British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Breakaway League

I'm just picking up the formation of a new breakaway league with Sittingbourne, Isle of Wight and trackless Weymouth. Not before time, the sport in the UK needs a new direction particularly at grass roots. Well done for those involved a brave move.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

I'm just picking up the formation of a new breakaway league with Sittingbourne, Isle of Wight and trackless Weymouth. Not before time, the sport in the UK needs a new direction particularly at grass roots. Well done for those involved a brave move.

Sittingbourne or Iwade? Out of interest. 

No there was something in the Dorset Echo about Weymouth Wildcats joining a breakaway league. Couldn't open the link so don't know the details.

Sittingbourne and Iwade are the same. It's not a joke and why should it be Speedway is in a dire mess.

3 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Sittingbourne and Iwade are the same. It's not a joke and why should it be Speedway is in a dire mess.

And that's going to fix things is it?

11 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

i'm guessing it's the Iwade track that has been there for years as a training (and briefly league) track

15 minutes ago, stevehone said:

i'm guessing it's the Iwade track that has been there for years as a training (and briefly league) track

I would imagine so too. Pieman said Iwade and Sittingbourne are the same, but they aren't.

The formation of a breakaway league at grass roots is good. Speedway is in a dire position and could become extinct if something is not done fast. How many teams are in the Premier League? We need something inexpensive approachable and affordable for the riders and public. Expensive 500cc high maintenance methanol burning engines does not help? No point living in the 70's those days will never come back.

Sorry Ray I'll be corrected; been out of it with a serious illness recently.

• Thanks 1

I would argue that speedway at grass roots isn't in a dire situation. In the past few years the junior championship has grown in numbers thanks to a lot of effort from volunteers. There are now several clubs, albeit mainly in the north, who have a pathway all the way from National Junior League (125 / 250 and 500cc), to National League, to Premier League, Eastbourne has exactly the same, while Kent has both a National and Premier League setup.

The Premier League is also setting up a new junior league this season. You have to wait to see how that pans out before commenting.

There is also a thriving amateur scene at both Redcar and Scunthorpe.

I get the feeling the promotion at Isle of Wight will be supportive of the breakaway league, since they withdrew from the National League. But if they couldn't sell the National league product to sponsors, how are they going to sell an amateur product? 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

The interesting thing about this development is that there appears to be an alternative organisation to the BSPA, and one which is acceptable to the FIM so clubs who feel disgruntled about having no say in how their league is being run or who disagree with the imposition of rules which they think are wrong, seem to be free to give their alliegance to this organisation without any of their riders incurring any penalties.

I certainly can't see the BSPA being in any way happy about this!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

The interesting thing about this development is that there appears to be an alternative organisation to the BSPA, and one which is acceptable to the FIM so clubs who feel disgruntled about having no say in how their league is being run or who disagree with the imposition of rules which they think are wrong, seem to be free to give their alliegance to this organisation without any of their riders incurring any penalties.

I certainly can't see the BSPA being in any way happy about this!

I'm surprised the FIM have any opinion on this.

39 minutes ago, topsoil said:

I would argue that speedway at grass roots isn't in a dire situation. In the past few years the junior championship has grown in numbers thanks to a lot of effort from volunteers. There are now several clubs, albeit mainly in the north, who have a pathway all the way from National Junior League (125 / 250 and 500cc), to National League, to Premier League, Eastbourne has exactly the same, while Kent has both a National and Premier League setup.

The Premier League is also setting up a new junior league this season. You have to wait to see how that pans out before commenting.

There is also a thriving amateur scene at both Redcar and Scunthorpe.

I get the feeling the promotion at Isle of Wight will be supportive of the breakaway league, since they withdrew from the National League. But if they couldn't sell the National league product to sponsors, how are they going to sell an amateur product? 

Where has it been stated that IOW had problems with sponsorship?  The reason they have withdrawn from BSPL is due to rule changes for the National League inc points limits, without any chance to vote or comment. As IOW have said they have even sounded out joining the French league and are planning a full summer programme of meetings.

• Like 2