British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Visa's and Immigration Rules

19 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

We shall see.

Australia is pushing for something along those lines as part of any trade deal, but the UK doesn't want that which is why the trade talks are not going well. After all the fuss about '20 million Romanians coming to the UK', why would the same government want to allow '25 million Australians to come to the UK'? 

I have to say that I also don't see Australia agreeing to free-for-all from the UK either, even though it's largely irrelevant from a speedway perspective these days. 

On this morning's news, the talks were said to be going well. The rest of your comments is a non-sequitur: while the fuss over the Romanians was justified, I can't see that 25 million Aussies will want to come here. They are better off at home, except for a season's speedway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, *JJ said:

On this morning's news, the talks were said to be going well. The rest of your comments is a non-sequitur: while the fuss over the Romanians was justified, I can't see that 25 million Aussies will want to come here. They are better off at home, except for a season's speedway.

25 million Aussies are no more likely to come to the UK than 20 million Romanians, but it was still used as an argument to end freedom of movement. So after all the fuss about 'taking control of the borders', why would the UK allow a free for all from Australia?

6 hours ago, heathen52 said:

I very much think the exodus may be the other way with Brits going to Australia, probably Australia, and New Zealand, are more British than Britain these days.

In terms of permanent migration, there's probably more Brits headed to Australia than vice versa. But there's probably as much short-term migration the other way which is actually what Australia is concerned about as they fear losing skilled people to the UK, whilst they get unskilled backpackers in return.

Having visited Australia many times I’m surprised that any of them would bother coming here.

As far as gammons are concerned Australians are white and speak English so are perfectly ok to let in

51 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

As far as gammons are concerned Australians are white and speak English so are perfectly ok to let in

The first part is irrelevant (they are white) but the second (and speak English) is pertinent and a perfectly acceptable expectation 

• Like 1

London pubs will soon be needing barmen again...

Pints dont serve themselves...;)

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The first part is irrelevant (they are white) but the second (and speak English) is pertinent and a perfectly acceptable expectation 

Sorry to disappoint, but they're not all white. 

Quite aside from the 800k Aborigines (remember them?) who are most definitely not white, there's 1.5 million ethnic Chinese, a million or so ethnic South Asians, and probably another million South-East Asians. All told, probably about 5 million of the population is non-white, and another 2.5 million of non-British or Irish European origin - so around 30% of the Australian population. 

Would think nearly half the immigrants to Australia in the past few years have come from China, Hong Kong, and South Asia.  

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Having visited Australia many times I’m surprised that any of them would bother coming here.

4 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

33 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Quite aside from the 800k Aborigines (remember them?) who are most definitely not white, there's 1.5 million ethnic Chinese, a million or so ethnic South Asians, and probably another million South-East Asians. All told, probably about 5 million of the population is non-white, and another 2.5 million of non-British or Irish European origin - so around 30% of the Australian population. 

Would think nearly half the immigrants to Australia in the past few years have come from China, Hong Kong, and South Asia.  

I think you misread my meaning. Them being all white is as you say wrong and as I said irrelevant regardless of accuracy

I don't doubt your figures at all. Of course of the 70% you estimate a significant proportion view the sizeable minority in a similar way to the Romanians are here in Britain....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And if you watch Nothing to Declare most of them don't understand the words food and prohibited

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

25 million Aussies are no more likely to come to the UK than 20 million Romanians, but it was still used as an argument to end freedom of movement. So after all the fuss about 'taking control of the borders', why would the UK allow a free for all from Australia?

Why not? No Aussie with any sense would come here except for a bit of tourism or temporary work, such as riding a speedway bike.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Of course of the 70% you estimate a significant proportion view the sizeable minority in a similar way to the Romanians are here in Britain....

This is probably more a discussion for the never-ending Brexit thread, but there are bigoted people - largely the older generation it must be said - everywhere. I am part of the 70% and think the Chinese, Indians, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Malays and Bangladeshis are largely well educated, hard working decent people who make an important contribution to Australia, and I'd say attitudes you're referring to are not as widespread as you perhaps imagine. Australian immigration policy largely also agrees.

Bringing this back to the discussion on this thread, if the UK makes more visas available for Australia or even allows complete freedom-of-movement, some people will need to accept that Australia is no longer the Anglo-Saxon country they perhaps still believe. Not that I think there are (m)any Asian speedway riders, so it's perhaps a moot point...  

• Like 1

Dragging up an old thread to ask a question that I asked in some team threads earlier in the year but never saw an answer...

Does anyone know what the visa rules are for riders that are from EU nations now?

I had another search online but couldn't find details for this year...What experience/ability does an EU rider require to get a visa to race in the UK leagues now?

9 hours ago, HenryW said:

Dragging up an old thread to ask a question that I asked in some team threads earlier in the year but never saw an answer...

Does anyone know what the visa rules are for riders that are from EU nations now?

I had another search online but couldn't find details for this year...What experience/ability does an EU rider require to get a visa to race in the UK leagues now?

Given that the chair of the BSPL is reportedly having visa issues with Tero Aarnio (who at the start of the season was reigning national champion) the answers would appear to be no and nobody knows.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You believe that one regarding Aarnio.

I always believe everything Rob Godfrey says without question, for is he not the wisest oracle in the universe?

• Haha 3