British Speedway Forum
JamesHarris

Speedway "fans" are just a whinging bunch of muppets who secretly want to see the sport die.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:13 PM, JamesHarris said:

Sorry just had to start this thread. 

Well you seem to have lighted the blue touch paper and stood back. Are you going to give your opinion?

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

Well you seem to have lighted the blue touch paper and stood back. Are you going to give your opinion?

Has a whinge and then doesn't attend

Very apt really :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Has a whinge and then doesn't attend

Very apt really :)

Except, he/she is suggesting, 'others' are whinging, but he/she isn't! I say he/she as he/she maybe using a pseudonym. :unsure:

Edited by Ray Stadia
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Except, he/she is suggesting, 'others' are whinging, but he/she isn't! I say he/she as he/she maybe using a pseudonym. :unsure:

Ray there's so many people on here who don't go , but think they could do so much better? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Ray there's so many people on here who don't go , but think they could do so much better? 

Just re-reading John Berry's book and although written some years ago many of his observations and/or thoughts are still relevant.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

True. And maybe, we are all guilty of that. ;)

On 4/6/2021 at 12:14 PM, steve roberts said:

Just re-reading John Berry's book and although written some years ago many of his observations and/or thoughts are still relevant.

I think even John Berry would have difficulties promoting the sport today, as even he acknowledged some years ago. He did say that he was fortunate to hit on the right location at the right time (although less so at Doncaster), but the sport still had a bigger profile and fanbase in 1969 compared to now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think even John Berry would have difficulties promoting the sport today, as even he acknowledged some years ago. He did say that he was fortunate to hit on the right location at the right time (although less so at Doncaster), but the sport still had a bigger profile and fanbase in 1969 compared to now.

...he forsee the difficulties and problems that speedway in the UK was facing and many of his observations unfortunately became the reality.

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

...he forsee the difficulties and problems that speedway in the UK was facing and many of his observations unfortunately became the reality.

Sure, but that didn't need a crystal ball. :D

Just now, Humphrey Appleby said:

Sure, but that didn't need a crystal ball. :D

...or indeed the benefit of hindsight. He saw problems during the last "Golden Era" whereas others just chose to ignore it.

There was a mini-resurgence for the sport when Sky Sports came on board. 

Unfortunately, every promoter wasted the income on rider's instead of future proofing. 

As I've said before, the National Speedway Stadium had come 20 years to late. Had any club had the foresight back then, I'm convinced other's would have followed.

The financial waste has been astronomical. 

There is a chance again now to try & do something about it. The pandemic has created a reset. It's critical the sport finds someone from outside to help with the rebuild, there are currently no promoter's with the mindset to do it through fear of damaging their immediate pockets. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

There was a mini-resurgence for the sport when Sky Sports came on board. 

Unfortunately, every promoter wasted the income on rider's instead of future proofing. 

As I've said before, the National Speedway Stadium had come 20 years to late. Had any club had the foresight back then, I'm convinced other's would have followed.

The financial waste has been astronomical. 

There is a chance again now to try & do something about it. The pandemic has created a reset. It's critical the sport finds someone from outside to help with the rebuild, there are currently no promoter's with the mindset to do it through fear of damaging their immediate pockets. 

Now it's a "Limited Company" maybe they will work collectively to purchase/rent land to build some tracks on? 

Especially in areas that are reliant on Greyhound racing to provide them with a track...

20 or so BSPL share holders sharing the initial start up costs for a new venture must be a better bet than just one promoter having to go it alone...

If they can buy land outright then they will have a permanent asset and any promoter promoting at that track could pay rent to the organisation rather than a third party non Speedway landlord..

Rustic Speedway initially I am sure but longer term it must be mean a more certain future by having less reliance on non Speedway landlords.. 

• Like 4

On 3/28/2021 at 5:57 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

Did you mean the STANDARD of speedway has deteriorated  :-)

Supporter of New Cross, West Ham, Wimbledon, Hackney, Crayford, Canterbury, Arena Essex, Rye House speedway clubs.  

What's there to whinge about  ??

And Kent now?

• Confused 1

Aha Hackney Hawk, not so keen on attending speedway anymore .... not so much a supporter of Kent rather a very occasional attendee. 

tbh I haven't the patience to sit around (even in Kent's palacial surroundings) watching the seemingly never ending delays to racing. The last meeting I attended  was at Kent in 2019, with frequent delays and ended before heat 15 due to the  "curfew" restriction,  and I haven't been back since.    

On 4/9/2021 at 4:25 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

Aha Hackney Hawk, not so keen on attending speedway anymore .... not so much a supporter of Kent rather a very occasional attendee. 

tbh I haven't the patience to sit around (even in Kent's palacial surroundings) watching the seemingly never ending delays to racing. The last meeting I attended  was at Kent in 2019, with frequent delays and ended before heat 15 due to the  "curfew" restriction,  and I haven't been back since.    

Yes fair enough, I could cry about what has happened to Speedway and the fact that I have had to change 'home' tracks so many times.  I'm going to give Kent another go myself this season but if it's not good (presentation, parade, racing etc) then I think that's it for me and Speedway!