British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AndyO

Concrete Starting Grid

Apologies as I suspect that this has been brought up before however I am aware that 'hard surface' starting grids have been used in the past which would seem to get around the interminable 'gardening' before each race - anyone know why they did not catch on?

33 minutes ago, AndyO said:

Apologies as I suspect that this has been brought up before however I am aware that 'hard surface' starting grids have been used in the past which would seem to get around the interminable 'gardening' before each race - anyone know why they did not catch on?

I'm not really sure but can only assume that the sudden grip generated when passing over the concrete section when riders were circumnavigating the track caused handling issues?

• Like 1

That would make sense I guess... have to say that the faffing around before each race is probably the single most annoying thing for me. Personally I didn't mind the riders pushing the tapes and trying to get a roller as it adds something but the re-starts because someone moves fractionally or manages to anticipate the start are really frustrating..

• Like 1

I remember tarmac starting grids and do not recall any probs, for that matter I do not recall "gardening" at the start ever being a problem  in those days

• Like 1

With my very limited experience riding a speedway bike (Olle Nygren Training School) I always remember the deep grooves presumeably made by the spinning back wheel "biting" the track on the start line. It certainly created wheel wobble as I rode over that part of the track each time I passed over it...not at any great speed I have to add!

17 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I remember tarmac starting grids and do not recall any probs, for that matter I do not recall "gardening" at the start ever being a problem  in those days

My first 'hero' Garry Middleton always used to make a great deal digging his heels into the track as he prepared himself for each race. His favourite trick was once the green light came on was to roll into the tapes and often the rider next to him would charge thru' the tapes and being excluded for his troubles!

14 hours ago, steve roberts said:

My first 'hero' Garry Middleton always used to make a great deal digging his heels into the track as he prepared himself for each race. His favourite trick was once the green light came on was to roll into the tapes and often the rider next to him would charge thru' the tapes and being excluded for his troubles!

All part of the game in my view, have to say if I were a ref I would take a certain amount of pleasure in letting the tapes go just as the rollers were pulling back from the tapes!

• Like 1