British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
salty

Peter Adams in the Star last week

18 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Jan Verner and Ian Gledhill also rode at reserve. 

18 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Not sure that's correct. He may only have been used after Penhall retired, but not as a replacement for Penhall...pretty sure they used R/R to cover Bruce and Wiggy at reserve in their final match at hyde rd (not certain if that was in the BL or the KO cup)

Aye, Gledhill was a reserve at the start of the season but struggled and was replaced by Verner half way through. The other reserve at the beginning was Reid but he got injured early on and was covered by the aforementioned Jackson, Barratt etc until he recovered. Joe Owen (the declared number 8) was used just once to replace Penhall early in the season. 

Checked what few programmes I have after Penhall's leaving and you're correct re him being covered by R/R - if I remember right Cradley had a bit of a battle to get the facility. I'm guessing Wigg was only used sparingly as they didn't want him to jigger his average for 1983?

4 hours ago, salty said:

Aye, Gledhill was a reserve at the start of the season but struggled and was replaced by Verner half way through. The other reserve at the beginning was Reid but he got injured early on and was covered by the aforementioned Jackson, Barratt etc until he recovered. Joe Owen (the declared number 8) was used just once to replace Penhall early in the season. 

Checked what few programmes I have after Penhall's leaving and you're correct re him being covered by R/R - if I remember right Cradley had a bit of a battle to get the facility. I'm guessing Wigg was only used sparingly as they didn't want him to jigger his average for 1983?

Yes we got Gledhill at Oxford soon after (as Cradley's sister track) and he proved to be a big disappointment after once being somewhat of a Cowley track expert...he may well have got the track record when riding for Mildenhall?

On 4/9/2021 at 10:03 AM, moxey63 said:

Sixteen-year-old Andy Smith was also given a few appearances for the Aces.

I know there was a lot of talk about him, and I went over to Hackney that winter for a junior match against the Aces just to see him. I wasn't sure how much senior action he'd had at that point.

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes we got Gledhill at Oxford soon after (as Cradley's sister track) and he proved to be a big disappointment after once being somewhat of a Cowley track expert...he may well have got the track record when riding for Mildenhall?

While checking Ian's record I didn't realise that he passed away in 2015?