British Speedway Forum
bill94d

Somerset gone?

Has anyone any information on the snippet I saw in the press about the Hancocks selling land by the Oak Tree that would (or might) render a return of speedway there nigh on impossible?

Judging by the reaction of the owner/promoter to the questions posed by the speedway star reporter I'd say there's every right to be very concerned indeed 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bill94d said:

Has anyone any information on the snippet I saw in the press about the Hancocks selling land by the Oak Tree that would (or might) render a return of speedway there nigh on impossible?

Why would it mean the end of speedway?

4 hours ago, sugarray said:

Why would it mean the end of speedway?

Maybe bill can make alot more money selling the land instead of losing money running speedway.  Having known the family for a long time, I say good luck to them which ever way they go. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was in the area on Thursday and went to have a nosey. I drove past and saw the land around the arena was being ripped up. The arena is still there but if speedway was to continue i don't know where the parking would be. Also sign's for the clubhouse have been taken down. I think this is the end for Somerset speedway and the reason of the uncertainty of covid was just a cover. Saying that if you were in the Hancocks shoes and offered big bucks for the land what would you do?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I was in the area on Thursday and went to have a nosey. I drove past and saw the land around the arena was being ripped up. The arena is still there but if speedway was to continue i don't know where the parking would be. Also sign's for the clubhouse have been taken down. I think this is the end for Somerset speedway and the reason of the uncertainty of covid was just a cover. Saying that if you were in the Hancocks shoes and offered big bucks for the land what would you do?

Looks likely to me

Hopefully an announcement will be forthcoming shortly as the Somerset fans deserve that at the very least 

• Like 3

If the reports of Travelodge, Fast Food restaurant and Costa Coffee being added to the site that could be good for Speedway but not so sure about how the car dealership and offices will fit in.

It has to remembered that quite a few stadiums are in industrial areas with Leicester,Scunthorpe, Redcar and Wolverhampton being prime examples 

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

So, contrary to some, I am right to question the future of the Rebels?

It has been stated the clubhouse has been sold and the new owners operate a different kind of business, losing that corporate facility within the stadium would make it very difficult to accommodate potential sponsors on race day, it does appear businesses are closing in on the Oak Tree Arena, i really hope the speedway can continue, great track and i always enjoy my visits there.

Any Speedway track closing is another nail in the coffin.

It is even more tragic when the track produces high quality racing as does Somerset. I used to go on the the pairs evening before Cardiff... then went home as after a few visits, Cardiff did not have enough appeal for me

3 days now and no sign of an announcement from the management.

If there's nothing to worry about why not issue a simple statement 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, noaksey said:

3 days now and no sign of an announcement from the management.

If there's nothing to worry about why not issue a simple statement 

Surely they don't need to make any statement until the 2021 AGM requires all clubs to give their intention to run in 2022?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Surely they don't need to make any statement until the 2021 AGM requires all clubs to give their intention to run in 2022?!

Of course not but given the nature of the article in the speedway star I'd have thought a simple statement saying "the speedway is unaffected by the recent changes at and around the OTA and we very much hope to be back racing in 2022" would be good PR unless of course....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

It would be good manners towards the Rebels faithful, the Oaktree is a fantastic track, the facilities "clubhouse" & toilets were better than most, car parking brilliant & the team always competitive. I think the Hancocks are good people but are lacking in P.R. skills.

I beginning to think no news is bad news?

• Like 3