British Speedway Forum
rearingtogo

Rider who holds the most track records in the u.k?

On 3/19/2021 at 11:18 AM, compost said:

Looking through my, incomplete, records covering the period 1929 to 2009 gives the following riders who have held track records (some of which may have been shared) -

18 TR's - Anders Michanek, Eric Langton, Frank Varey, Martin Ashby

19 - Peter Collins, Tom Farndon

20 - Sprouts Elder

21 - Michael Lee

23 - Phil Crump

27 - Vic Huxley

29 - John Jackson, Squib Burton

35 - Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen

43 - John Louis

Top spot goes to -

Jack Parker with 55

I'm missing details for most of the 80's and the mid-to-late 50's and early 60's give few records being set - I think this was in part as for several seasons they didn't give heat times out. The numbers given are for a track record time being set not per track, so a meeting in which a track record was set in more than one heat would have each qualifying heat being included above (hope that makes sense).

Above applies to British tracks only.

Great piece of work.

Just so I'm clear, the above calculation relates to the number of times they broke a track record on any track, at any time? So John Louis for example, might have broken the Ipswich record 43 times?

Guest compost
3 hours ago, falcace said:

Just so I'm clear, the above calculation relates to the number of times they broke a track record on any track, at any time? So John Louis for example, might have broken the Ipswich record 43 times?

The figures I quoted were the number of different times a rider held a track record, at any track. So yes John Louis could have only held the Ipswich track record on 43 occassions (he didn't but it would be theoretically possible). Theoretically those 43 records could have been consequetive heats i.e. heat 1 TR, heat 2 TR, heat 3 TR etc.  I think the most that any rider has broken (or equalled) a track record in the same competition or match was 3 times.

A quick update as I am reviewing the figures.  Pre-war the star man was Vic Huxley with around 85 records (I can't look up the exact number at present) though overall (that's both pre- and post- war combined) Jack Parker leads with around 88.  Ole Olsen is the best placed 'modern' era rider with around 55 (these figures are subject to review).

One other thing to point out is that Pre-war there were a lot more records for riders to get than after the war.  For instance, Pre-war there were 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (up to 10) Lap  Track records which could be from a Flying-, Push-, clutch-, Standing- or Rolling- start.  Some tracks also had local rider, lady rider and mile (both British and European) records (all these last categories are not included in the figures I've given).  Hope that clarifies things for you ?

The only problem was nearly all of them were hand timing and therefore not very accurate so they can  nearly all be taken with a pinch of salt

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

The only problem was nearly all of them were hand timing and therefore not very accurate so they can  nearly all be taken with a pinch of salt

Absolutely. I've never taken that much notice of track records or indeed winning times in general.

In some ways, it reminds me of athletics where some records just hold more sway that others. For example, Scott Autrey's Exeter record lasted 17 years and was Beamon-esque! :)

Antonio Lindback’s Track Record at Poole will be 15 Years old this year....Are there any Current Track Records that are as old or older?

Guest compost

For those interested, a quick update.

Checked through pre-war that's available plus most of the period up to '65 (plus odds 'n ends after '64). The top 21 (as there is a 'tie' for 20th) is -

image.png.3af88e13b0e479276ccd1df32e7498fd.png

Mainly pre-war but then with so many different track records available at the time its not surprising.

Edited by compost
Trying to remove duplicate table

Guest compost

As an update the latest top 10 (well 13 as there is a tie for 10th) is -

image.png.03c8654264fd6f1b8f42b1bb575f8e0d.png

Covers all Researcher updates to date plus up to 1968 in full.

Mauger & Olsen tie for the top 80's riders

Gordon Kennett is the top 90s rider with 21 in joint 35th place

Martin Dugard is the top 00's rider with 16 in joint 48th

Unlikely Mauger and Olsen (or anyone else will challenge Parker and Huxley)  but I'd expect them to overtake Elder.

BTW the 'decades' are from memory and for a rider last in competitive League racing in that decade. Only going to go to 2009.

Guest compost
1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

That’s a tie for 11th place.

Doh !  Thanks :D