British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Larry Ross on "Blue Peter"

Does anyone recall the occasion when the then Wimbledon rider Larry Ross appeared on the children's TV programme "Blue Peter"? I'm guessing that it would have been during 1977/78 but remember very little about it except that he took his bike to the studio?

Couldn`t find it but found

1 Blue Peter went to the shay featuring Ian Cartwright 

2 Blue Peter at Hackney- Peter Purves and John Noakes with Len Silver  

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

I've never seen the Shay clip before...thanks for posting! Can't place the presenter though? I've met Ian Cartwright a number of times at his "Mouseman" works in Kilburn. Nice unassuming bloke!

Edited by steve roberts

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I've never seen the Shay clip before...thanks for posting! Can't place the presenter though? I've met Ian Cartwright a number of times at his "Mouseman" works in Kilburn. Nice unassuming bloke!

Peter Duncan possibly

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Peter Duncan possibly

Looks like Peter Duncan when putting the helmet on but doesn't sound like him?

Not Peter Duncan. Before his time.

Christopher Wenner is the guy. The clip has been on here before.

Larry Ross did not appear in the Blue Peter Studio. Ivan Mauger did, about 1973.

Edited by Grand Central

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Not Peter Duncan. Before his time.

Christopher Wenner is the guy. The clip has been on here before.

Larry Ross did not appear in the Blue Peter Studio. Ivan Mauger did, about 1973.

I'm sure Larry Ross appeared on some kid's programme ("Magpie" pehaps?) because all I recall is that he talked about how a speedway engine, tuned to perfection, always ran the risk of blowing up!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I'm sure Larry Ross appeared on some kid's programme ("Magpie" pehaps?) because all I recall is that he talked about how a speedway engine, tuned to perfection, always ran the risk of blowing up!

Can't say I remember Larry on there... Having said that, I don't remember the Shay clip, but then again, that was after my BP-watching days.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Watching Magpie for a glimpse of Jenny Hanley, no doubt

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Watching Magpie for a glimpse of Jenny Hanley, no doubt

...that's why I think that it was "Blue Peter" as I rarely watched "Magpie"!

5 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Ivan appeared with the gold bike as I recall. Can't remember who it was, but the presenter asked Ivan if the bike could, in theory, be fired up. He confirmed that it could, but he would not, of course, do so. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, False dawn said:

Ivan appeared with the gold bike as I recall. Can't remember who it was, but the presenter asked Ivan if the bike could, in theory, be fired up. He confirmed that it could, but he would not, of course, do so. 

Peter Purves.

36 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Peter Purves.

Thanks GC. And of course, the innocence of youth never let me think what an unfortunate surname that was :P We did used to call Valerie, Singlet on!