British Speedway Forum
Mimmo

Driving After Dark

Don't feel bad gentlemen, I've seen 20 and 30 somethings with 20/20 vision driving like ars@holes

• Like 5

Actually, all this business is just some busybodies (who, of course, know what is best for the lower orders) being silly as usual. I am 76, and will be taking my caravan to away matches, Redcar, Plymouth and Poole, Berwick and Newcastle and so on. I have always had good night vision and still have.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Actually, all this business is just some busybodies (who, of course, know what is best for the lower orders) being silly as usual. I am 76, and will be taking my caravan to away matches, Redcar, Plymouth and Poole, Berwick and Newcastle and so on. I have always had good night vision and still have.

Well good luck to you, many of us aren't so fortunate.

15 minutes ago, *JJ said:

It’s not some busybodies being silly . If you look at the reasons it appears that while accident ratios in most age groups have remained stable , their has been a sharp increase fatal accidents to over 70 age group drivers in recent years. If your health and nigh vision are ok you have nothing to worry about but it would be foolish not to bear in mind that our faculties deteriorate as we get older.

5 hours ago, ch958 said:

Don't feel bad gentlemen, I've seen 20 and 30 somethings with 20/20 vision driving like ars@holes

My health and night vision is fine. I preferred driving at night rather than during the daytime.

My concentration levels are probably reduced by about 10% though, and to me anyway, that is a lot.

Therefore - time to call it a day.

This reply is prompted by ch958's comment. With all those 'folk' driving as they do these days, the last thing you need is someone with a reduced concentration on the roads.

• Like 1

Yes back when I used to travel all over the country folllowing speedway it would often require travelling back in the dark. Thought nothing of it in those days but no way would I consider it now!

• Like 1

So it appears by reading all your interesting comments, of which many feel its right for them to stop driving in the dark, just confirms what I thought when I opened this topic, it would have an adverse affect on our sport, as you'd presumably be no longer able to attend, unless you're lucky enough to have someone that could offer you transport.

I'm one of the lucky ones if you like, where I find night time driving less distracting than in daylight, when you might be blinded by the sun, or looking at various things as you drive past them, and as I have an annual eye test, which should be mandatory as a couple of you have said, plus annual diabetic eye screening, I consider myself to be safe on the road at night.

Living in the country as I do, I'm extra wary due to the deer that appear from nowhere at night, so I'm also ultra vigilant, and ready for any emergency braking.  I also have to make a lot of 4-hour round trips to hospital in the dark, so that my sick wife can undergo treatment she can't manage without.

But my reasons for starting this topic in the first case, weren't so that people could start saying "I stopped driving because.......", it was purely to express my worry as to how clubs would survive if those of a certain age could no longer attend due to their age, because it is the aged group to a large extent, that attend, or do voluntary work at stadiums.     

• Like 1

In the free world of the United Kingdom, I would like to think that people have a choice when or not to drive  their vehicle.   Age certainly isn't the only issue as to whether you should be driving at night.

By all means introduce a compulsory eyesght test for ALL drivers periodically , rather than the present honesty system, but a blanket ban based on age alone is surely not justified. (and probably illegal under "human rights" legislation !!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

So it appears by reading all your interesting comments, of which many feel its right for them to stop driving in the dark, just confirms what I thought when I opened this topic, it would have an adverse affect on our sport, as you'd presumably be no longer able to attend, unless you're lucky enough to have someone that could offer you transport.

Interesting that (and I have an interest) up to now nobody has mentioned public transport.

Such a ban (although not something I would agree with) should not mean the end, for those affected, in attending any events during non daylight hours.  However, I would imagine that the vast majority of people could not even contemplate using public transport at night as an alternative. 'Could not' being the operative words.

I'd suggest that if such a ban was in place the standard, frequency, reliability and safety of public transport would have to increase dramatically to avoid making a vast section of the public prisoners in there own homes......     ......getting good at that this government.

PS I drove home in the dark last week without putting my lights on like a total moron.  I'm 48. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

I'm one of the lucky ones if you like, where I find night time driving less distracting than in daylight, when you might be blinded by the sun, or looking at various things as you drive past them, and as I have an annual eye test, which should be mandatory as a couple of you have said, plus annual diabetic eye screening, I consider myself to be safe on the road at night.

Living in the country as I do, I'm extra wary due to the deer that appear from nowhere at night, so I'm also ultra vigilant, and ready for any emergency braking.  I also have to make a lot of 4-hour round trips to hospital in the dark, so that my sick wife can undergo treatment she can't manage without.

But my reasons for starting this topic in the first case, weren't so that people could start saying "I stopped driving because.......", it was purely to express my worry as to how clubs would survive if those of a certain age could no longer attend due to their age, because it is the aged group to a large extent, that attend, or do voluntary work at stadiums.     

I think, sadly, the survival of speedway clubs, goes a lot further than some speedway supporters not being able to attend meetings, due to driving in the dark. :cry:

26 minutes ago, enotian said:

Interesting that (and I have an interest) up to now nobody has mentioned public transport.

Such a ban (although not something I would agree with) should not mean the end, for those affected, in attending any events during non daylight hours.  However, I would imagine that the vast majority of people could not even contemplate using public transport at night as an alternative. 'Could not' being the operative words.

I'd suggest that if such a ban was in place the standard, frequency, reliability and safety of public transport would have to increase dramatically to avoid making a vast section of the public prisoners in there own homes......     ......getting good at that this government.

PS I drove home in the dark last week without putting my lights on like a total moron.  I'm 48. 

As far as speedway and my long journey to hospital, public transport wouldn't be an option, as the nearest bus stop is miles from the stadium, and even if fit enough, I don't think many elderly people would feel safe walking that far in the dark in this day and age. 

Irrespective of age I think that there are dangers caused by ridiculously bright headlights  now being permitted especially in new tall SUV type vehicles bearing down on us mere mortals in our Polos etc. 

• Like 4

On 3/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, steve roberts said:

Regular eye tests should be the criteria regardless of age.

I think that is absolutely right, I spend the majority of my working life driving in the dark and it is very clear that many drivers struggle to see where they are going.

Then again I would say that regular testing of all drivers should be compulsory too. Not like the standard driving test with it's ridiculous emphasis on stuff that isn't very important but just a quick round the block with an emergency stop thrown in and a few questions(first one should be what lane do you use on the motorway if you aren't overtaking!) to make sure that drivers have the basic abilities and reactions to be reasonably safe.

My grandfather was still an excellent driver at 85 and I have an uncle of 80 who still drives his camper all over mainland Europe every year perfectly well. On the other hand my mother at 61 was dying of cancer and driving around full of morphine until I stopped her as the doctors wouldn't and I have a 19 year old niece who passed her test 3rd time but shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I think that is absolutely right, I spend the majority of my working life driving in the dark and it is very clear that many drivers struggle to see where they are going.

Then again I would say that regular testing of all drivers should be compulsory too. Not like the standard driving test with it's ridiculous emphasis on stuff that isn't very important but just a quick round the block with an emergency stop thrown in and a few questions(first one should be what lane do you use on the motorway if you aren't overtaking!) to make sure that drivers have the basic abilities and reactions to be reasonably safe.

My grandfather was still an excellent driver at 85 and I have an uncle of 80 who still drives his camper all over mainland Europe every year perfectly well. On the other hand my mother at 61 was dying of cancer and driving around full of morphine until I stopped her as the doctors wouldn't and I have a 19 year old niece who passed her test 3rd time but shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car.

Absolutely agree! Passing a driving test is just the beginning...the real test is the expertise one accumulates thru' driving in varying circumstances/situations and is a forever ongoing exercise. Some people seem to think that by passing a test they suddenly become fully competent at driving. Personally I think that people who pass their test should be made to place a provisional "P" plate on their car (voluntary as things stand I believe) during the first year (?) and if they fail to comply with the basic skills required (exceeding the speed limit for example) should be made to sit another test.

There's too many idiots out there of all ages...male and female.

Edited by steve roberts

20 hours ago, E I Addio said:

It’s not some busybodies being silly . If you look at the reasons it appears that while accident ratios in most age groups have remained stable , their has been a sharp increase fatal accidents to over 70 age group drivers in recent years. If your health and nigh vision are ok you have nothing to worry about but it would be foolish not to bear in mind that our faculties deteriorate as we get older.

I do bear this in mind, and always stop for a break half way along a journey. As for accidents: most are caused by young men under 25!