British Speedway Forum
Bavarian

Rhodesia

Having just read this week's sequel of Brian Burford's excellent series in SPEEDWAY STAR on the History of Speedway in Rhodesia, I must say, I am absolutely fascinated.

Sad but highly interesting was the part which described the fatal accident of Ricky Wolhuter as told first hand by Jon Bower, who was involved in the crash.  

Also this week some unexpected footage of Rhodesian speedway from 1971 has turned up on YouTube. Even though it comes without sound, this historic footage is in full color and is of very good quality. This could be the only Motion Pictures surviving to this day of speedway racing in Rhodesia. It is nine minutes with scenes of the 1971 league racing at Bulawayo and Gwelo.

Easily recognizable among the riders featured are Barry Duke, Graham Plant, and Oivind Berg in his lightblue pullover.

Please take a closer look at this film and let us all know which of the other riders You can identify.

More info and pictures on the Rhodesian speedway history can be found on the excellent Speedway-SA website  https://www.speedway-sa.com/rhodesia-2.php

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

Having just read this week's sequel of Brian Burford's excellent series in SPEEDWAY STAR on the History of Speedway in Rhodesia, I must say, I am absolutely fascinated.

Sad but highly interesting was the part which described the fatal accident of Ricky Wolhuter as told first hand by Jon Bower, who was involved in the crash.  

Also this week some unexpected footage of Rhodesian speedway from 1971 has turned up on YouTube. Even though it comes without sound, this historic footage is in full color and is of very good quality. This could be the only Motion Pictures surviving to this day of speedway racing in Rhodesia. It is nine minutes with scenes of the 1971 league racing at Bulawayo and Gwelo.

Easily recognizable among the riders featured are Barry Duke, Graham Plant, and Oivind Berg in his lightblue pullover.

Please take a closer look at this film and let us all know which of the other riders You can identify.

More info and pictures on the Rhodesian speedway history can be found on the excellent Speedway-SA website  https://www.speedway-sa.com/rhodesia-2.php

I recognised Laurie Etheridge and, I think, Geoff Curtis?

From your (self appointed) Johannesburg correspondent:

Sadly speedway in Southern Africa is not what it was and the days of world class riders such as Henry Long and Doug Davies (not forgetting Buddy Fuller) are long gone. In later years riders like  Peter Prinsloo, Denzil Kent and Mike Ferreria emerged but we are unlikely to see their like ever again.

This quote from https://www.speedway-sa.com/ says it all:

"As of 2019 there is no longer any motorcycle dirt track speedway racing in South Africa."

So sad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I thought I glimpsed Geoff Curtis too. Steve. :t:

I wasn't certain until I read your Post. :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I thought I glimpsed Geoff Curtis too. Steve. :t:

I wasn't certain until I read your Post. :)

Hi there! Terrific rider...was strongly rumoured to be joining Oxford before tragically killed at the Sidney Showground.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Hi there! Terrific rider...was strongly rumoured to be joining Oxford before tragically killed at the Sidney Showground.

He was indeed a super rider Steve.

I wouldn't have been sure if it hadn't been for you though.. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your Posts. :t::approve:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

He was indeed a super rider Steve.

I wouldn't have been sure if it hadn't been for you though.. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your Posts. :t::approve:

Geoff used to live not far from me during his time at Reading at the home of the chap who used to drive the tractor at Cowley and he confirmed the story many years later to me...infact Rickard Hellsen stayed with him when he joined Oxford. Recall Rickard driving round in his black wagon that resembled a hearse!

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Geoff used to live not far from me during his time at Reading at the home of the chap who used to drive the tractor at Cowley and he confirmed the story many years later to me...infact Rickard Hellsen stayed with him when he joined Oxford. Recall Rickard driving round in his black wagon that resembled a hearse!

Great rider Geoff he reached a British Final in the real tough days,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes, Laurie Etheridge is the guy in blue leathers seen walking back to the pits at 1:17 in the film.

Where in the film have You seen Geoff Curtis?

8 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Yes, Laurie Etheridge is the guy in blue leathers seen walking back to the pits at 1:17 in the film.

Where in the film have You seen Geoff Curtis?

I think that it was during the parade and they were being pushed off and he passed the camera momentarily...approx. 2 minutes plus into the film?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

at 1:50, leading the parade of the two teams, that' Bobby Beaton as captain of the Salisbury Monarchs 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 6:51 AM, Bavarian said:

at 1:50, leading the parade of the two teams, that' Bobby Beaton as captain of the Salisbury Monarchs 

Think Alex Hughson is there with Monarchs race jacket

I have a number of Programmes from Rhodesia Speedway Meetings I will look them out and put some names up.