British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

Enough Is Enough

Pleased to see that British Speedway is joining the social media boycott against online abuse and discrimination. 

This forum has sadly been a hotbed for insults against others both riders and others involved within the sport. I myself am certainly no angel in that respect and have often allowed emotions and personal opinions of people affect what i have posted about individuals/organisations. 

Therefore from now on i pledge to only comment upon riding performances, issues and incidents. To ratify that any of my comments are solely noted as my opinion on a particular matter. Perhaps most importantly to not making any sweeping statements but rather offer the my suggested course of action that may be required e.g replacing "he won't make a league speedway rider all the while its a two wheeled sport" with "i think that particular rider would benefit from additional time at a lower level and coaching on the techniques required to be a safe and successful speedway rider"

With any fortune my pledge lasts and a few others follow suit. 

• Like 3

On 4/30/2021 at 2:17 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Pleased to see that British Speedway is joining the social media boycott against online abuse and discrimination. 

This forum has sadly been a hotbed for insults against others both riders and others involved within the sport. I myself am certainly no angel in that respect and have often allowed emotions and personal opinions of people affect what i have posted about individuals/organisations. 

Therefore from now on i pledge to only comment upon riding performances, issues and incidents. To ratify that any of my comments are solely noted as my opinion on a particular matter. Perhaps most importantly to not making any sweeping statements but rather offer the my suggested course of action that may be required e.g replacing "he won't make a league speedway rider all the while its a two wheeled sport" with "i think that particular rider would benefit from additional time at a lower level and coaching on the techniques required to be a safe and successful speedway rider"

With any fortune my pledge lasts and a few others follow suit. 

Don't make any apologies for having an opinion mate. The social media "blackout" is just token bandwagon jumping. Some things do get very personal on here I agree and the perpetrators are a small minority of keyboard warriors. Criticism is a good thing as long as it's constructive.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is becoming the norm now that you are not allowed to have one unless it is the correct one and on the approved playlist. Unfortunately everything now has to be this sugar coated world of unicorns and rainbows.   

• Like 8

I've been guilty in the past, too. Opinions and differences are fine but too many people seem not to have the skills to express themselves appropriately. Perhaps a stricter group of admins? Day/ week/ month bans. And for heavens sake - one account per person!! Maybe use our real names?

I just think Twitter is a farce. There is so much abuse on their, mostly posted by unidentifiable people, and this abuse then gets posted as a story in Daily Newspapers. (Fans unhappy about... etc)

I'm pretty convinced that most if this stuff is posted by journalists with fake accounts so that they can then criticise people and report on it as if it is a balanced report with quotes when they are merely quoting themselves.

As for a 4 day boycott by the sporting world, big deal. Nobody will even hardly notice. If people are genuinely fed up with the abuse they get on Social Media, the answer is simple. Don't go on it.

• Like 9

some unnecessary rudeness on the Swindon thread - absolutely no need - admin should be acting

4 hours ago, ch958 said:

some unnecessary rudeness on the Swindon thread - absolutely no need - admin should be acting

Seen in Social Media... "Fans discussing Swindon Speedway's future, then THIS happened..."

On 5/3/2021 at 1:51 PM, Grachan said:

I just think Twitter is a farce. There is so much abuse on their, mostly posted by unidentifiable people, and this abuse then gets posted as a story in Daily Newspapers. (Fans unhappy about... etc)

I'm pretty convinced that most if this stuff is posted by journalists with fake accounts so that they can then criticise people and report on it as if it is a balanced report with quotes when they are merely quoting themselves.

As for a 4 day boycott by the sporting world, big deal. Nobody will even hardly notice. If people are genuinely fed up with the abuse they get on Social Media, the answer is simple. Don't go on it.

A bit like saying, if you're fed up with being assaulted, don't go outside?

2 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

A bit like saying, if you're fed up with being assaulted, don't go outside?

More like, if you don't want to be covered in liquid waste and sewage don't jump into a cess pit.

Does anyone know if any good came out of the boycott, social media platforms haven't got us to sign in quoting our national insurance number yet, that's the only way to make people accountable isn't it?