British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Kings Lynn vs Ipswich Witches May 17th 7.30pm

2 hours ago, stu219 said:

would you walk out of a pub if the meal you normally ordered had gone up a quid as surely they will very soon.

A friend recently went to the "Freston" Boot for a standard pub meal for 2. Nothing special , just a burger and chips, apple pie and 2 drinks. When the bill came it was £75, needless to say she wont be going back. Same will happen with speedway, once the novelty of "going out" has worn off the numbers will fall off. 

Something can be £100 and value for money , whilst something could be £20 and poor value. Speedway is currently the latter.   

• Like 6

2nd bend beer hut has hit the nail on the head.  Expect intial surge of interest for the opening meeintgs. Once everybody has seen whats on offer again , crowds will drop off.

Still not long to wait for the P. offs this season. :o

3 minutes ago, bruno said:

Absolutely spot on but if costs are out of control something needs to be done because increasing admission isn't working. I've no idea the answer but we can all see the way it's going

Like i said before it's always the customer that pays the increases unfortunately,whatever the business might be.The way is to stop the greedy rich oil companies maybe,but who's going to take them on though.This is where many price rises stem from imo.

Maybe its time for a speedway european league with 6 english clubs signing up to compete, as that seems to generate alot of interest from fans ???

10 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

A friend recently went to the "Freston" Boot for a standard pub meal for 2. Nothing special , just a burger and chips, apple pie and 2 drinks. When the bill came it was £75, needless to say she wont be going back. Same will happen with speedway, once the novelty of "going out" has worn off the numbers will fall off. 

Something can be £100 and value for money , whilst something could be £20 and poor value. Speedway is currently the latter.   

wow that's an expensive  pub lol. 

value for money is for everyone to judge. Business  across the country either thrive or fail by the opinions  of their  customers. Speedway is no different. 

55 minutes ago, stu219 said:

At the end of the day it's all about what we all feel is value for money.

That’s the crux of it right there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Like i said before it's always the customer that pays the increases unfortunately,whatever the business might be.The way is to stop the greedy rich oil companies maybe,but who's going to take them on though.This is where many price rises stem from imo.

And just a side note. If the  admission is £20 remember 20% of that goes to good old Richie sunak as VAT ,so actually  the money the promoters get is less than £17. A side  point I know but please people don't think  the promoters are getting the full £20 in their pockets

• Like 1

i don't necessarilly go along with the standard 'dropping' as there's good and bad racing in all leagues, but i wonder if those riders on a certain average have held out for more money and therefore taken up the wage spots that were there previously with the 'stars' of the sport.

or

it could be that the clubs are taking a chance at opening and with so many people being furloughed or losing their jobs they want to try to get as much money in as possible to cover what possibly could be lost on the terraces

For me if it was entertaining I’d pay £20 plus.   On the flip side the way Speedway is at the moment if it was run in my back garden I’d drawer the curtains.  In other words you couldn’t make it cheap enough.

As someone who started watching when the Lynn team consisted of Betts, Simmons, Cole, Crump, Crowson,Humphreys  ( who was the other one ?). I would never have missed a Saturday night.  Including all the fill in meetings.   
oh to feel that way again

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stu219 said:

yes I see your point and tbf the last time I was at King's Lynn the track was appalling.  Made for rubbish racing. 

But also having the top riders on show does not guarantee  good racing.  I have seen more rubbish grand prix meetings than good ones over the years.

The bottom line is though do we want to have an evening out again or all sit in our living rooms as per the last 14 months and slowly stagnate?

I know the cost of admission is an issue for some and I fully understand it but as with everything in life if you feel its not value for money save your pennies and sit at home. 

I fully intend to do so. :drink:        :t:

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Why?I bet the cost to riders for their equipment,fuel and everything needed to race has gone up in the last 18 months(like everything else) so inevitably the cost per team would probably stay the same or be even more.

Anyone for F1 at £300 a pop:rolleyes:

£300 omg!!! I was gonna say do a Norfolk team compete, yes they do, Lotus haha

2 hours ago, stu219 said:

That's fair enough. I must admit I stopped going to watch Ipswich Town Football club years ago as it was then £32  for a match day ticket and the entertainment level was appalling.  I hate to think what football costs to watch now. So it's all about what people think is a fair price for what is offered. 

I go to Foxhall every meeting not just for the speedway but also the company and social interaction with mates which makes it a good evening out and breaks up the working week .

I can help you with the football question. My season ticket at Norwich for the coming season (already paid for) will cost me £18 per game. And that's for the Premier League, not League One (aka Division 3). "Mind the gap!"   ;)

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

2nd bend beer hut has hit the nail on the head.  Expect intial surge of interest for the opening meeintgs. Once everybody has seen whats on offer again , crowds will drop off.

Still not long to wait for the P. offs this season. :o

That's a good point. Avoid the bottom two places and you're in the play-offs. How inspiring is that?     :sad:

13 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

To be fair the confusion created by the EDP was not the clubs fault as the situation was quite clear in the Lynn news but the ticket situation is really poor, and not just an issue with King’s Lynn which makes it even worse. 

That's all right up to a point but if the Club was on the ball (City) they would have spotted the mistake/confusion and arranged for an immediate clarification. Better still, I insist with all press releases/items to be able to look at them first before they are released. Invariably, at least one correction/amendment is included. From a PR angle, the Club should have been all over this like a rash imho and they clearly were not.

• Like 3

not open yet?