British Speedway Forum
W9 Lion

Championship League Predictions

Well as many teams have announced their 1-7 who do we fancy to win the league. If both teams are injury free its either Eastbourne or Leicester for me. 

Newcastle look a bit lffy and I think Glasgow may have to get their corporate cheque book out at some point during the season.

I see Eastbourne, Leicester & Glasgow as favourites

Redcar and Scunthorpe could do well, but much depends on who they get to fill their last spots

Berwick, Poole, Edinburgh & Birmingham (again depending on who they sign) look like mid table unless someone makes great strides

And sorry, but Newcastle, Kent & Plymouth to be down at bottom.

HOWEVER - those views are based on teams as declared now, we all know injuries occur and teams might change so all to play for.

These are my genuine opinions, feel free to debate and disagree, but please don't take offence if you think I have downgraded your team's chance - compared to your own views :blink: 

• Like 1

Think it'll be a very interesting and tight league

Top 4 between Leicester; Eastbourne; Glasgow; Poole

Next 4 Berwick; Edinburgh; Redcar ; Kent

Bottom 4 Brummies; Scunthorpe, Plymouth Newcastle 

Replacement Heat Leaders going to be in short supply and second strings. Injuries and possible replacements vital

Will benefit Clubs with assets not currently in CL and who may be able to replace injured riders.

Edited by HGould
added explanation
  • Like 1

when we were in the top flight league (poole)not many times  we missed out i feel this time around we are going to find this a lot harder .

Edited by ray c

A few yrs back Scunthorpe had a cracking side on paper and we’re worth favourites . As the season started they were rocked by injuries Steve Worrill broken leg , Stefan Neilson broken and Jason Garrity missed a lot of matches in the early season. . . The key is keeping the bulk of your squad injury free sadly in speedway that doesn’t always work out

• Like 5

Remember anything can happen a team gets written off then makes H18TORY the mighty comets in 2018 :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SharpenRake said:

Or Workington 

or even somerset :(

20 hours ago, HGould said:

Think it'll be a very interesting and tight league

Top 4 between Leicester; Eastbourne; Glasgow; Poole

Next 4 Berwick; Edinburgh; Redcar ; Kent

Bottom 4 Brummies; Scunthorpe, Plymouth Newcastle 

Replacement Heat Leaders going to be in short supply and second strings. Injuries and possible replacements vital

Will benefit Clubs with assets not currently in CL and who may be able to replace injured riders.

Agree with your top 4.

I hope some of the racing makes up for the lack of overall quality.  Just had a browse at the teams. All a bit of a mish mash. Poole clearly stand out as the team to beat as expected.  Can’t see why anyone rates the budgies. Other than Eddie they don’t look that good, though it will be great fun reviving the rivalry and picking up our usual win at Arlington.

Leicester look ok but it’s gate and go. Just have to get to the first bend leading and it’s all over. More passing on The Bidding Room.

The rest? Nothing to see. By the way I see the name Paul Hurry in the Kent side. Is that old ex rider Paul Hurry’s son? If not.....hahaha..

As for Plymouth, having two old riders in Bjarne and Crump might get the crowd in for a few meetings but when they are trailing at the back that novelty will soon wear off. 

Still, this has to be better than last year. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I hope some of the racing makes up for the lack of overall quality.  Just had a browse at the teams. All a bit of a mish mash. Poole clearly stand out as the team to beat as expected.  Can’t see why anyone rates the budgies. Other than Eddie they don’t look that good, though it will be great fun reviving the rivalry and picking up our usual win at Arlington.

Leicester look ok but it’s gate and go. Just have to get to the first bend leading and it’s all over. More passing on The Bidding Room.

The rest? Nothing to see. By the way I see the name Paul Hurry in the Kent side. Is that old ex rider Paul Hurry’s son? If not.....hahaha..

As for Plymouth, having two old riders in Bjarne and Crump might get the crowd in for a few meetings but when they are trailing at the back that novelty will soon wear off. 

Still, this has to be better than last year. 

Just as much quality and far more quantity and competitiveness than the bland PL.

Think Poole might be in for a rude awakening with that attitude, certainly when visiting up to Midlands and the North .

Away wins will be very hard for any side to find such is the nature of the League.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Neila said:

Anybody bar Poole or Glasgow :rolleyes:

Certainly won't be Workington.:cheers:

• Sad 3