British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mikebv

£300m Summer Sport Recovery Package

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So nice to see some of the usual BSF BS still going strong!!:angry:

And what is the BS you talking about skidder?

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

EXACTLY. Many suggested that the Sky money would be invested in the infrastructure of speedway in GB but, of course, that didn't happen. 

Blame the top Yanks for that. :angry:

On 3/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, Trackerman48 said:

The bspa as it was should have bought Coventry stadium when it was up for sale with some of the money from sky. Had it as a Midland national stadium for all top meetings and also had all the offices there . And used for training and bringing on British riders. As it can be used 7 days a week?

What money from Sky? Brandon closed in 2016, the last year of the Sky deal, although they bought themselves out at the end of that year. BSPA paid BT Sport to broadcast speedway in 2017, covering the cost with some of the buy out money. After doing that and having to support clubs who’d suddenly seen their tv money lost, how much do you reckon was left? My guess is low hundreds of thousands. Now, how much do you reckon the property developer owner sold Brandon for? My recollection is it was somewhere between £4m and £7m. Where was BSPA going to find that sort of money?

49 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

What money from Sky? Brandon closed in 2016, the last year of the Sky deal, although they bought themselves out at the end of that year. BSPA paid BT Sport to broadcast speedway in 2017, covering the cost with some of the buy out money. After doing that and having to support clubs who’d suddenly seen their tv money lost, how much do you reckon was left? My guess is low hundreds of thousands. Now, how much do you reckon the property developer owner sold Brandon for? My recollection is it was somewhere between £4m and £7m. Where was BSPA going to find that sort of money?

I was talking about before sandu bought it not when it closed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

I was talking about before sandu bought it not when it closed. 

My error - apologies. My knowledge does not go back that far. Was it 2002/03? And who was the promoter? I know Peter Toogood had wanted to move BSPA out of the ACU offices, but I think he wanted to buy an office on the same street, rather than wanting to shift everything to Brandon. 

So its now confirmed that speedway clubs do qualify to apply for some of the Govts 'Elite Summer Sports' fund following successful liaison between BSPL and Sport England. Well done to the BSPL Officers.

According to SpeedwayGB some clubs have already submitted their applications!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So its now confirmed that speedway clubs do qualify to apply for some of the Govts 'Elite Summer Sports' fund following successful liaison between BSPL and Sport England. Well done to the BSPL Officers.

According to SpeedwayGB some clubs have already submitted their applications!

The difference between Scottish and the English Grant's is Scottish one is a grant and does not to be paid back in England they are loans so it does have to be paid back

5 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

The difference between Scottish and the English Grant's is Scottish one is a grant and does not to be paid back in England they are loans so it does have to be paid back

Not according to the statement on SpeedwayGB. The initial 'Winter' fund was loans but it appears the new 'Summer' Sports fund isn't - unless I 've read it wrong?

The BSPL have made the case for financial help to Sport England and DCMS which has been acknowledged. Now its up to individual clubs to put their case to the official panel.

Edited by Skidder1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Not according to the statement on SpeedwayGB. The initial 'Winter' fund was loans but it appears the new 'Summer' Sports fund isn't - unless I 've read it wrong?

The BSPL have made the case for financial help to Sport England and DCMS which has been acknowledged. Now its up to individual clubs to put their case to the official panel.

Who's on the official panel ? Is it the same persons that run british speedway,I hope not we all know who will benefit from any money being paid out,so if you are a well run club with good finances and practices in place you probably won't get anything,if you're badly run and struggling you will get something. 

I have read the article myself now and I stand corrected it seems individual clubs have to present their own case to the DCMS and Sport England, hopefully something good comes out of this£££

Edited by lewy

22 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The obvious question is how do the (English) promotions expect to pay back their loans, far less guarantee them? Most promotions would seem to have very few tangible assets, and given they live hand-to-mouth at the best of times, where is extra money coming for the repayments?

Given that the same “ hand to mouth” existence probably applies to most cricket counties and other sports seeking aid then I’m unsure where speedway differs. It does feel a little like the BSPL can’t win. If they don’t apply then they’ll be castigated for not trying, and now they are applying...

Will any tell the panel that they SAVED money last year?  ;):D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lewy said:

Who's on the official panel ? Is it the same persons that run british speedway,I hope not we all know who will benefit from any money being paid out,so if you are a well run club with good finances and practices in place you probably won't get anything,if you're badly run and struggling you will get something. 

I have read the article myself now and I stand corrected it seems individual clubs have to present their own case to the DCMS and Sport England, hopefully something good comes out of this£££

massive difference between submitting claims and receiving grant.  the organisation I work for has had £50m+ out of HMT, due to covid impacts, and as you'd expect there is much scrutiny. Knowing something of the soon to be Darlo bound Treasury boys they'll know lots about cricket and the square root of zero about Speedway. As much as I can imagine will be recovered will be any signing on fees for riders who were then unable to ride and even that is debatable if the sign on fee is for investment in kit. I guess those who own stadiums might be able to recover those running costs.  I wonder if Somerset have dropped a bollock here.  Please Sir give me money so I can continue to operate....

IMO opinion a combined claim might have held more weight if you could justify that if 4 or 5 clubs might fold the other 15 will suffer going forward.

Maybe the awards have been delegated from HMT to DCMS which might make it a little easier.

3 hours ago, prodons said:

Given that the same “ hand to mouth” existence probably applies to most cricket counties and other sports seeking aid then I’m unsure where speedway differs.

I would imagine many if not most first class countries own their grounds, and are more likely to find sugar daddies if it really comes to the crunch. Neither of which speedway generally has. 

What is a surprise to me is the press release completely ignoring the fact that the two Scottish teams have been awarded grants, whereas English teams have been told that they might possibly perhaps get something or they might get nothing and it might be a grant or it might be a loan.....yippee!

• Like 2