British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Ronnie Moore Golden helmet

I'm just in the process of sorting out my photo collection. I've got a snap of Ronnie Moore wearing the golden helmet in his second spell circa 1969 - 72. Can any kind soul tell me the likely date of this. I can't face the task of trawling through my programmes for the answer!

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake

Ronnie defeated Pete Smith in 1971 before losing it to Ray Wilson?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Ronnie defeated Pete Smith in 1971 before losing it to Ray Wilson?

Was that his only attempt at the Helmet Steve. Judging by his leathers, i thought this photo might be a year or so earlier.

14 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Was that his only attempt at the Helmet Steve. Judging by his leathers, i thought this photo might be a year or so earlier.

He took it off Richard May in 1971 on 15 July

• Like 2

Ronnie Moore’s defeat of Pete Smith was at Poole on 21st July 1971. He had defeated the previous holder, Richard May of Reading,  the previous week to become the new holder. He lost the Helmet at Leicester on the 27th July to Ray Wilson. Wimbledon were not involved in any Golden Helmet match races after that. Trevor Hedge, earlier in the season, had been beaten by the then holder Ole Olsen at Monmore. Coincidentally, Olsen lost the Helmet by default through injury; the same method and reason he regained it at the season’s end.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I've checked the comprehensive list that appeared in "Backtrack" some years ago and it appears that was the only occasion that Ronnie held the helmet during the period 1970-72.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I've checked the comprehensive list that appeared in "Backtrack" some years ago and it appears that was the only occasion that Ronnie held the helmet during the period 1970-72.

Thanks a lot. 1971 it is.

Sadly it seems the speedway champions site that had all the golden helmet tesults is no longer online and the guy who ran it doesn’t seem to be here any more

12 hours ago, iris123 said:

Sadly it seems the speedway champions site that had all the golden helmet tesults is no longer online and the guy who ran it doesn’t seem to be here any more

I'd looked for it recently, and couldn't find it. Pity, that was a valuable resource...

• Like 1

The provincial League's equivalent to the Golden Helmet was the Silver Sash. The formula was simple. When the holder of the Sash rode in a meeting the opposing team's top scorer on the night would race him for the Sash after the main event. It added a bit of interest to the second halves which could otherwise be quite tedious.

Guest compost

I took, slightly blurred, screen dumps of the pre-65 era Bronze and Silver helmet pages.  PM me if they can help.

I didn't bother with the post 64 pages as the information was available in the book 'The complete History of the British League' by Peter Oakes (and didn't give date or venue details). In any case, if you look at each season results file on the researcher website you can find the individual race details though it does mean looking at each years file in turn.

Cheers