British Speedway Forum
W9 Lion

Championship League Predictions

1. Eastbourne - Very strong 1-5 with brilliant reserves.

2. Leicester - Very strong 1-5 with brilliant reserves, at home. May struggle a tiny bit away with their lack of experience at this level. The only thing separating the top two, very tight between the two teams.

3. Glasgow - Powerful number 1 and possibly the strongest reserve partnership in the league, will be very strong at home but I feel won't beat some of the stronger teams away as they have a couple hit and miss riders (Ricky, Justin and Ulrich.)

4. Redcar - A lot depends on their 3rd signing, but with the riders who are left available, don't see them using up all their available points, if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat, they will compete with Eastbourne and Leicester imo. Best rider in the league at number 1 too and arguably the best reserve with Anders?

5. Poole - Best top 3 in the league but not a huge amount beyond that, Danyon should do well at reserve and Stefan always gives 110%, not sure about the 2 new Aussies, don't know much about them. Poole should make the playoffs, and I'm sure any underperforming rider will quickly be replaced...

6. Plymouth - Think a lot of people are underestimating the ability of some of the riders in this team. Henry is top class around the arena and Alfie is very good there too, very strong reserves. Dillon will be used to small tracks in the USA and I think he will make a very good 3rd heatleader. Steven is a very exciting rider who I have the priviledge to watch on more than one occasion in France, for a teenager he looks to have a massive career ahead of him and he should be able to take to the arena very well. Jason and Bjarne are 2 big names who shall draw in the crowds and add a bit of entertainment and priceless experience for the 5 youngsters in the team. Plymouth SHOULD make the playoffs, and I look forward to making the 6 hour journey to see them.

7. Edinburgh - A lot will depend on how well the 2 new lads get going, Kye should feel relatively at home with the pedigree of Australians the Monarchs have bought through the ranks and currently have in the team, Max Fricke and Sam Masters spring to mind. Lasse looks like a decent little prospect so should be able to do a decent enough job for the Monarchs. That being said, I don't think they look quite as strong on paper as the teams above.

8. Kent - Starting to get towards the weaker end of the table now. Think Kent have enough experience to top the 'weaker teams table'. Scott Nicholls and Cameron Heeps should be able to add invaluable experience and help the younger lads (Dan and Ben) on very well, who should both be decent reserves. Looking forward to seeing how Tom Bacon gets on, as he should surprise a few this year imo. Paul Hurry is an interesting name.

9. Birmingham - A lot will obviously depend on who their remaining 3 signings are, but they seem to have a decent reserve pairing with Paco and Jack. Chris Harris is a good number 1 and Ashley is a 110% trier. If they can get 3 decent signings I think they may be bumped up a few places here.

10. Berwick - Another typical Berwick team, not the worst but nowhere near the playoffs. Nice to see 2 young, local talents at reserve, Leon should be near enough unbeatable at home against any other reserve in the league. Nikolaj should do a decent job, but they really need to get Dany going away from home, as this is one of the biggest weakness of the team. At least the 1-7 should have decent enough chemistry, which I can see pushing them away from the wooden spoon.

11. Scunthorpe - Scunthorpe have an ok enough team, but I just can't see them looking any stronger than the teams above. Yes they've got ok reserves and I think at home they will be very difficult to beat. But having Auty, Jorgensen, Aarnio and the inexperience of Jordan at reserve, they may struggle away from home. Of course, a lot depends on their final signing, but I really don't see who is available???

12. Newcastle - My beloved Newcastle. I appreciate the situation the club has been in the last couple of years, with the takeover and the delayed start we had behind everyone else, and tbh we've got a pretty good team scraped together. However, we have a few too many unknowns imo. James Wright is a big unknown, he looked good at the Ben Fund last season and in years gone by, he was a decent rider, however that was an awful long time ago. An even bigger unknown is Adam Roynon's love (Or lack of) for Brough Park, really hope he can get to grips with the track and he can have an injury free season. Joe Alcock, to me, isn't good enough for this level yet, I don't want to sound harsh, but it's true. If we were going to go for that level of rider, I would have much rather have seen either Josh or Archie, think if we could have gone for someone like Connor Coles at reserve, I'd have been a lot more confident. I do however love the fact that Max and Matty are back and at 3 and 4, they should be a brilliant pairing around Brough, worth a lot more then their averages suggest. Fingers crossed my negativity is wrong, but I don't see Newcastle anywhere but the wooden spoon this year, if we finish with this team. However, I don't really care, I just wanna see some bikes now, get out the house and see some racing!!!

• Like 2

Agree largely with the masses Plymouth, Scunny and Newcastle to struggle massively away and take some beatings at home too. Eagles home advantage might be key but Lions, Pirates and Tigers all going to be pushing hard and certainly worth a watch of those meetings. Berwick to be dark horses and get near the play off spots...

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Agree largely with the masses Plymouth, Scunny and Newcastle to struggle massively away and take some beatings at home too. Eagles home advantage might be key but Lions, Pirates and Tigers all going to be pushing hard and certainly worth a watch of those meetings. Berwick to be dark horses and get near the play off spots...

Doolan will be a big miss for the Bandits. If both Etheridge and especially Gappmaier can up there away performances you could be right in Berwick being dark horses

46 minutes ago, Normski said:

Doolan will be a big miss for the Bandits. If both Etheridge and especially Gappmaier can up there away performances you could be right in Berwick being dark horses

Agree,it’s a big if in Gappmaier ‘s case though.IMO.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I hope some of the racing makes up for the lack of overall quality.  Just had a browse at the teams. All a bit of a mish mash. Poole clearly stand out as the team to beat as expected.  Can’t see why anyone rates the budgies. Other than Eddie they don’t look that good, though it will be great fun reviving the rivalry and picking up our usual win at Arlington.

Leicester look ok but it’s gate and go. Just have to get to the first bend leading and it’s all over. More passing on The Bidding Room.

The rest? Nothing to see. By the way I see the name Paul Hurry in the Kent side. Is that old ex rider Paul Hurry’s son? If not.....hahaha..

As for Plymouth, having two old riders in Bjarne and Crump might get the crowd in for a few meetings but when they are trailing at the back that novelty will soon wear off. 

Still, this has to be better than last year. 

Well its an interesting view. Do please come and say hello before & after the meeting at Leicester I'm quite easy to spot, you will normally find me around the startline area.....

1 hour ago, Normski said:

It will be interesting to see what league racing is like on the reshaped track.

Im already looking forward to Berwick away, great banter, decent beer & excellent fish & Chips. The only downside is the smug conversation with the Gaffer when he says enjoy the trip down to Leicester. Im home in just over the hour

Difficult to predict at this stage as there are many factors, injuries, team changes and form to the end of the season.

But for me, Eastbourne and Leicester are the two stand out teams at this stage.

To me the top three looks like (in no particular order)....Poole,Eagles and Leicester.

I would be well happy in Kent could finish around half way. :D

3 hours ago, Dandelion said:

1. Eastbourne - Very strong 1-5 with brilliant reserves.

2. Leicester - Very strong 1-5 with brilliant reserves, at home. May struggle a tiny bit away with their lack of experience at this level. The only thing separating the top two, very tight between the two teams.

3. Glasgow - Powerful number 1 and possibly the strongest reserve partnership in the league, will be very strong at home but I feel won't beat some of the stronger teams away as they have a couple hit and miss riders (Ricky, Justin and Ulrich.)

4. Redcar - A lot depends on their 3rd signing, but with the riders who are left available, don't see them using up all their available points, if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat, they will compete with Eastbourne and Leicester imo. Best rider in the league at number 1 too and arguably the best reserve with Anders?

5. Poole - Best top 3 in the league but not a huge amount beyond that, Danyon should do well at reserve and Stefan always gives 110%, not sure about the 2 new Aussies, don't know much about them. Poole should make the playoffs, and I'm sure any underperforming rider will quickly be replaced...

6. Plymouth - Think a lot of people are underestimating the ability of some of the riders in this team. Henry is top class around the arena and Alfie is very good there too, very strong reserves. Dillon will be used to small tracks in the USA and I think he will make a very good 3rd heatleader. Steven is a very exciting rider who I have the priviledge to watch on more than one occasion in France, for a teenager he looks to have a massive career ahead of him and he should be able to take to the arena very well. Jason and Bjarne are 2 big names who shall draw in the crowds and add a bit of entertainment and priceless experience for the 5 youngsters in the team. Plymouth SHOULD make the playoffs, and I look forward to making the 6 hour journey to see them.

7. Edinburgh - A lot will depend on how well the 2 new lads get going, Kye should feel relatively at home with the pedigree of Australians the Monarchs have bought through the ranks and currently have in the team, Max Fricke and Sam Masters spring to mind. Lasse looks like a decent little prospect so should be able to do a decent enough job for the Monarchs. That being said, I don't think they look quite as strong on paper as the teams above.

8. Kent - Starting to get towards the weaker end of the table now. Think Kent have enough experience to top the 'weaker teams table'. Scott Nicholls and Cameron Heeps should be able to add invaluable experience and help the younger lads (Dan and Ben) on very well, who should both be decent reserves. Looking forward to seeing how Tom Bacon gets on, as he should surprise a few this year imo. Paul Hurry is an interesting name.

9. Birmingham - A lot will obviously depend on who their remaining 3 signings are, but they seem to have a decent reserve pairing with Paco and Jack. Chris Harris is a good number 1 and Ashley is a 110% trier. If they can get 3 decent signings I think they may be bumped up a few places here.

10. Berwick - Another typical Berwick team, not the worst but nowhere near the playoffs. Nice to see 2 young, local talents at reserve, Leon should be near enough unbeatable at home against any other reserve in the league. Nikolaj should do a decent job, but they really need to get Dany going away from home, as this is one of the biggest weakness of the team. At least the 1-7 should have decent enough chemistry, which I can see pushing them away from the wooden spoon.

11. Scunthorpe - Scunthorpe have an ok enough team, but I just can't see them looking any stronger than the teams above. Yes they've got ok reserves and I think at home they will be very difficult to beat. But having Auty, Jorgensen, Aarnio and the inexperience of Jordan at reserve, they may struggle away from home. Of course, a lot depends on their final signing, but I really don't see who is available???

12. Newcastle - My beloved Newcastle. I appreciate the situation the club has been in the last couple of years, with the takeover and the delayed start we had behind everyone else, and tbh we've got a pretty good team scraped together. However, we have a few too many unknowns imo. James Wright is a big unknown, he looked good at the Ben Fund last season and in years gone by, he was a decent rider, however that was an awful long time ago. An even bigger unknown is Adam Roynon's love (Or lack of) for Brough Park, really hope he can get to grips with the track and he can have an injury free season. Joe Alcock, to me, isn't good enough for this level yet, I don't want to sound harsh, but it's true. If we were going to go for that level of rider, I would have much rather have seen either Josh or Archie, think if we could have gone for someone like Connor Coles at reserve, I'd have been a lot more confident. I do however love the fact that Max and Matty are back and at 3 and 4, they should be a brilliant pairing around Brough, worth a lot more then their averages suggest. Fingers crossed my negativity is wrong, but I don't see Newcastle anywhere but the wooden spoon this year, if we finish with this team. However, I don't really care, I just wanna see some bikes now, get out the house and see some racing!!!

Very interesting read!

55 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Very interesting read!

Interesting in an actually interesting way, or interesting in that it's a load of bo!!ocks? :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

Interesting in an actually interesting way, or interesting in that it's a load of bo!!ocks? :D

I would say interesting, as you have qualified your decisions in a constructive way. I agree with practically every assessment. :approve: 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I would say interesting, as you have qualified your decisions in a constructive way. I agree with practically every assessment. :approve: 

So do I! However I think you are being a bit harsh on your own team you will definitely be difficult opponents for Plymouth when you come to Devon Clegg,barker, wethers all ride our track very well and both roynon and Wright are ex Plymouth riders. 

Edited by lewy

22 minutes ago, lewy said:

So do I! However I think you are being a bit harsh on your own team you will definitely be difficult opponents for Plymouth when you come to Devon Clegg,barker, wethers all ride our track very well and both roynon and Wright are ex Plymouth riders. 

Thanks. I would like to think that as well. :approve:

Rather than worrying over whos going to win what I reckon most of us are just hugely grateful to get back to the tracks again come what may ? But as you press me on it I cannot see past.

1  Poole 2. Leicester 3. Glasgow 4. Eastbourne 5. Edinburgh 6.Redcar 7. Berwick 8.Birmingham 9. Plymouth 10 Kent 11 Scunthorpe 12 Newcastle 

Pains me to dump Scunny second bottom but unless we sign a bone fide No1 ? Its going to be close run at the EWR every match and wallopings away. 

I think Plymouth might suprise a few if Crump & Pedersen get into gear and say Ruuml steps up. Of course it all hinges on who stays fit and finds form ? Another factor is the best part of 18 months enforced "suspension" for the British base riders. Whilst the Aussie based riders ie: Ryan Douglas !, should hit the season running against UK based race rusty racers. 

Then again the "rising stars" might spring a suprise ? A lot is anticipated from Jordan Palin at Scunny and he could be "the rising star" if too much pressure is not heaped on him ? 

As, I say its not so much about winning titles because having Speedway back on some sort of regular basis is a win in itself for all of us !

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 2