British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Breakaway League

41 minutes ago, foamfence said:

I'm surprised the FIM have any opinion on this.

They will when a “breakaway league” rider wants a FIM licence without a valid FMN license from a member federation of FIM. Until then its non of their concern.

On their Facebook branding they are remain the Wightlink Warriors, which suggests to me that they are still able to attract sponsors.

Edited by arnieg

30 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

They will when a “breakaway league” rider wants a FIM licence without a valid FMN license from a member federation of FIM. Until then its non of their concern.

I'd be very surprised if any of the likely riders here reach that standard.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Where has it been stated that IOW had problems with sponsorship?  The reason they have withdrawn from BSPL is due to rule changes for the National League inc points limits, without any chance to vote or comment. As IOW have said they have even sounded out joining the French league and are planning a full summer programme of meetings.

The promotion were quoted as saying they couldn't sell the National League product to sponsors because of the reduction in points limit.

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The Crayford Kestrels down at Lydd could be a possible member.

Good to see Lydd  are still going....is Malcolm Smith still running it ?

2 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Good to see Lydd  are still going....is Malcolm Smith still running it ?

He's still there. I went to 2 behind closed doors meetings last year. I always enjoy going to Lydd.

No one tell Gary Neville about this for gods sake....;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Where has it been stated that IOW had problems with sponsorship?  The reason they have withdrawn from BSPL is due to rule changes for the National League inc points limits, without any chance to vote or comment. As IOW have said they have even sounded out joining the French league and are planning a full summer programme of meetings.

What's the latest on the French thing? 

11 hours ago, foamfence said:

I'd be very surprised if any of the likely riders here reach that standard.

Probably not. What about when a rider from this new league wants to jump ship to a league under BSPA during a season?

10 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Probably not. What about when a rider from this new league wants to jump ship to a league under BSPA during a season?

Not Speedway I know, but there's nothing to stop a rider with an AMCA licence holding an ACU licence at the same time and riding in events organised under both governing bodies.

6 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

European super league speedway has been proposed.

Waste of time and effort.

Perhaps we are witnessing and maybe it's a good opportunity for speedway to have a watershed. If speedway is to survive here in England and Scotland, starting from the bottom up with a breakaway league, could be the 'acorn'.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not Speedway I know, but there's nothing to stop a rider with an AMCA licence holding an ACU licence at the same time and riding in events organised under both governing bodies.

Neither is there anything to stop one set-up refusing to employ riders from another.

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

European super league speedway has been proposed, no British teams were invited.

Was there one proposed a few years ago, with the top two from GB, Poland, Sweden and Denmark?