Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

World Snooker prediction competition 2021

11 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy

Has to be the "Jester from Leicester"

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

It’s a long final, and the two contestants will make it long, though I want Murphy to win, I think Selby will wear him down.

so, my selection to win the final is SELBY.

Lucifer Sam, your choice what you do, but why not play the game and select who you think will win.                  
After reading your comment, my initial thought was...... I won’t select either Murphy or Selby.......that would put you in Queer Street.  But then I thought...... it’s only a game.

Hi OveFundinFun, I think you've taken my comment the wrong way, which was light-hearted. It's kind of become the tradition for the top two to go different ways in the final, especially if it keeps the top of the competition alive for the final. After all, it's a fun comp, so it's nice not knowing the winner until the final is done and dusted.  June01 and I used to play this comp with just one or two others (it started on another forum) and we always gave the person at the top the privilege of first choice for the final, and then the other would go the other way.

Apart from anything else, it stops me having to worry about my prediction for the final. ;)  From a personal viewpoint, my favourite player of the two is Selby - I'm never been a Murphy fan for some reason.  

Ever since he lost the semi to O'Sullivan last year and looked massively hacked off about it, I said Selby will come back and win it the next year (i.e. now). But the way Murphy played yesterday was almost unbeatable. I've too got a feeling that Selby might wear Murphy down, although that's not easy when Murphy is potting balls from all over the table plus Murphy doesn't mind getting involved in a tactical battle.  

You don't need a colour TV to watch snooker like that. Grey, or what? If that's how to win the WC, you can keep it.

I've watched this avidly since 1979 when Terry Griffiths beat Dennis Taylor and that wasn't a classic. But we didn't know any better then. The only time I completely zoned out on the final was when Peter Ebdon won it. But this. I hope the afternoon session goes well tomorrow.

And please, someone pass on to Shaun the comments that Ronnie made after the session tonight. To summarise, "Don't play that way!".

14 hours ago, False dawn said:

You don't need a colour TV to watch snooker like that. Grey, or what? If that's how to win the WC, you can keep it.

I've watched this avidly since 1979 when Terry Griffiths beat Dennis Taylor and that wasn't a classic. But we didn't know any better then. The only time I completely zoned out on the final was when Peter Ebdon won it. But this. I hope the afternoon session goes well tomorrow.

And please, someone pass on to Shaun the comments that Ronnie made after the session tonight. To summarise, "Don't play that way!".

I quite like watching Selby - maybe the best tactical player that Snooker has ever seen. He plays it like chess.  I don't see him as a negative player either - as soon as there's a pot on, he'll take it and clear the balls.

But, yeah, Murphy was trying to play Selby the wrong way yesterday. He stopped going for the long pots he was banging in against Kyren Wilson.

16 hours ago, False dawn said:

It’s the world championship, it’s unique, from a small crowd (less the 1000 seats) and they very much on top of the players, to it being 35 frames long (max), the winner needs 18 frames, no other competition final is that long. Being speedway fans we used to 1 minute all action races. Snooker world championship is a long and different game. I love trying to get into the mind of the players, how they thinking. Beats me most of the time to do that, but it is interesting. Selby seems to be the master of the long game. Trump is my favourite,  but Murphy rates highly with me.

Edited by OveFundinFan

Selby booed as he entered the arena tonight

41 minutes ago, MattB said:

Selby booed as he entered the arena tonight

Was just a few idiots by the sound of it.  Probably Ronnie fans - there's no love lost between those two players. 

Murphy hasn't done a lot wrong, but just can't stay on the table long enough.  Been a masterclass from Selby

• Like 1

Well, that final really got going on the second day. Murphy battled well, but Selby is probably the best match-player that snooker has ever seen.  Well deserved fourth championship - can he reach Hendry's seven?

And well done OveFundinFan on winning the prediction competition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

And well done OveFundinFan on winning the prediction competition. 

More importantly, who came second? :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, norbold said:

More importantly, who came second? :D

I think you know that you finished as first loser ;)

• Like 1

Final standings:

1 OveFundinFan 47
2 Norbold 39
3 Tintin 38
4 Lucifer Sam 37
5 Scott0311 35
6 June01 33
7 False Dawn 31
8 MickTheMuppet 28
9 BigCatDiary 13 (1 round only)

Murphy played exceptionally well throughout the championship.  Hope he can keep up that form.  Selby got that 3-4 game lead Sunday and managed to keep it, concistancy won the day for him. He played some amazing shots.

Back now to giving my support to Trump.

Thankyou LSam for organising our little game.

• Like 1