British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Will Covid 'passports' be needed to attend speedway meetings

With the news today, that Covid 'passports' will be needed to attend the upcoming sporting test events. Will something similar be required to gain entry to speedway stadiums from May 17th.

14 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

With the news today, that Covid 'passports' will be needed to attend the upcoming sporting test events. Will something similar be required to gain entry to speedway stadiums from May 17th.

Leicester have suggested that only prepaid tickets will be accepted for entry but this is not yet definite.

15 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

how would it be enforced??  I can't see your standard Speedway promotion having access to a government vaccine passport database.

alternatively are they going to insist on airport customs style checks to get into stadiums???  causing queues which are no doubt not distanced.  Imagine you've bought your ticket in advance then forget your passport (or don't have one) who turns you away?  Do you get a refund? Or do they just let you in.

13 minutes ago, enotian said:

how would it be enforced??  I can't see your standard Speedway promotion having access to a government vaccine passport database.

alternatively are they going to insist on airport customs style checks to get into stadiums???  causing queues which are no doubt not distanced.  Imagine you've bought your ticket in advance then forget your passport (or don't have one) who turns you away?  Do you get a refund? Or do they just let you in.

I get what you are saying, but there is talk of them being needed at pubs. Speedway attendances are potentially far bigger. It could be a system very similar to the NHS app. This was used at the majority of non league football matches i attended, up until the present lockdown.

You're talking like they'll be 50,000 at speedway meetings. Yes, anything that has spectators will be expected to require a Covid Passport. 

Getting people through the turnstiles should be no slower than previous though. 

Even before you still had the old prats that had nothing prepared to enter until they reached the box office, then fumbled around for 10 minutes finding cash. 

• Confused 1

I think you're all missing the point a bit.

Covid Passports are being tested for "large scale events" Crowds of 10-20,000 or more. They are an option being considered as an interim measure. 

Government have acknowledged that the technology is unlikely to be available before Autumn.

I think they are aiming more at start of 2021/2022 soccer season in August. More likely for Villa / Albion / Blues / Wolves than Solihull Moors / Kidderminster Harriers and no League Clubs.

Covid Passports may replace SOCIAL DISTANCING that is what will limit Crowds and make them all Ticket initially. Stadium Capacity will be calculated on Social Distancing and space available outside and inside until mid summer at least.

All Sports Clubs will have to know how many are there and not over the limit.

As for Pubs, many will end up letting in only regulars or via Track and Trace like we all used last summer.

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I get what you are saying, but there is talk of them being needed at pubs. Speedway attendances are potentially far bigger. It could be a system very similar to the NHS app. This was used at the majority of non league football matches i attended, up until the present lockdown.

so not only do you have to have had a vaccine but you also need a smartphone!!! incredible really but I'm not informed enough to comment with authority.

i wouldn't have thought having had a vaccine makes a person less likely to transmit the virus, they are just (hopefully) immune to becoming ill from it. so if the unvaccinated public are now those less likely to become ill from it anyway what difference does it make?  I'm not sure who we're protecting now???

sounds like the young people in this country are being handed a rough deal.  they're the one's who've put their lives on hold to protect the elderly and NHS, they're the ones who'll have to pay for all this (in one way or another).

imagine if the strategy a year ago had been only the old and vulnerable had to be isolated, for their own safety.  not sure exclusion of a section of the community would have been viewed acceptable then.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, enotian said:

so not only do you have to have had a vaccine but you also need a smartphone!!! incredible really but I'm not informed enough to comment with authority.

i wouldn't have thought having had a vaccine makes a person less likely to transmit the virus, they are just (hopefully) immune to becoming ill from it. so if the unvaccinated public are now those less likely to become ill from it anyway what difference does it make?  I'm not sure who we're protecting now???

sounds like the young people in this country are being handed a rough deal.  they're the one's who've put their lives on hold to protect the elderly and NHS, they're the ones who'll have to pay for all this (in one way or another).

imagine if the strategy a year ago had been only the old and vulnerable had to be isolated, for their own safety.  not sure exclusion of a section of the community would have been viewed acceptable then.

Hardly any young people attend speedway, so the vast majority should have some protection anyway. These things change on a regular basis, come May 17th things should be a lot clearer.

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

Hardly any young people attend speedway, so the vast majority should have some protection anyway. These things change on a regular basis, come May 17th things should be a lot clearer.

fair point.

as it stands I wouldn't be able to attend as I've not been offered a vaccine.  but it would mean I couldn't take my father who has had his.

but I was talking more generally.

I'm sure pub owners will be delighted to open their establishment just for the vaccinated whilst the young people who spend more money are barred. Who is going to pay these businesses the resulting shortfall?

Starting to feel like some kind of Black Mirror dystopian society in which you only get access to recreation depending upon how much tax you've paid in your lifetime.  

• Like 1

Good living to be make in “fake Covid passport line” no doubt .Vitually impossible to police IMO.No young people at meetings this season then!!!!

Edited by Fromafar

If you have had a jab, you already have a passport. It is the card they give you!

4 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

If you have had a jab, you already have a passport. It is the card they give you!

Don't forget the sticker!

I'm currently recovering so would have some natural immunity. I'm not allowed to have the jab yet following my positive status

You don't get a card or sticker to confirm the above so that's me not allowed to go.....

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Good living to be make in “fake Covid passport line” no doubt .Vitually impossible to police IMO.No young people at meetings this season then!!!!

Seems all this stuff is available on darknet 

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Don't forget the sticker!

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I have had a jab but did not get a card or sticker.!!

• Like 1