British Speedway Forum
chunky

Quick Update...

I didn't know if this was the thread where to do this, but this is where he was most active...

It was a few months ago when our well-known speedway historian from the South London Press, John Hyam (gustix) seemed to fade from the social media scene. You may recall how he departed Facebook, and was desperate to close his account and remove all traces of activity. He also ceased posting on the BSF.

Obviously, it can be worrying when people disappear from view, particularly when they are of advancing years.

However, it seems that the old chap is doing well, and is active on his Facebook groups. :t:

Just wanted to let you all know...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chunky said:

I didn't know if this was the thread where to do this, but this is where he was most active...

It was a few months ago when our well-known speedway historian from the South London Press, John Hyam (gustix) seemed to fade from the social media scene. You may recall how he departed Facebook, and was desperate to close his account and remove all traces of activity. He also ceased posting on the BSF.

Obviously, it can be worrying when people disappear from view, particularly when they are of advancing years.

However, it seems that the old chap is doing well, and is active on his Facebook groups. :t:

Just wanted to let you all know...

He's been in touch with me via email just recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

He's been in touch with me via email just recently.

Lucky you! He bloody ignores me...

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, chunky said:

Lucky you! He bloody ignores me...

Can't say as I blame him as you are on his back whenever he Posts on here.

Edited by The White Knight
omitted word.
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Not true. I get on his back when he posts crap on here, and acts like an idiot.

I am one of the few who have actually stated that he is (or should be) a valuable member of the forum, and whenever he has needed assistance (often with technology), I have been one of the first to jump in and help.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The White Knight said:

I thought that too. The forum became a playground for and controlled by bullies. Because of this, I guess John Hyam lost the passion to post on a sport he's loved for decades. Sad really. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I thought that too. The forum became a playground for and controlled by bullies. Because of this, I guess John Hyam lost the passion to post on a sport he's loved for decades. Sad really. 

You've never said a truer word moxey63 - and it is a disgrace. The way someone in their high eighties was treated on this Forum was totally wrong. I used to enjoy most of John's Posts.

Anyhow, that is why I don't bother to Post much these days.

It's nice to know I am not alone.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

You've never said a truer word moxey63 - and it is a disgrace. The way someone in their high eighties was treated on this Forum was totally wrong. I used to enjoy most of John's Posts.

Anyhow, that is why I don't bother to Post much these days.

It's nice to know I am not alone.

Thanks, White Knight. 

I felt sorry for the way some treated John as if he was some doddering old fool whose opinion counted for little. I fully understand why he felt enough was enough. God forbid you to have a different opinion than some of those on here. Like you, I also no longer post as much as before.  In fact, I forget this forum even exists. Best let the people with the same opinions keep it going. Not worth the hassle to disagree with them and have the gang surrounding you.  I am just surprised they are shocked Mr Hyam doesn't reply to their emails! Think that says it all. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

and I another one who doe not post, not done for a few months, in fact today is the first time I have spent more then a couple minutes, and that was the moto gp section.

Not worth the hassle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Thanks, White Knight. 

I felt sorry for the way some treated John as if he was some doddering old fool whose opinion counted for little. I fully understand why he felt enough was enough. God forbid you to have a different opinion than some of those on here. Like you, I also no longer post as much as before.  In fact, I forget this forum even exists. Best let the people with the same opinions keep it going. Not worth the hassle to disagree with them and have the gang surrounding you.  I am just surprised they are shocked Mr Hyam doesn't reply to their emails! Think that says it all. 

This is out of line. By implication you are stating that Chunky  was a bully. That is bollocks. Lots of people had issues with John because of the crap he posted. This includes some of the most respected and mild mannered posters on the forum. Everyone agrees he had the knowledge to offer a huge amount to the forum - just a shame the nonsense posts so heavily outweighed the interesting and informative ones. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

and I another one who doe not post, not done for a few months, in fact today is the first time I have spent more then a couple minutes, and that was the moto gp section.

Not worth the hassle.

That's a shame OFF, always enjoyed your contributions, especially in the year's gone by topics. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

You never cared for me anyway;

1) Because I stand by my opinion (and don't suffer fools gladly)

and 

2) Because you think I "deserted" speedway (even though I put more into it - emotionally and financially - than you do)

Thing is, John and I did have some really good conversations (including PM's), but you never know what personality you were dealing with from day to day.

27 minutes ago, chunky said:

You never cared for me anyway;

1) Because I stand by my opinion (and don't suffer fools gladly)

and 

2) Because you think I "deserted" speedway (even though I put more into it - emotionally and financially - than you do)

Thing is, John and I did have some really good conversations (including PM's), but you never know what personality you were dealing with from day to day.

I am sure John will explain why he left the forum and has disappeared from other social media  - when he replies to your emails. Or you could get Steve Roberts to ask for you.

By the way, I have no problem with you. It was the way you thought you knew me more than I knew myself I didn't care for. When I turned the tables on you and did the same, you had a hissy. 

I don't come on the forum much nowadays. Since tonight's visit, I find I am not alone. Same reasons too.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I am sure John will explain why he left the forum and has disappeared from other social media  - when he replies to your emails.

What I find interesting is that John was DESPERATE to sever all ties with Facebook, and all the speedway groups, and a number of us tried to help him. So, I wonder what happened?

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

When I turned the tables on you and did the same, you had a hissy. 

I never made any accusations like those you levelled against me. THAT is why I had a problem...

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

What I find interesting is that John was DESPERATE to sever all ties with Facebook, and all the speedway groups, and a number of us tried to help him. So, I wonder what happened?

I never made any accusations like those you levelled against me. THAT is why I had a problem...

Steve Roberts contacted John Hyam and got a reply. You also contacted him, but he chose not to converse with you.

I also got sick of your constant jibes why I no longer attend matches (because I don't get in for free) and stopped coming on here. I honestly felt I was being bullied and expect John felt the same.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1