British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Dave Jessup Book

Has anybody bought the recently published book on Dave Jessup and, if so, is it a good read?

careful if you do get it, the cover might fall off

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, stevehone said:

careful if you do get it, the cover might fall off

It's ok, if you put an elastic band around it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cityrebel said:

It's ok, if you put an elastic band around it!

Until you get to the very last chapter, when the band will come adrift and the whole thing fall apart...

13 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Until you get to the very last chapter, when the band will come adrift and the whole thing fall apart...

Must be the one on Wembley World Finals...

All very amusing comments but has anybody actually read the book?

Haven't read it and sorry to say, but I don't think I'll be buying it. Good rider, but not one who ever really got the juices flowing.

The obvious gaps in speedway autobiographies are Ole Olsen and Peter Collins. They would be must-reads. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, falcace said:

Haven't read it and sorry to say, but I don't think I'll be buying it. Good rider, but not one who ever really got the juices flowing.

The obvious gaps in speedway autobiographies are Ole Olsen and Peter Collins. They would be must-reads. 

I had an autobiography (?) of Ole Olsen I recall sometime back during the eighties (?) but obviously didn't cover his whole career either side of the fence.

Just now, steve roberts said:

I had an autobiography (?) of Ole Olsen I recall sometime back during the eighties (?) but obviously didn't cover his whole career either side of the fence.

I have his speedway scrap-book...but there is so much more he could share. It's hard to think of another person who has a life so intertwined with every aspect of the sport. Raw beginner from minnow nation to world-beater, promoter of his own track, national team manager, mentor, track curator, international official. His relationships with Mauger, Nielsen Gundersen, Rickardsson, Ochiltree, Adams...there's a rare old story to tell.

5 minutes ago, falcace said:

I have his speedway scrap-book...but there is so much more he could share. It's hard to think of another person who has a life so intertwined with every aspect of the sport. Raw beginner from minnow nation to world-beater, promoter of his own track, national team manager, mentor, track curator, international official. His relationships with Mauger, Nielsen Gundersen, Rickardsson, Ochiltree, Adams...there's a rare old story to tell.

That's the one.

I saw Dave Jessup in one of his first races in public as a 15 year old in 1968 in a second half at West Ham. He beat Alan Sage, Vic Harding and Barry Thomas. My programme notes say, "won by half a lap". He was immediately signed up for the Hammers for the following season. It was obvious, even from that first race, that he was destined for greater things and he became my "protege". I always followed his career from then on - I just wish I could have advised him on how to look after his bike!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, norbold said:

I saw Dave Jessup in one of his first races in public as a 15 year old in 1968 in a second half at West Ham. He beat Alan Sage, Vic Harding and Barry Thomas. My programme notes say, "won by half a lap". He was immediately signed up for the Hammers for the following season. It was obvious, even from that first race, that he was destined for greater things and he became my "protege". I always followed his career from then on - I just wish I could have advised him on how to look after his bike!

More recently he used to run the spares van at Lakeside and if I remember correctly , Rye House as well. I had the distinct impression that despite his talent he never made a lot of money from speedway and seemed to me to finish up not much better off than he started. 

4 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

More recently he used to run the spares van at Lakeside and if I remember correctly , Rye House as well. I had the distinct impression that despite his talent he never made a lot of money from speedway and seemed to me to finish up not much better off than he started. 

I remember Malcolm Simmons saying that Dave was 'tight' where money was concerned and would do anything to save a few bob!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I remember Malcolm Simmons saying that Dave was 'tight' where money was concerned and would do anything to save a few bob!

Nowt wrong wi' that!