British Speedway Forum
Mimmo

Driving After Dark

So there's a suggestion this morning on the news, that elderly people should be banned from driving in the dark.  If that rule comes into place, it will close the sport of speedway down in this country, as the greater percentage of supporters fall into that bracket, along with most of the voluntary workers, and in quite a few cases promoters and team managers.

It would also close a great many theatres, cinemas etc; outside the boundaries of cities, and greatly affect attendances at other sporting venues, such as football, especially non-league, where they couldn't take that sort of hit.

Very worrying time for everybody over whatever age they decided to call elderly (I think somebody mentioned 70).  

2 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

So there's a suggestion this morning on the news, that elderly people should be banned from driving in the dark.  If that rule comes into place, it will close the sport of speedway down in this country, as the greater percentage of supporters fall into that bracket, along with most of the voluntary workers, and in quite a few cases promoters and team managers.

It would also close a great many theatres, cinemas etc; outside the boundaries of cities, and greatly affect attendances at other sporting venues, such as football, especially non-league, where they couldn't take that sort of hit.

Very worrying time for everybody over whatever age they decided to call elderly (I think somebody mentioned 70).  

I think the human rights brigade, would soon leap on any attempt to bring in legislation. However, at the tender age of nearly 63, I am finding driving in the dark more of a challenge now, especially with the lack of street lighting or poor lighting in many areas. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

DON'T think it is a blanket ban on all over-70s ... if (big if) it happens would only apply to those with specific health issues which might impair their ability to be safe on the road.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DON'T think it is a blanket ban on all over-70s ... if (big if) it happens would only apply to those with specific health issues which might impair their ability to be safe on the road.

I certainly hope so, as I'm 77-years old now, have an annual eye test (all is good), and I'm safer and more alert on the roads than I was when in my twenties.
Gone are the days of driving at 70mph in 50mph areas, and I stick in most part to the speed limits.  My reactions are as good as they've ever been, and I'd happily take a test against any driver of any age on that score..  

Night blindness is a common side-effect of diabetes, I have it and I certainly wouldn't trust myself to drive after dark, but how many will admit that?

Regular eye tests should be the criteria regardless of age.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, foamfence said:

Night blindness is a common side-effect of diabetes, I have it and I certainly wouldn't trust myself to drive after dark, but how many will admit that?

I have diabetes, controlled by diet of which the DVLA know about, and they've given me the okay to drive, and luckily, I don't suffer night blindness.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think the human rights brigade, would soon leap on any attempt to bring in legislation. However, at the tender age of nearly 63, I am finding driving in the dark more of a challenge now, especially with the lack of street lighting or poor lighting in many areas. 

I don't think the new LED street lights are any better, cheaper maybe, but there is no spread of light only puddles of light.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Regular eye tests should be the criteria regardless of age.

I AGREE...:)

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

I AGREE...:)

B) Who said that?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mimmo said:

I have diabetes, controlled by diet of which the DVLA know about, and they've given me the okay to drive, and luckily, I don't suffer night blindness.   

The problem is you're obviously far more conscientious than the vast majority, fairplay to you for being so. I'm 58 and passed my test just before my 18th birthday, i hate to think of the bad habits i''ve picked up over the years. As i've got older i dislike driving at night, in heavy rain or fog more each time it happens. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The White Knight said:

Well, I am 7 days short of being 76 years of age. I gave up driving a couple of months ago now because I felt my concentration is not what it used to be. I did not want to hurt anyone else, or myself, for that matter, and decided the time had come for me to give up. So I did, and have no real regrets about my decision.

It's an individual thing, some should pack it in early or some can go on to a hundred if all is well with them. I believe the time was right for me.

You're a wiseman to know when to cal it quits, 

• Like 2

I've always thought that from 65 two driving safety assessments should be enforced every 2 years. One in the day, one at night. 

15 hours ago, The White Knight said:

Well, I am 7 days short of being 76 years of age. I gave up driving a couple of months ago now because I felt my concentration is not what it used to be. I did not want to hurt anyone else, or myself, for that matter, and decided the time had come for me to give up. So I did, and have no real regrets about my decision.

It's an individual thing, some should pack it in early or some can go on to a hundred if all is well with them. I believe the time was right for me.

I have now reached the tender age of 73. At one time I was driving 40,000 miles a year, half of which at night. Now I average 3,000 a year and try to avoid nights at all cost. My night vision is poor, particularly peripheral vision. I used to be long drives but now I don’t miss them.