British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Kings Lynn vs Ipswich Witches May 17th 7.30pm

I cant really comment at my time of life my programme has quite a few  E/F listed 

At least it keeps my average down for the following season

Edited by semion

On 5/7/2021 at 12:23 PM, Trees said:

Stupid to compare our sport with bledy football with £Ms at their disposal!! If speedway was in the position they are we'd all expect something similar, UNFORTUNATELY it's not!!!!

I was merely responding to a "stupid" post that compared speedway with "22 fairies running up and down a field" (aka football). Have you ever considered the possibility that speedway may be in it's current state because of the "stupid" people who run it and the "stupid" people who willingly accept all the crap which is tossed in their direction?

Edited by Starboy118
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Baldyman said:

But someone knocking it on a forum where only speedway fans are, is not the reason it's on its behind. Lets be honest,, how many people now don't go because what a poster has put? 

I first went to the Firs in the early sixties. I no longer attend speedway because it has stopped being entertaining. It is inefficiently run (major league with just six teams) and the "entertainment" produced is very poor. There appears to be very little willingness to promote the sport with those in charge accepting that they have a fourth rate product. Numbers attending will continue to reduce with those who do actually turn up doing so out of habit and a misguided loyalty.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrss said:

With people like you taking every opportunity to knock British speedway, it’s little wonder it’s dying on its feet.

It's dying on it's feet because of the sheer incompetence of those running it and people who stubbornly refuse to recognise the obvious that has happened and is happening in front of their eyes. It's a bit silly to attempt to defend the indefensible. :sad:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Starboy118 said:

It's dying on it's feet because of the sheer incompetence of those running it and people who stubbornly refuse to recognise the obvious that has happened and is happening in front of their eyes. It's a bit silly to attempt to defend the indefensible. :sad:

The differences these days are lack of top riders (chasing the big bucks of course) and lack of screaming, shouting, passionate fans (so many older, cynical, done that, been there, got the t-shirt people, younger people have other pastimes and can't be persuaded to otherwise) .......

Speedway has always been about those 4 guys on their motorcycles trying to win each race or help their team win a meeting. Has any rider got to the tapes and thought, right I'm gonna go for entertainment value in this heat, of course not. The entertainment comes from watching riders trying to pass one another and team riding one another.  Obviously the more skilled guys can make this happen so much easier than others ....... We mustn't lose sight of the skill and daring of any rider though, the majority of us wouldn't know where to start!!

When supporters grumble because prices have increased this year, remember most clubs pulled in hardly any revenue last year, but still had fixed costs to pay.

This year, I suspect attendance will be down at least initially. Some people will still have concerns over their own personal health, mixing with others. So numbers could be down because of that.

Also, due to health concerns, the government has put into effect some measures to protect supporters. There will inevitably be a cost incurred by clubs. These costs will be passed on to supporters. 
So it’s pretty certain there would be an increase, but having said that, and taking BV as an example, you can still get into the stadium for £17 if you are a “concession” ie a senior citizen. 

• Like 2

Have KL confirmed yet how many tickets will be sold ?

On 5/8/2021 at 2:34 PM, mrss said:

With people like you taking every opportunity to knock British speedway, it’s little wonder it’s dying on its feet.

Get your head out the sand.:lol:

22 hours ago, Trees said:

The differences these days are lack of top riders (chasing the big bucks of course) and lack of screaming, shouting, passionate fans (so many older, cynical, done that, been there, got the t-shirt people, younger people have other pastimes and can't be persuaded to otherwise) .......

Speedway has always been about those 4 guys on their motorcycles trying to win each race or help their team win a meeting. Has any rider got to the tapes and thought, right I'm gonna go for entertainment value in this heat, of course not. The entertainment comes from watching riders trying to pass one another and team riding one another.  Obviously the more skilled guys can make this happen so much easier than others ....... We mustn't lose sight of the skill and daring of any rider though, the majority of us wouldn't know where to start!!

All well and good but the majority of races involve no overtaking and no team riding but, time after time, it is a case of follow the leader. Entertaining it aint. The majority of us wouldn't know where to start, of course. Similarly, how many of us would feel confident and at home running about on a professional football field? Just a thought. It is very easy to belittle something.

16 hours ago, Warriors said:

Get your head out the sand.:lol:

My head isn’t in the sand. Some people on here do nothing but point out the things that are wrong with British Speedway. It would be better if they pointed out the few good things about British Speedway instead of being negative all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrss said:

My head isn’t in the sand. Some people on here do nothing but point out the things that are wrong with British Speedway. It would be better if they pointed out the few good things about British Speedway instead of being negative all the time.

How about you tell us what's good about British Speedway?? 

7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

How about you tell us what's good about British Speedway?? 

Genuine question, how often do you attend Speedway ???

After all the hype ready for the season what’s the betting this is a rain off ! Ha

1 minute ago, Gasser90 said:

After all the hype ready for the season what’s the betting this is a rain off ! Ha

Jonah