British Speedway Forum
JamesHarris

Speedway "fans" are just a whinging bunch of muppets who secretly want to see the sport die.

2 hours ago, MattK said:

I think you're on to something. Speedway fans moan endlessly about there only being six or seven teams in a league, but rugby fans cream themselves about the same six teams playing each other every year in the Six Nations.

And you never hear boat race fans complaining about how boring it is that Oxford and Cambridge have reached the final again....

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I think a lot of people are living under a cloud at the moment. When the sun breaks through, their mood will lighten. Hopefully a Covid free summer will bring some optimism back.

Covid free summer could be a big ask.IMO

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Did you mean the STANDARD of speedway has deteriorated  :-)

Supporter of New Cross, West Ham, Wimbledon, Hackney, Crayford, Canterbury, Arena Essex, Rye House speedway clubs.  

What's there to whinge about  ??

No definitely meant status.

The Standard has improved.  Whether the quality of the entertainment has suffered as a result is debatable but certainly the sports popularity in this country has waned. I suspect there are numerous reasons for this.

We'll free to whinge if that's your bag we all enjoy a bit of one now and then.

Personally I prefer to spend my free time enjoying whatever I'm up to but it takes all sorts.

47 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Covid free summer could be a big ask.IMO

How dare you say that. You'll get accused of being negative!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

How dare you say that. You'll get accused of being negative!

Keeps the Topic going though.:D

18 hours ago, MattK said:

I think you're on to something. Speedway fans moan endlessly about there only being six or seven teams in a league, but rugby fans cream themselves about the same six teams playing each other every year in the Six Nations.

Probably because when I started watching Swindon there were 18/19 teams in league

• Like 2

Interesting to note that the person who started this thread has not taken part in the discussion. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Swindon..... didn't they used to race at the stadium at  Blunsdon ??

They used to, may return next year? Reigning Champions and Cup holders:D

I can't believe anyone on here secretly wants speedway to die. However, I think many of us are frustrated and sad that speedway is dying, especially as many of us saw the rot setting in years ago, but we were slapped down for being negative, if we voiced our opinion. :cry:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I can't believe anyone on here secretly wants speedway to die. However, I think many of us are frustrated and sad that speedway is dying, especially as many of us saw the rot setting in years ago, but we were slapped down for being negative, if we voiced our opinion. :cry:

unfortunately i think there are a fair number of secret "i told you so" on this forum, just to prove a point if things fail

Edited by stevehone
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevehone said:

unfortunately i think there are a fair number of secret "i told you so" on this forum, just to prove a point if things fail

But if they had a good point at the time, but some on here wanted to believe all was rosy, when things were not, surely they have a right to point out 'I told you so'. :unsure:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

No secrecy from me.

If?? 

The people running British Speedway have consistently failed the sport for 20+ years. The fans are not the problem here, footfall through the turnstiles is all the proof needed. 

There's been no "I told you so" from any of us that no longer go. We want this sport to be the best (which it can be) but the promoter's have zero ambition to do so. Their way to keep the money coming in is simply, as the crowd numbers fall, admission prices go up to make up the shortfall. 

British Speedway's business model is run in an absolutely appalling way. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

But if they had a good point at the time, but some on here wanted to believe all was rosy, when things were not, surely they have a right to point out 'I told you so'. :unsure:

Especially when the operating and business model that they have ran now for so long was/is so clearly, glaringly unfit for purpose if you want to make a success of the sport..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2021 at 5:34 PM, Daniel Smith said:

No secrecy from me.

If?? 

The people running British Speedway have consistently failed the sport for 20+ years. The fans are not the problem here, footfall through the turnstiles is all the proof needed. 

There's been no "I told you so" from any of us that no longer go. We want this sport to be the best (which it can be) but the promoter's have zero ambition to do so. Their way to keep the money coming in is simply, as the crowd numbers fall, admission prices go up to make up the shortfall. 

British Speedway's business model is run in an absolutely appalling way. 

I agree completely BUT give me matches where at least 50% of the heats have close racing with passing or some very likelu prospect of passing and I would still go ( providing REAL efforts were made with all aspects of social distancing / toilts etc - being 72 and preferring not to die that Covid way ). But for too many years what they have sold me was boring and very poor VFM.