching Saints and Greaves on the tele with my dad great tele. RIP Saint

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Richspeedway said:

Sad to hear this news I remember distantly watching Saints and Greaves on the tele with my dad great tele. RIP Saint

Yes it was a light hearted banter magazine programme until the powers that be decided it wasn't doing the sport any favours. Jimmy Greaves gives a good insight to it in his autobiography...well worth a read!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

336 games 96 goals   1961/71 a great record  always felt St John, Hunt, Callaghan, Hall, Lindsay never really got the FULL regonition they deserved.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

336 games 96 goals   1961/71 a great record  always felt St John, Hunt, Callaghan, Hall, Lindsay never really got the FULL regonition they deserved.

Some great names there from the Shankley Liverpool years!

On 3/3/2021 at 10:00 AM, steve roberts said:

Yes it was a light hearted banter magazine programme until the powers that be decided it wasn't doing the sport any favours. Jimmy Greaves gives a good insight to it in his autobiography...well worth a read!

In retrospect it probably was fairly low budget and cheesy, but required viewing before heading out to football on a Saturday afternoon! Both were actually articulate though, unlike the inane banter that prevails on pre-match shows nowadays. 

• Like 3