British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Wombwell 1947

Guest compost

Long shot but does anyone have a Wombwell programme from 1947 ?  I'm trying to find out if the programme gave the track record (if so, then what was the TR during the season ? I've got 81.6 from 1931 and 79.6 from April 1948)

Thanks

According to Howard Jones's Pocket size series of Defunct Speedway tracks for Wombwell, the track record for the opening meeting was 89.2 set by Stan Hodson on 9 May whilst the track record was set by Dick Campbell on the 10 October at 80.2.

Hope this helps.

13 hours ago, compost said:

Long shot but does anyone have a Wombwell programme from 1947 ?  I'm trying to find out if the programme gave the track record (if so, then what was the TR during the season ? I've got 81.6 from 1931 and 79.6 from April 1948)

Thanks

Match reports state that Hodson set a record of 87.0 in the opening meeting on 9th May 1947.  Speedway Researcher website has Gibson recording a time of 79.8 in this meeting, but this is incorrect and should be 89.8.  Len Tupling lowered the record to 86.0 on 16th May 1947.  Wombwell programmes later stated that a track record of 83.2 was set by Harwood Pike on 26th May 1947, with a track length of 443 yards.  Jimmy Coy recorded 82.6 in heat 1 on 15th August 1947, bettered by Ted Gibson and Cyril Page with 82.2 on 21st August 1947, before Vic Pitcher lowered the record to 81.2 on 29th August 1947.  There are a handful of lower times shown on the Speedway Researcher website, but these are incorrect, in some cases being 10 seconds faster than other races during the meetings concerned, mostly by riders who would certainly not have achieved such fast times. 

The two lap record was set on 6th June 1947 by Len Tupling, with a time of 44.0 seconds.

Edited by BL65

22 hours ago, compost said:

Thanks

My earliest Wombwell programme in my collection is Handicap & Scratch Racing 23/06/1930, i have 5 1948 but no 47s

Guest compost

Many thanks everyone for the help, appreciated.

23 hours ago, steve19620 said:

According to Howard Jones's Pocket size series of Defunct Speedway tracks for Wombwell, the track record for the opening meeting was 89.2 set by Stan Hodson on 9 May whilst the track record was set by Dick Campbell on the 10 October at 80.2.

Hope this helps.

I have the Wombwell programme for 10th October 1947, together with a cutting of a newspaper report, which confirm that Campbell set a new track record of 80.2 in heat 1.

I have the programme from 17th October 1947, the last meeting of the season. It confirms the 80.2 by Dick Campbell as the record and furthermore it was not broken during this meeting.