British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petecc

Premiership junior league

3 hours ago, Lefty said:

1) the paying public feel short changed (again?)

2) the junior riders miss out and wonder why they bother?

3) the paying public wonder why there was a 25 mins interval between the meetings.

needs a good pits staff to get things moving along and known times for track grading and intervals. At Birmingham we achieved that and ran a slick presentation , had 10 min interval time for the kids to come out and have activities , ran MSDL 6 heats plus 125cc demos after heat 2, 4 and 6 and even had time for practice if we finished before the 10pm curfew . Just needs organisation and the right people in the jobs . 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

apologies for not finding the negative - will try harder in future.

A competition - no matter how limited - has been announced which will provide extra track time for those riders who want to, and can, utilise it. Potentially the weather, injuries and delays in the preceding main meeting may restrict or even lead to the cancellation of these races. Alternatively they may not.

These opportunities did not exist in previous seasons. It seems like a good thing ... you and many others may disagree.

The World might end tonight (or on any subsequent night ... or day) - which could lead to the postponement of the Premiership Junior League.

:t:Then again it might not.

Yes you must no place for positives here. 

The opportunities did exist in previous seasons and was run as the MDL/MSDL. Second half races run under the same format that did allow up to two NL level riders per team, hardly any took up the opportunity due to the fact it was an unpaid ride and the possibility of being beaten by those after their place. It ran very successfully driven by the hard work of very under valued volunteers until the ghost team ruling was passed thus driving out most competing teams and paving the way for this re-brand / claimed new event (all hail the BSPL). 

Five of the six PL teams have entered development league sides previously and all withdrew the level of support to these competitions. I see no reason why they simply couldn't have entered teams into an existing league and possibly created North/South groups from that if the travelling was a genuine concern? 

I would be delighted to be proven wrong and that this is all for the benefit of the sport with zero self serving interests but i fear this is just another step to pave the way for a final destruction of the current NL as we knew it.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Yes you must no place for positives here. 

The opportunities did exist in previous seasons and was run as the MDL/MSDL. Second half races run under the same format that did allow up to two NL level riders per team, hardly any took up the opportunity due to the fact it was an unpaid ride and the possibility of being beaten by those after their place. It ran very successfully driven by the hard work of very under valued volunteers until the ghost team ruling was passed thus driving out most competing teams and paving the way for this re-brand / claimed new event (all hail the BSPL). 

Five of the six PL teams have entered development league sides previously and all withdrew the level of support to these competitions. I see no reason why they simply couldn't have entered teams into an existing league and possibly created North/South groups from that if the travelling was a genuine concern? 

I would be delighted to be proven wrong and that this is all for the benefit of the sport with zero self serving interests but i fear this is just another step to pave the way for a final destruction of the current NL as we knew it.  

You ever thought about applying for a job with the Samaritans ?

Doom, doom, doom. 
Your upset with decisions that have been made, we get it. Move on .

3 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

You ever thought about applying for a job with the Samaritans ?

Doom, doom, doom. 
Your upset with decisions that have been made, we get it. Move on .

Nah sitting around and listening to people moan all day sounds very tedious :D

Yes i am upset, disappointed, saddened, angry about the decisions that have been made and the BS spin that has been served up with it. In a couple of years when all the four leagues are flourishing i will happily congratulate the board for their superior forethought. If as i suspect there is only two and a bit leagues left i hope others acknowledge that writing has been on the wall for a while.

• Haha 1

... and while the MDL/SDL may have had its problems what about the successes of the Northern Junior League? Integrating 500cc and 125cc and this year trialling - along with Birmingham from the MDL - a way of bringing the 250cc classes into a meeting set-up.

Obviously nothing and (virtually) nobody is perfect ... but at least some are trying to improve matters. Perhaps, just perhaps, there is more than a sticking plaster solution needed. The answer might be more important than whether towns without a team for decades are included in a league or not.

Maybe it needs a radical overhaul - as long as teams don't pull out when they don't get their own, very club-centric, way.

If all four leagues are flourishing in the future you'll still find something to whinge about . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think A simple rule to start racing at 7:30 prompt with no excuse. With at the promotions descretion a parade at 7:15. Then a full 15 heats of PL/CL or NL racing then a 15 minute parade for the victors & a little track grade followed by programmed Junior racing followed by scratch racing or practice until curfew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Dodds said:

... and while the MDL/SDL may have had its problems what about the successes of the Northern Junior League? Integrating 500cc and 125cc and this year trialling - along with Birmingham from the MDL - a way of bringing the 250cc classes into a meeting set-up.

Obviously nothing and (virtually) nobody is perfect ... but at least some are trying to improve matters. Perhaps, just perhaps, there is more than a sticking plaster solution needed. The answer might be more important than whether towns without a team for decades are included in a league or not.

Maybe it needs a radical overhaul - as long as teams don't pull out when they don't get their own, very club-centric, way.

If all four leagues are flourishing in the future you'll still find something to whinge about . 

For me the Njl is a far better format with the 125 then 500 and know with the introduction of 250 makes it a complete package. Give kids an opportunity to join a club and become part of it and see a clear pathway throughout the levels if good enough.

the Mdsl with its 500 ruling only gives opportunities to older riders who have come through the other cc classes elsewhere and have reached a sufficient level to be allowed to race with adults. Then it claims to of developed them which is not strictly the truth.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

For me the Njl is a far better format with the 125 then 500 and know with the introduction of 250 makes it a complete package. Give kids an opportunity to join a club and become part of it and see a clear pathway throughout the levels if good enough.

the Mdsl with its 500 ruling only gives opportunities to older riders who have come through the other cc classes elsewhere and have reached a sufficient level to be allowed to race with adults. Then it claims to of developed them which is not strictly the truth.

just to clarify. The MSDL gives more rides and varied format than the NJL (which also does a great job) with same 2 meeting each other only. Most MDL/ SDL/ MSDL also have 125s /250's doing 2 or 3 rides but not on a points basis. The NJL format was looked at by the MSDL but at that time the 125 scene was highly Northern based and the decision was made to continue with the format . So in essence the 500's used may have used riders who came through the British Youth system but not solely as some clubs helped bring on the 125/250 lads until they moved to 500's and will continue to do so giving them valuable track time . Not every club followed this but ones that did can claim they helped develop them and the move to 500's was the natural progression.  The important thing is that the would be superstars of the future get track time and both the MDL and NJL have brought on many riders who have moved on to the bigger leagues and long may that continue. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 5:36 PM, Technik said:

I think A simple rule to start racing at 7:30 prompt with no excuse. With at the promotions descretion a parade at 7:15. Then a full 15 heats of PL/CL or NL racing then a 15 minute parade for the victors & a little track grade followed by programmed Junior racing followed by scratch racing or practice until curfew.

I've been to loads of meetings where the advertised start time is 7.30, yet at 7.35 they've only just started to wheel the bikes out for the parade.

I think there has been some improvement in recent years in terms of getting meetings run to time without messing about, but it's not always down to the promoters.  As most of them rent the stadium, they're landlords want delays because they want them to spend money in the bars and burger vans.

Is it about time some more information was forthcoming?  Fixtures dates?  Riders named? Meeting format?

On 3/31/2021 at 7:39 PM, MattB said:

I've been to loads of meetings where the advertised start time is 7.30, yet at 7.35 they've only just started to wheel the bikes out for the parade.

I think there has been some improvement in recent years in terms of getting meetings run to time without messing about, but it's not always down to the promoters.  As most of them rent the stadium, they're landlords want delays because they want them to spend money in the bars and burger vans.

It's a problem at Monbore...mainly because due to Dog Meeting on a Monday afternoon the Speedway is locked out until around 6.15pm.

Most tracks including Brummies try to start very punctually and certainly a lot more so since Masons / Rogers took over PB.

36 minutes ago, HGould said:

It's a problem at Monbore...mainly because due to Dog Meeting on a Monday afternoon the Speedway is locked out until around 6.15pm.

Most tracks including Brummies try to start very punctually and certainly a lot more so since Masons / Rogers took over PB.

See what happens at Birmingham when the new owners put dog meetings on a Wednesday and how it will affect speedway? And at wolves they are not locked out as you say, work goes on all day on the track,  it just riders are nor allowed in the pit area till after the last race. 

1 hour ago, Trackerman48 said:

See what happens at Birmingham when the new owners put dog meetings on a Wednesday and how it will affect speedway? And at wolves they are not locked out as you say, work goes on all day on the track,  it just riders are nor allowed in the pit area till after the last race. 

my point exactly...75 minutes maximum for Riders to prepare for the start and Staff in the Pits to be organised equals regularly late starts. Never mentioned the actual track.

Brummies don't have "new owners" the current ones have been there for quite a while, they have moved in to Kent, may be you are getting confused?

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

my point exactly...75 minutes maximum for Riders to prepare for the start and Staff in the Pits to be organised equals regularly late starts. Never mentioned the actual track.

Brummies don't have "new owners" the current ones have been there for quite a while, they have moved in to Kent, may be you are getting confused?

Like I've said you will have the same problem as wolves when they start putting afternoon bags meetings on a Wednesday which they have already said they want to do. As that what being's in the most money,  

As pointed out above 75minutes is not a great amount of time if you factor in the pits parking debacle that occurs at Brum. Both Wolves and Brum are planning to run MDL teams this year, plus challenges and the Prem Junior League at Monmore. Im not even sure there will be enough available dates without the inevitable call offs due to curfews/weather/lack of willing riders.