British Speedway Forum
SUPERACE

Belle Vue v Sheffield, Monday May 17th 7:30pm

30 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Eurosport will drag the meeting out 

Pathetic comment. based on no facts whatsoever.

Eurosport haven't even screened a single meeting yet, and here's a supposed Speedway fan slagging them off for giving our sport 4 hours of coverage; an hour of which will be a highlights programme on Free-to-air TV for the first time.

I wonder how many football fans moan about 4-hour programmes covering a football match?   

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Pathetic comment. based on no facts whatsoever.

Eurosport haven't even screened a single meeting yet, and here's a supposed Speedway fan slagging them off for giving our sport 4 hours of coverage; an hour of which will be a highlights programme on Free-to-air TV for the first time.

I wonder how many football fans moan about 4-hour programmes covering a football match?   

The football fans are in the pub till last minute, on a cold night its not good standing around with no racing while tv watchers see the start of that last race for the 10th time.i know because have been to many sky nights time drags on!

11 hours ago, geoff100 said:

A 3 hr slot on tv for 15 races is a bit much plus a 3 hr drive home am pleased i cant get a ticket lol

More toilet breaks for older viewers. B)

• Haha 1

Dan Bewley & Brady Kurtz were able to travel from Poland for a practise so should be no problem with meetings.

• Like 3

That's a very good sign. Can't wait for Monday

Regarding the 3 hour time slot. Alot of that is analysis after the meeting. They going in mote depth apparently.  Also, the programme starts at 7pm I think. I full 30 mins before tapes up. 

So I'd imagine it would be no different to any normal TV meeting we have had in the past 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob B said:

Dan Bewley & Brady Kurtz were able to travel from Poland for a practise so should be no problem with meetings.

Commitment is everything to us fans. And these two making a show for P&P shows they will put everything on the line for us. This is great to see. 

Great to see. Gonna be a good season for us. 

And don't they bloody look good. Cant wait for Monday 

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 1

Do we know the lineups for Monday's meetings? There appears to be two number 3s in the Belle Vue Team!! I imagine it'll be

1. Brady Kurtz

2. Richie Worrall

3. Dan Bewley

4. Steve Worrall (c)

5. Charles Wright

6. Jye Etheridge

7. Tom Brennan

and

1. Troy Batchelor

2. Justin Sedgmen

3. Adam Ellis

4. Kyle Howarth (c)

5. Jack Holder

6. James Wright

7. Josh Bates

Looks a close encounter!!

Edited by Dandelion

Probably the only two teams in the league that you can look at the line-ups and think that they see half-decent.

1 minute ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Funny how people's expectations have been lowered in the "premiership" 

2 "half decent"  teams which would be competitive in the championship.

I guess it's about looking at who is in the team and thinking that they are worth watching.

My expectations were lowered a few years back when Arena-Essex turned up at Swindon and I looked at their side and thought they looked extremely weak and unattractive. They then proceeded to win the match so I realised it must be all teams that are like that.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:20 AM, geoff100 said:

The football fans are in the pub till last minute, on a cold night its not good standing around with no racing while tv watchers see the start of that last race for the 10th time.i know because have been to many sky nights time drags on!

Yes have a good point and it will be interesting to see how many fans attend matches rather than watch it at home, even before the pandemic, televised meetings were always poorly attended, because people don't want to be hanging around for ages with nothing going on, I gave up going on Sky nights because I had already paid for sky so I was saving £20 plus petrol.

90 mins is about right for a 15 heat meeting, once you start going beyond that, natural boredom will start kicking in and people in general do not have threshold for long drawn out events now, whether its sport or a film or whatever unless there is always something keeping you invested and on the edge of your seat.

• Like 1

While familiarity breeds contempt, the very novelty of a televised match can work the other way in certain situations. 

At Berwick, there were four meetings over the final four years of the Sky contract.  Each took place on a Tuesday, but were heavily promoted locally as being 'live on TV'.

Each Sky meeting attracted much-bigger crowds than the normal Saturday audiences.

This despite just about every other attempt over many years to run midweek at Berwick proving financially disastrous.

grandstand  and South stand now sold out. ibeleive there are some tickets re standing on the East side... 3 rd and Fourth bend.

Edited by Gunner85

Marko, we are definitely on the same page on this re length of meetings.  The only plus point of a televised meeting is that the TV company do have a schedule to follow, and barring a disaster will not tolerate all the incessant time wasting that goes on in the sport .  It might take 2 hours , but it will be 2 hours.

I agree though 15 heats in 90 minutes is the right answer , that now seems impossible to achieve.

When I first went to speedway you could watch a league match (typically 13 heats), an interval and half a dozen heats of second half racing and see some novices practicing afterwards and still  leave the stadium by 10 pm after a 7.45 pm start.  The 2 minute warning was only sounded when a rider clearly was having problems getting to the start .....  I suggest now that a meeting would never  START, UNLESS  the ref sounded the 2 minute warning  ! The riders would just sit at the pit gates posing. C'est speedway in the 21st century. :-(   : -(