British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Dave Jessup Book

30 minutes ago, chunky said:

Nowt wrong wi' that!

Simmo tells the story when they were out riding trials for fun rather than buy a £2 carbuettor slide Dave chose to bodge a dodgy one together with Araldite hoping it would hold it in place. Apparently the throttle jammed open as it broke and he fell off the bike and broke his leg forcing him to miss the start of the season...all for the sake of buying a ne £2 carbureetor slide!

Edited by steve roberts

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Simmo tells the story when they were out riding trials for fun rather than buy a £2 carbuettor slide Dave chose to bodge a dodgy one together with Araldite hoping it would hold it in place. Apparently the throttle jammed open as it broke and he fell off the bike and broke his leg forcing him to miss the start of the season...all for the sake of buying a ne £2 carbureetor slide!

Sounds about right... Makes you wonder how many of his E/F's could perhaps have been prevented with a little more forethought - and cash.

Just now, chunky said:

Sounds about right... Makes you wonder how many of his E/F's could perhaps have been prevented with a little more forethought - and cash.

...apparently Dave was also 'drill happy' and drilled so many holes into the jubilee clip to make it lighter (?) which subsequently broke during that all important World Final race in 1978!

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

...apparently Dave was also 'drill happy' and drilled so many holes into the jubilee clip to make it lighter (?) which subsequently broke during that all important World Final race in 1978!

So, he could spend money on a drill? Or did he borrow it from someone? :rofl:

• Haha 1

Even though he was the Dons number 1 for a spell, DJ was one rider I never warmed to unfortunately. He never really team rode unlike Simmo who seemed to ride with eyes in the back of his head at times.

Having decided to buy the book I can honestly say that I'm enjoying reading it. There are even listed what riders were earning per ride during the World Championship Meetings early 1980's.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 9:45 AM, falcace said:

Haven't read it and sorry to say, but I don't think I'll be buying it. Good rider, but not one who ever really got the juices flowing.

The obvious gaps in speedway autobiographies are Ole Olsen and Peter Collins. They would be must-reads. 

PC and ourselves at Retro Speedway are in very advanced discussions about us publishing his autobiography and we look forward to working with him on this and another exciting project. Watch this space...

• Like 7

On 4/12/2021 at 5:49 PM, prodons said:

Even though he was the Dons number 1 for a spell, DJ was one rider I never warmed to unfortunately. He never really team rode unlike Simmo who seemed to ride with eyes in the back of his head at times.

The same for me prodons he was a terrific world class rider  but for for me i was never a fan  respected him of course.Those couple of years with Lee at Lynn often Michael ( who was branded by some as being unprofessional often bailed him out  him out lending him  stuff.) 

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Just read it on Kindle. Slightly disappointing read imo, I'd say it is probably for  DJ fans only - lots of year by year detail, but little real insight into the person rather than the rider, and no real analysis of what caused the regular engine failures at key moments. One of the duller speedway biographies. 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 6:11 PM, TonyMac said:

PC and ourselves at Retro Speedway are in very advanced discussions about us publishing his autobiography and we look forward to working with him on this and another exciting project. Watch this space...

OLE has an autobiography but not surprisingly it was written by a Danish journalist and is in his native language.

I found Ove Fundin Speedway Superstar a great read, also Wiggy - Simon Wigg in his own words, and Chris Morton - Until The Can Ran Out.

• Like 1

I would like to read Dave Mortons book - anyone want to sell or swop for either 1) Ivan Mauger-The Man Behind The Myth   or  2) Barry Briggs-Wembley and Beyond, My Incredible Journey (and epic 486 pages).

For me to buy the book must be in good condition.   Swops would need to be in as good condition as mine - which are very good. Barry Briggs is an ex-library book and has protective cover. No folded corners in either. Ivan Mauger book has some great colour glossy photos.

Edited by OveFundinFan

9 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I would like to read Dave Mortons book - anyone want to sell or swop for either 1) Ivan Mauger-The Man Behind The Myth   or  2) Barry Briggs-Wembley and Beyond, My Incredible Journey (and epic 486 pages).

A very good read...good luck in attempting to secure a copy.

• Thanks 1