British Speedway Forum
rearingtogo

Rider who holds the most track records in the u.k?

Just wondered if anyone knows who holds or has held the most track records on tracks in the U.K.?

Edited by rearingtogo

I would imagine Briggo would be right up there.

I would imagine Hans Nielsen held many track records during his long and distinguished career.

Think when Cookie was at Edinburgh he basically went round smashing track records one season. 

• Like 2

Guest compost
17 hours ago, rearingtogo said:

Just wondered if anyone knows who holds or has held the most track records on tracks in the U.K.?

Looking through my, incomplete, records covering the period 1929 to 2009 gives the following riders who have held track records (some of which may have been shared) -

18 TR's - Anders Michanek, Eric Langton, Frank Varey, Martin Ashby

19 - Peter Collins, Tom Farndon

20 - Sprouts Elder

21 - Michael Lee

23 - Phil Crump

27 - Vic Huxley

29 - John Jackson, Squib Burton

35 - Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen

43 - John Louis

Top spot goes to -

Jack Parker with 55

I'm missing details for most of the 80's and the mid-to-late 50's and early 60's give few records being set - I think this was in part as for several seasons they didn't give heat times out. The numbers given are for a track record time being set not per track, so a meeting in which a track record was set in more than one heat would have each qualifying heat being included above (hope that makes sense).

Above applies to British tracks only.

Edited by compost
British tracks only

33 minutes ago, compost said:

Looking through my, incomplete, records covering the period 1929 to 2009 gives the following riders who have held track records (some of which may have been shared) -

20 - Sprouts Elder

21 - Michael Lee

23 - Phil Crump

27 - Vic Huxley

43 - John Louis

Top spot goes to -

Jack Parker with 55

I'm missing details for most of the 80's and the mid-to-late 50's and early 60's give few records being set - I think this was in part as for several seasons they didn't give heat times out. The numbers given are for a track record time being set not per track, so a meeting in which a track record was set in more than one heat would have each qualifying heat being included above (hope that makes sense).

Interesting to see Martin Ashby listed with 18...vastly underrated rider.

• Like 1

Checking my 1978 Year Book Ole Olsen came out top with eight Track records to his name achieved during the 1977 season.

• Thanks 1

Bruce Cribb smashed track record after track record where ever he took his bike , but he did cheat . it was an ice speedway bike .  

• Haha 2

Think Martin Yeates held a few of the old National League track records in the 70’s and 80’s?

7 hours ago, compost said:

20 - Sprouts Elder

21 - Michael Lee

23 - Phil Crump

27 - Vic Huxley

43 - John Louis

Top spot goes to -

Jack Parker with 55

Thanks for your input,much appreciated 

Andrew Silver held quite a few at one point

• Like 2

Think they didn’t give out heat times during the handicapping era when the “Big 5” dominated the old National League.

Slightly off topic, but was wondering who has held a track record for the longest (assuming the clock stops in the event of a track closure). I know Ricky Ashworth, has held the Sheffield track record for over 10 years.