British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Kings Lynn vs Ipswich Witches May 17th 7.30pm

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Well, once again despite all the hype about reducing costs by cutting points limits , one by one the  "premiership" clubs are upping their admission prices. The ever ageing dwindling band of  "diehards" will surely turn up, but if the aim is to attract new supporters to the sport , they are going a funny way about it. 

six green bottles sitting on the wall, six green bottles sitting on the wall.......

How many green bottles will be sitting on the wall in 2022?

And many last year wouldnt have actually lost money...

Or at least will have lost a lot less than usual...

With the vastly reduced level on show it surely can't cost the same? (And if it does then they are crackers to pay lesser riders the same money, but "you never know"!!

And even with the capacity reductions, most will comfortably be able to get their usual average crowd in I would think so no loss of revenue there for many..

Given the health concerns of re joining 'society' for many of their demographic fan base, not sure a price increase is wise to be honest.. 

Edit: and this year they get TV money too...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Well, once again despite all the hype about reducing costs by cutting points limits , one by one the  "premiership" clubs are upping their admission prices. The ever ageing dwindling band of  "diehards" will surely turn up, but if the aim is to attract new supporters to the sport , they are going a funny way about it. 

Explain?? 

Any new fan wouldn't know anything about 'value for money', who rider's are, rapid decline of standards etc etc. 

What Speedway is doing wrong is not making knowledgeable ex-fans hungry to return. 

Surely as a 'collective' there could be a decent marketing campaign for the whole of British Speedway. For relatively little money, adverts & pop-ups on Youtube would be a start. 

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Explain?? 

Any new fan wouldn't know anything about 'value for money', who rider's are, rapid decline of standards etc etc. 

What Speedway is doing wrong is not making knowledgeable ex-fans hungry to return. 

Surely as a 'collective' there could be a decent marketing campaign for the whole of British Speedway. For relatively little money, adverts & pop-ups on Youtube would be a start. 

Any new fans ? I think over the years it’s been obvious 0% effort been made to attract new fans and 0% effort to listen to and keep existing fans happy . You only have to look at the age group of speedway fans to see new fans isn’t happening . So a marketing campaign very unlikely to happen but I agree that definitely it should happen. 

As for value for money and dropping quality standards year on year my take on admission prices £15 would be fair . To keep lowering standards and keep putting prices up that can’t be right . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Haza said:

Any new fans ? I think over the years it’s been obvious 0% effort been made to attract new fans and 0% effort to listen to and keep existing fans happy . You only have to look at the age group of speedway fans to see new fans isn’t happening . So a marketing campaign very unlikely to happen but I agree that definitely it should happen. 

As for value for money and dropping quality standards year on year my take on admission prices £15 would be fair . To keep lowering standards and keep putting prices up that can’t be right . 

Correct, Speedway in the UK is dead. It's getting to the point of just being an amateur sport.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Correct, Speedway in the UK is dead. It's getting to the point of just being an amateur sport.

With people like you taking every opportunity to knock British speedway, it’s little wonder it’s dying on its feet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mrss said:

With people like you taking every opportunity to knock British speedway, it’s little wonder it’s dying on its feet.

So it's my fault British Speedway's failing :rofl:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrss said:

But someone knocking it on a forum where only speedway fans are, is not the reason it's on its behind. Lets be honest,, how many people now don't go because what a poster has put? 

Belle vue charging £20 to stand up for what is in reality is a doubling up  championship side with  no big name riders. 

IMO not a good decision to increase prices

advertising within speedway has been a problem for many years, they preach to the converted, speedway star etc, the only times i've seen proper advertising was when Jonathan Chapman had the trailer/bikes taken around the area including the high street, also attended various events around town, and also had the tie up with the study centre to try to encourage kids and their family. i know Jonathan wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he tried.

the other advertising i've seen is more recent with plenty of adverts for the Isle of Wight around the island, including flyers at the main beaches.

the lack of advertising is certainly not a new phenomenon, but with the number of people around the country that have never heard of the sport, or answer when you talk about it that they used to go and is it still running, it's very worrying.

it seems that too much is relied on the hard core support, and seeing the age of that hard core support it's got to be worrying.

even when i took pictures at speedway i would get them online for people to see, it's all got to be an advert for the sport, but in later years even that was restricted as clubs wanted to only put something out when they decide. to me that was a poor decision that denied those that couldn't make it to a meeting, or stopped people seeing something that might make them want to visit.

• Like 1

Such a shame because as a Sport the excitement level is immense.  You know 15 times you have something special about to happen.  It’s like having sex 15 times a night but it only lasting a minute.

Nothing new there then Ippo fans :D

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, DBP said:

Belle vue charging £20 to stand up for what is in reality is a doubling up  championship side with  no big name riders. 

The NSS is the one place I could stomach paying twenty quid regularly. 

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

advertising within speedway has been a problem for many years, they preach to the converted, speedway star etc, the only times i've seen proper advertising was when Jonathan Chapman had the trailer/bikes taken around the area including the high street, also attended various events around town, and also had the tie up with the study centre to try to encourage kids and their family. i know Jonathan wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he tried.

the other advertising i've seen is more recent with plenty of adverts for the Isle of Wight around the island, including flyers at the main beaches.

the lack of advertising is certainly not a new phenomenon, but with the number of people around the country that have never heard of the sport, or answer when you talk about it that they used to go and is it still running, it's very worrying.

it seems that too much is relied on the hard core support, and seeing the age of that hard core support it's got to be worrying.

even when i took pictures at speedway i would get them online for people to see, it's all got to be an advert for the sport, but in later years even that was restricted as clubs wanted to only put something out when they decide. to me that was a poor decision that denied those that couldn't make it to a meeting, or stopped people seeing something that might make them want to visit.

Very true Steve, dont advertise, keep it a closed off to other people.

4 hours ago, DBP said:

bewley & kurtz are not championship doubling up riders :nono:

3 hours ago, semion said:

Such a shame because as a Sport the excitement level is immense.  You know 15 times you have something special about to happen.  It’s like having sex 15 times a night but it only lasting a minute.

Nothing new there then Ippo fans :D

Sex is like speedway, the first one to finish is the winner...;)

• Haha 2