British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rosie76

Could Allowing Ghost Teams Have Saved Isle of Wight

In 2019 Isle of Wight put on a match against Oxford. Oxford took a coach of fans + others making their own way. The team had some riders with an Oxford link and Gordon Kennett as team manager. Would it have been attractive to the Isle of White Management to run if they could have had there NDL matches + several matches against ghost teams from the South. Think of the team options in the South, Oxford, Reading Wimbledon, Hackney, Milton Keynes, Lakeside even Swindon and Somerset + others. Cradley and Coventry and Newport could also bring travelling fans These meeting could have been pitched at NDL level or higher by IOW using some of their former riders to strenghen their team.

For this to happen it would have required the lifting of the ban on ghost teams. This rule really hurts fans of teams that no longer have tracks of their own. It would also only work if the IOW thought it was feasible. Mildenhall could also being the option to do this.

• Like 2

I was an IOW regular, but i wouldn't have gone. Maybe for a one off meeting, but i couldn't justify the expense for challenge matches. It's not cheap travelling from the mainland.

A total non-starter. What riders would have made up those ‘ ghost ‘ teams ? The same southern based riders every other week ? And just who would IOW track ? No, not a good idea.

• Like 1

The suggestion was the IOW would have had a team in the league as well, but also could have added former riders of theirs for some of these matches if the oposition was stronger. Yes I see the point about the opposition could mean several riders would appear for different teams. When Oxford rode there it was also peak holiday season which may have compensated for some of the regulars missing who choose not to travel to challenge matches. IOW seemed to have quite a few non league meetings in recent times. Obivously for this to have happened the promoters would have needed to felt they could make it feasible.

If the reason IOW left the NL was due to lack of competitive fixtures (8 max is understandable) I wonder if they considered (or would have been allowed to) running two NL teams?

Presumably signing on fees at NL aren't prohibitive so signing up 14 riders would have been too costly?  Would have made it a 10 team league so 18 home fixtures on the Island.

9 hours ago, enotian said:

If the reason IOW left the NL was due to lack of competitive fixtures (8 max is understandable) I wonder if they considered (or would have been allowed to) running two NL teams?

Presumably signing on fees at NL aren't prohibitive so signing up 14 riders would have been too costly?  Would have made it a 10 team league so 18 home fixtures on the Island.

I fully understand that the politics involved pushed the Island to resign from the NL. From a financial point of view, 7 league matches plus a couple of fillers and the odd shared event might have been enough post Covid. No one really knows what the crowd levels will be, when the season finally gets going.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:28 PM, enotian said:

Signing on fees in the NDL :o it’s meant to be an amateur League

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Heedthebaw said:

Signing on fees in the NDL :o it’s meant to be an amateur League

Fees and assistance given by some clubs over the years would make your eyes water.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Fees and assistance given by some clubs over the years would make your eyes water.....

Too true.  From a way back in Division 3/Conference League days one club from the east which is running this year and one border one which has just returning this year.  Both under different "Promotions".