British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tocha

New Junior League 2021

Excellent idea. I've always missed the traditional "second halves" and thought it was an opportunity missed to give youngsters some much needed track time. To put these juniors in to a proper organised race format is just the experience they need, and I'm sure fans will stay behind after the main event to give them encouragement, I certainly will. 

6 minutes ago, Bunce said:

Excellent idea. I've always missed the traditional "second halves" and thought it was an opportunity missed to give youngsters some much needed track time. To put these juniors in to a proper organised race format is just the experience they need, and I'm sure fans will stay behind after the main event to give them encouragement, I certainly will. 

Have you been to any speedway meetings in the last 10 years? There was this thing called the Midland Development League

Edited by JamesHarris
  • Like 1

Any extra rides for the young ones has to be a big bonus and a step forward.

The more track time , the faster they will progress

So what are they classing as the ‘ juniors ‘ in this scenario ? National League riders ? MDL/NJL riders ? or have they a box of brand new juniors ready to ride one or two rides a week or 4 possibly 5 matches ( 10 rides ? ) this season ?

Sounds like they have just come up with a new name for something that already existed at most tracks to me only vastly watered down.

• Like 3

"The clubs have been split into two regional groups with Belle Vue, Sheffield and Wolverhampton making up one section and Ipswich, King’s Lynn and Peterborough in the other. The group winners will meet in the Final."

“It might only be three or four races, but the importance is to give track time to these lower-starred riders, the ones and twos, to add to their National Development League racing."

So each club will stage 2 home matches, that will consist of 4 races.  Whats the point of these riders travelling to a track for that? Most clubs could easily fit in more races if needed. Once they have appeared for their team will they become assets of that club? Also could these riders be able to ride for a club in each Group? 

Just seems a half hearted attempt to me.... so perfectly fits with British speedway :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

Have you been to any speedway meetings in the last 10 years? There was this thing called the Midland Development League

and it still exists !! The MDL came first , then the SDL then it amalgamated to become the MSDL and will be running in 2021 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

"The clubs have been split into two regional groups with Belle Vue, Sheffield and Wolverhampton making up one section and Ipswich, King’s Lynn and Peterborough in the other. The group winners will meet in the Final."

“It might only be three or four races, but the importance is to give track time to these lower-starred riders, the ones and twos, to add to their National Development League racing."

So each club will stage 2 home matches, that will consist of 4 races.  Whats the point of these riders travelling to a track for that? Most clubs could easily fit in more races if needed. Once they have appeared for their team will they become assets of that club? Also could these riders be able to ride for a club in each Group? 

Just seems a half hearted attempt to me.... so perfectly fits with British speedway :rolleyes:

think it will run under the MSDL 4 rider, 6 heat formula ---- perhaps the clubs could also enter the MSDL to give more track time??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

Oh Yes, most Kings Lynn meetings and Mildenhall as well.

12 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

and it still exists !! The MDL came first , then the SDL then it amalgamated to become the MSDL and will be running in 2021 

Without the nomad teams i feel its highly unlikely to run at anywhere near the levels it once did. In less than 10 years it has gone from a league of 10+ to 2.

As for the PJL it just reeks of a demo for the new national league, 1 & 2 star grade riders getting 3 rides after a higher tier meeting. The board have seen the NL as a threat and are closing it down piece by piece just like they have with the MSDL. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:29 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

Without the nomad teams i feel its highly unlikely to run at anywhere near the levels it once did. In less than 10 years it has gone from a league of 10+ to 2.

As for the PJL it just reeks of a demo for the new national league, 1 & 2 star grade riders getting 3 rides after a higher tier meeting. The board have seen the NL as a threat and are closing it down piece by piece just like they have with the MSDL. 

A threat to what ???

They have imposed rules on the NDL as they can do ( “ in the best interests of the sport “) , what the heck was it threatening ?

Other than pretending it was a professional league and paying wages way above a sustainable level but that was upto them , it wasn’t and isn’t threatening any thing !

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

A threat to what ???

They have imposed rules on the NDL as they can do ( “ in the best interests of the sport “) , what the heck was it threatening ?

Other than pretending it was a professional league and paying wages way above a sustainable level but that was upto them , it wasn’t and isn’t threatening any thing !

The NDL has been threatening the higher leagues for ages in that it did deliver entertaining racing at a price that was relatively affordable. The paying public were able to see riders learn and develop and form an affinity with British riders rather than watch fortunes paid out to overseas mercenaries that blight the higher divisions.

The wages for most clubs were entirely sustainable and indeed Kent declared a profit every season it ran at NL and IOW always maintained that break even was the minimum requirement. Yes the rates have crept up and theres no hardship giving them a bit of a trim but the imposed rules are to solely benefit the CL. 

The CL want reserves on £40-50 a point but are happy to pay massive guarantees to washed up PL double downers and throw plenty of funds at the visa requirements of unproven riders. It would certainly be interesting to see how much a 4 point Brit would improve over a season if they were given a base salary, accommodation and all the other frills that goes to non eu riders. 

The NDL was a sustainable product hence why several clubs dropped down to regroup after experiencing financial difficulties and ironically (or pre planned) the lower grade product will be a much harder sell to the paying public compared to the CL.....a coincidence? i think not.

• Sad 1

Perhaps you’re right but I find it a bit far fetched that the BL is seen as a threat. In my opinion it should be a training league and the vast majority of the riders in it should be inexperienced youngsters with minimal professional third division riders. I appreciate that Mildenhall and IOW probably fall in between the NL and the Championship which is a great pity, ideally you would want them in the second division but it’s well known that crowd levels haven’t supported that in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The NDL has been threatening the higher leagues for ages in that it did deliver entertaining racing at a price that was relatively affordable. The paying public were able to see riders learn and develop and form an affinity with British riders rather than watch fortunes paid out to overseas mercenaries that blight the higher divisions.

The wages for most clubs were entirely sustainable and indeed Kent declared a profit every season it ran at NL and IOW always maintained that break even was the minimum requirement. Yes the rates have crept up and theres no hardship giving them a bit of a trim but the imposed rules are to solely benefit the CL. 

The CL want reserves on £40-50 a point but are happy to pay massive guarantees to washed up PL double downers and throw plenty of funds at the visa requirements of unproven riders. It would certainly be interesting to see how much a 4 point Brit would improve over a season if they were given a base salary, accommodation and all the other frills that goes to non eu riders. 

The NDL was a sustainable product hence why several clubs dropped down to regroup after experiencing financial difficulties and ironically (or pre planned) the lower grade product will be a much harder sell to the paying public compared to the CL.....a coincidence? i think not.

“The NDL is threatening the higher leagues “ , have you lost your marbles ? 
. The  “ imposed rules “ how do they  “solely benefit the CL ? “
Few clubs pay accommodation and all the “ other frills “ , unless you sign for Glasgow those things rarely, if ever , happen now. Riders have to pay for their own visa’s, clubs only pay for a work permit to employ such riders.

You come across , repeatedly , as extremely bitter and you need to get over it. Ever other one of your posts is ranting about the changes in the NDL and how your glass is completely empty never mind half full. 
Try talking about something positive for a change.

• Like 1