British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Breakaway League

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

Neither is there anything to stop one set-up refusing to employ riders from another.

If it's Amateur I don't think "employ" is the word. In the past the ACU tried and failed to ban AMCA licence holders from riding in ACU events.

25 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Was there one proposed a few years ago, with the top two from GB, Poland, Sweden and Denmark?  

Yes 

Whilst I’m not against this idea I’m just wondering how any of this can progress when it appears only one or two existing tracks are involved. We appear to have the rebellious Isle of Wight and a non league track ( is it two ? ). That is hardly a ‘ league ‘. 
There is a shortage of riders at the moment so are these ‘ clubs ‘ to use other official leagues riders ? or is it just unattached and probably therefore ‘ junior/novice ‘ riders ?

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

If it's Amateur I don't think "employ" is the word. In the past the ACU tried and failed to ban AMCA licence holders from riding in ACU events.

Employ as in 'use'. I was thinking more of the BSPA but there's a long way to go yet.

It's interesting watching discussions on the football breakaway league on TV this morning.

People are basically saying that it is not sport if teams can chose their league based on finance and that it cannot be a proper sport if there is no accountability through promotion or relegation as it doesn't matter if you lose.

Remind you of anything?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It's interesting watching discussions on the football breakaway league on TV this morning.

People are basically saying that it is not sport if teams can chose their league based on finance and that it cannot be a proper sport if there is no accountability through promotion or relegation as it doesn't matter if you lose.

Remind you of anything?

Yes, the circus that this forum is dedicated to.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

If it's amateur "unpaid" is the word.

Certainly many points of interest here. On the speedway "breakaway league". exiles league or whatever they may be formed of good luck to them. The sport needs more opportunities at every level from pee wee youth through to veterans and everything in between at all standards, elitism and snobbery is one of the big drawbacks of the sport and every venture should be supported and nurtured "in the best interests of speedway".

As for the ball kicky stuff its a bold move and should be considered a one way venture but the last sporting breakaway (darts) went pretty well. Im not saying that the football venture will become the leading light and the lower divisions will ultimately crumble but it has proven that by setting the bar at a certain level only the cream compete and the standard has continued to rise. Its not a closed shop though and only those who remain present are those who are there on merit

56 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Remind you of anything?

Just wait till they talk about every team in the ESL being allowed to borrow players from other teams to cover any injuries or prior appointments.. :D

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

Rebellious..... interesting.... Very hard to rebel against an organisation that dictates and doesnt communicate or even want to communicate with clubs that their decisions directly affect while having little or no consequence on their own business.... perhaps you meant standing up for ourselves and not allowing ourselves to be bullied in to joining something imposed upon us?

We will see what happens in the future  :) then we can look back and see.

As a side note, none of our meetings planned on the IOW in 2021 will involve "league" racing.

What's happening with the fast cat situation Barry. Someone told me that when the service resumes, the last boat back to the mainland will be 20.52!

22 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

What's happening with the fast cat situation Barry. Someone told me that when the service resumes, the last boat back to the mainland will be 20.52!

Just seen that... I will havea  word with them and find out. Thanks for the note.

Maybe Iwade/Sittingbourne, Isle of Wight Lydd and Weymouth could come together with some French, Italian and Spanish teams and form the European Super League?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Rebellious..... interesting.... Very hard to rebel against an organisation that dictates and doesnt communicate or even want to communicate with clubs that their decisions directly affect while having little or no consequence on their own business.... perhaps you meant standing up for ourselves and not allowing ourselves to be bullied in to joining something imposed upon us?

We will see what happens in the future  :) then we can look back and see.

As a side note, none of our meetings planned on the IOW in 2021 will involve "league" racing.

No malice intended, just a phrase.
So I.O.W. Not involved in this ‘break away ‘ league ?

Guest compost
18 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Barry, just curious but does that mean that you will not be involved in the French League this year then ?

Best of luck this season.