British Speedway Forum
W9 Lion

Championship League Predictions

On 3/5/2021 at 11:23 AM, Steve Shovlar said:

I hope some of the racing makes up for the lack of overall quality.  Just had a browse at the teams. All a bit of a mish mash. Poole clearly stand out as the team to beat as expected.  Can’t see why anyone rates the budgies. Other than Eddie they don’t look that good, though it will be great fun reviving the rivalry and picking up our usual win at Arlington.

Is TRick making a comeback then? Otherwise think you're living on past glories, and not the real world in the championship.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 3:09 PM, Skodaman said:

For Leicester, it all depends on Bates staying fit!!

Good point. I had a terrible dream last night. I had died and been reincarnated as an air fence. Woke up sweating and screaming when I saw Bates and Roynon rolling up to the tapes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/5/2021 at 12:10 PM, Dandelion said:

1. Eastbourne - Very strong 1-5 with brilliant reserves.

2. Leicester - Very strong 1-5 with brilliant reserves, at home. May struggle a tiny bit away with their lack of experience at this level. The only thing separating the top two, very tight between the two teams.

3. Glasgow - Powerful number 1 and possibly the strongest reserve partnership in the league, will be very strong at home but I feel won't beat some of the stronger teams away as they have a couple hit and miss riders (Ricky, Justin and Ulrich.)

4. Redcar - A lot depends on their 3rd signing, but with the riders who are left available, don't see them using up all their available points, if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat, they will compete with Eastbourne and Leicester imo. Best rider in the league at number 1 too and arguably the best reserve with Anders?

5. Poole - Best top 3 in the league but not a huge amount beyond that, Danyon should do well at reserve and Stefan always gives 110%, not sure about the 2 new Aussies, don't know much about them. Poole should make the playoffs, and I'm sure any underperforming rider will quickly be replaced...

6. Plymouth - Think a lot of people are underestimating the ability of some of the riders in this team. Henry is top class around the arena and Alfie is very good there too, very strong reserves. Dillon will be used to small tracks in the USA and I think he will make a very good 3rd heatleader. Steven is a very exciting rider who I have the privilege to watch on more than one occasion in France, for a teenager he looks to have a massive career ahead of him and he should be able to take to the arena very well. Jason and Bjarne are 2 big names who shall draw in the crowds and add a bit of entertainment and priceless experience for the 5 youngsters in the team. Plymouth SHOULD make the playoffs, and I look forward to making the 6 hour journey to see them.

7. Edinburgh - A lot will depend on how well the 2 new lads get going, Kye should feel relatively at home with the pedigree of Australians the Monarchs have bought through the ranks and currently have in the team, Max Fricke and Sam Masters spring to mind. Lasse looks like a decent little prospect so should be able to do a decent enough job for the Monarchs. That being said, I don't think they look quite as strong on paper as the teams above.

8. Kent - Starting to get towards the weaker end of the table now. Think Kent have enough experience to top the 'weaker teams table'. Scott Nicholls and Cameron Heeps should be able to add invaluable experience and help the younger lads (Dan and Ben) on very well, who should both be decent reserves. Looking forward to seeing how Tom Bacon gets on, as he should surprise a few this year imo. Paul Hurry is an interesting name.

9. Birmingham - A lot will obviously depend on who their remaining 3 signings are, but they seem to have a decent reserve pairing with Paco and Jack. Chris Harris is a good number 1 and Ashley is a 110% trier. If they can get 3 decent signings I think they may be bumped up a few places here.

10. Berwick - Another typical Berwick team, not the worst but nowhere near the playoffs. Nice to see 2 young, local talents at reserve, Leon should be near enough unbeatable at home against any other reserve in the league. Nikolaj should do a decent job, but they really need to get Dany going away from home, as this is one of the biggest weakness of the team. At least the 1-7 should have decent enough chemistry, which I can see pushing them away from the wooden spoon.

11. Scunthorpe - Scunthorpe have an ok enough team, but I just can't see them looking any stronger than the teams above. Yes they've got ok reserves and I think at home they will be very difficult to beat. But having Auty, Jorgensen, Aarnio and the inexperience of Jordan at reserve, they may struggle away from home. Of course, a lot depends on their final signing, but I really don't see who is available???

12. Newcastle - My beloved Newcastle. I appreciate the situation the club has been in the last couple of years, with the takeover and the delayed start we had behind everyone else, and tbh we've got a pretty good team scraped together. However, we have a few too many unknowns imo. James Wright is a big unknown, he looked good at the Ben Fund last season and in years gone by, he was a decent rider, however that was an awful long time ago. An even bigger unknown is Adam Roynon's love (Or lack of) for Brough Park, really hope he can get to grips with the track and he can have an injury free season. Joe Alcock, to me, isn't good enough for this level yet, I don't want to sound harsh, but it's true. If we were going to go for that level of rider, I would have much rather have seen either Josh or Archie, think if we could have gone for someone like Connor Coles at reserve, I'd have been a lot more confident. I do however love the fact that Max and Matty are back and at 3 and 4, they should be a brilliant pairing around Brough, worth a lot more then their averages suggest. Fingers crossed my negativity is wrong, but I don't see Newcastle anywhere but the wooden spoon this year, if we finish with this team. However, I don't really care, I just wanna see some bikes now, get out the house and see some racing!!

I think Leicester clearly have a stronger 1-5 than Eastbourne, but the Eagles look stronger at reserve, plus more home track advantage than Leicester! Not so sure about Glasgow, I guess it depends on their middle order getting back to their previous form to challenge near the top! Can't see who Redcar will sign as a third HL so think they'll be nearer half way than play-off candidates!

Agree that Poole have the best top 3 in the league & as you say are likely to be quick to replace an underperforming rider, but there's not many out there to step in! Think you have greatly overestimated Plymouth as I expect them to be in a battle to avoid the wooden spoon! Edinburgh look good at the top but I reckon they'll have too long a tail to make the top 4! Agree with pretty much everything you said about Kent!

Can't really comment on Birmingham till more signings are known! Berwick should be good enough at home but likely to be poor away! I rate Scunthorpe more than you, mid table side or pushing towards play-offs depending on final rider! I agreeing Newcastle look weak but think they could do better at home than Plymouth & avoid the wooden spoon!

Edited by szkocjasid

I think we are in for a brilliant season of racing with the teams that have been built.

The stand out team for me is the all British Eastbourne side. They look solid from 1-7 & have potential  race winners in every race. A huge home track advantage aswell but i was surprised not to see Scott Nicholls line up for the Eagle this season.

Leicester look to have built a solid 1-5 which will benefit the Turbo twins x2 with less pressure to score points but I also believe they will compete at this level. So a safe play off place for The Lions.

Poole are very much a 3 man team with alot of unknown quantities in their side . Add to the fact IMO Schlein & King are on a downward spiral I think they will be in the scrap for the final play off Spot if I can’t believe how some Poole fans think they will drop down & it is a formality they will run away with the league with the side they have named #deluded

I do like the look of Glasgow they have clearly for the cheque book out again for another attempt to buy a league title , if they get Ostergaard & Sedgeman to fire they will safely make the play offs 

I am going for a dark horse to make the play offs Scunthorpe . If they find a good replacement for Jake Allen then they will be a force, With Palin at reserve & Aarnio & Jorgensen in the middle order I think they will sneak into the play offs. Auty can lead the team as a number 1 its going to be can he get the back up from Numbers 3 & 5.

So my tip

1. Eastbourne

2. Leicester

3. Glasgow

4.  Scunthorpe

5. Poole

6. Redcar

7. Edinburgh

8. Plymouth

9. Kent

10. Berwick

11. Birmingham

12. Newcastle

Edited by Lionspride
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lionspride said:

I think we are in for a brilliant season of racing with the teams that have been built.

The stand out team for me is the all British Eastbourne side. They look solid from 1-7 & have potential  race winners in every race. A huge home track advantage aswell but i was surprised not to see Scott Nicholls line up for the Eagle this season.

Leicester look to have built a solid 1-5 which will benefit the Turbo twins x2 with less pressure to score points but I also believe they will compete at this level. So a safe play off place for The Lions.

Poole are very much a 3 man team with alot of unknown quantities in their side . Add to the fact IMO Schlein & King are on a downward spiral I think they will be in the scrap for the final play off Spot if I can’t believe how some Poole fans think they will drop down & it is a formality they will run away with the league with the side they have named #deluded

I do like the look of Glasgow they have clearly for the cheque book out again for another attempt to buy a league title , if they get Ostergaard & Sedgeman to fire they will safely make the play offs 

I am going for a dark horse to make the play offs Scunthorpe . If they find a good replacement for Jake Allen then they will be a force, With Palin at reserve & Aarnio & Jorgensen in the middle order I think they will sneak into the play offs. Auty can lead the team as a number 1 its going to be can he get the back up from Numbers 3 & 5.

So my tip

1. Eastbourne

2. Leicester

3. Glasgow

4.  Scunthorpe

5. Poole

6. Redcar

7. Edinburgh

8. Plymouth

9. Berwick

10. Kent

11. Berwick

12. Birmingham

13. Newcastle

Berwick are going to be busy?

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Lionspride said:

So my tip

1. Eastbourne

2. Leicester

3. Glasgow

4.  Scunthorpe

5. Poole

6. Redcar

7. Edinburgh

8. Plymouth

9. Berwick

10. Kent

11. Berwick

12. Birmingham

13. Newcastle

Other than Scunny who I would put lower I agree pretty much with that, however I’m struggling to see how Glasgow have ‘clearly got the chequebook out again’ when pretty much nobody has said they look the strongest team.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see them struggle :wink: but I reckon Poole look better than most people think, I certainly see them more than a three man team although as ever it depends a lot on Stefan being injury free. Aussies tend not to fail when they come over so I see them right amongst it at the top. 

Love it how quite a few have Newcastle at the bottom !! If my memory serves me correctly in martin Phillip's 1st season as a promoter the diamonds were tipped to be the wooden spoonists & people were saying what a s@@te team & I don't think they lost very many meetings ?? 

4 hours ago, blueherb777 said:

Berwick are going to be busy?

Bullets might be pushing it to finish 11th, but Bandits will be much higher than 9th......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Didn't take long for the usual "cheque book" crap to surface eh Lionspride?

How many season’s is it now that the brothers have thrown money at riders to join mid season or tried to manipulate things to their advantage like the convenient “ raining off the play off final 1st leg “ when the weather was damp at worst .

remind me how that worked out for you again ......

Edited by Lionspride
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow, bitter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Wow, bitter. 

That’s understating it.

Be as well saying Glasgow will finish bottom as I don’t like them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

That’s understating it.

Come on Gaz you know the craic no one likes Glasgow... jealousy is a powerful emotion... so dont knock them for that... however there is one thing for certain Glasgow wont be bottom... although I don't think they will be top... but I think a play off place definitely beckons...

Also that might work as a plus for the Glasgow team and the pressure might be off a bit when they aren't ranked as the out and out favourites to sweep the board... seems to me over the last few seasons a great deal of pressure has been heeped on the team before the season even starts because Glasgow have been able to attract the top performers in the league....

Maybe this year when they don't seem to be as strongly fancied as they usually are this may just work in their favour...

Who knows but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out once we are up and running...

Eastbourne look the team to beat for me then Leicester and Glasgow... then perm any one from 6 or 7 teams for the remaining play off place.... could go anywhere and then sorry to say this but Brum Plymouth any my lot will be fighting for the Spoon Spot.... 

Hope I am wrong and I would like to see that last 3 at least win the bulk of their home meetings... 

As ever the changes (if there are any riders availanle to swap in) come the first set of averages released could change a clubs season dramatically....

Not long now...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling

22 hours ago, Lionspride said:

So my tip

1. Eastbourne

2. Leicester

3. Glasgow

4.  Scunthorpe

5. Poole

6. Redcar

7. Edinburgh

8. Plymouth

9. Kent

10. Berwick

11. Birmingham

12. Newcastle

People picking up the Glasgow comment but no one has yet commented the worse part of this post which is Josh Auty is a number 1.. he isn't and if he’s forced to be he will be the weakest in the league, 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

That’s understating it.

Glasgow to finish bottom as I don’t like them. :D

• Haha 4